bow building links

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2002
      Here are some of the links I use to build bows. I did most of my
      shooting this summer with a 50 pound board bow built from 1x2 piece
      of red oak bought at Home Depot.

      http://www.primitivearcher.com
      This is good starting point. It is the website for the primitive
      archer magazine. The forum groups are very useful. There is also a
      page of useful links which can take you off to different sites for
      building bows, arrows, and everything else.

      http://www.spiritbows.com/byoarchery.html
      A good page of links. Includes a link to SCA Rattan Bow building
      page. I have built a few bows using George's board bow page. I
      haven't tried the panda bow on this page but this is your ultimate
      simple bow made of bamboo garden canes lashed together. You can have
      a bow for under $5 and build it in a shorter time than it will take
      to make the bowstring.

      http://residents.bowhunting.net/sticknstring/bowyer.html
      I found this page really useful to figure out what the hell was meant
      by tillering. The bowyer has included lots of tillering pictures and
      pointed out what was wrong and what needed to be done.

      http://www.stickbow.com
      I prefer the primitive archer site but this is a similiar page.
      There are instructions for building a set of laminated youth bows.
      Might be useful for a group wanting to loaner equipment. Some nice
      arrow making articles.

      If you build and shoot your own bow, be extra paranoid about your bow
      inspection. While bows do explode on occasion, they often give some
      signs ahead of time. I have had two failures that I caught before
      they had a chance to explode. (Both bows were silk backed which helps
      prevents catastrophic failures but does not eliminate it.) If you
      don't know what to look for (or listen for), talk to range marshall.

      James Wolfden
    • gary sz
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2002
        Excellent links, thanks.