Re: [SCA-Archery] Hand shock

  • gary
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
      Are there any online sources for bow building?
      gary
      On Wednesday, November 6, 2002, at 09:39 AM, cwilson@... wrote:

      > I have little experience with longbows, but I have been happy with my
      > woodbows.com longbow. The first thing I needed to adjust to was
      > wearing an
      > arm brace. With a recurve, I have never slapped my arm, inherit in
      > the way
      > I hold the bow I just never scrape my own skin off. BUT, the longbow
      > seems
      > to follow threw and hit my wrist bones. So, I got an arm guard.
      >
      > I would love to have a horn-nocked bow from Baron Bows, but that $95
      > worth
      > of saved pennies will have to wait.
      >
      > -Caedmon

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      gary
    • hanhebin
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
        > I have found that once I get tin the habit of following through, my
        > speed rounds improve as I no longer wait for the shot to hit and my
        > form is constant (just faster).

        While it helps speed rounds it sure makes things difficult to go back
        to shooting 3 arrows in 2 minutes. I have to intentionally avoid
        speed rounds before mundane competition because firing too rapidly
        takes at least 10 to 20 points off my score.

        Michael
      • Carolus Eulenhorst
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
          In this I concur, shooting too fast can be deleterious to accuracy. I
          make a conscious effort in untimed competitions (regardless of venue) to
          slow down and take my time. Were it not for the short distances of SCA
          competitions I would have a difficult time with the speed ends.

          In service to the dream
          Carolus von Eulenhorst
          eulenhorst@...

          On Thu, 07 Nov 2002 03:02:29 -0000 "hanhebin" <hamberg@...> writes:
          > > I have found that once I get tin the habit of following through,
          > my
          > > speed rounds improve as I no longer wait for the shot to hit and
          > my
          > > form is constant (just faster).
          >
          > While it helps speed rounds it sure makes things difficult to go
          > back
          > to shooting 3 arrows in 2 minutes. I have to intentionally avoid
          > speed rounds before mundane competition because firing too rapidly
          > takes at least 10 to 20 points off my score.
          >
          > Michael

          Only $9.95 per month!
          Visit www.juno.com
        • hanhebin
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 7, 2002
            > In this I concur, shooting too fast can be deleterious to accuracy.
            > I make a conscious effort in untimed competitions (regardless of
            > venue) to slow down and take my time. Were it not for the short
            > distances of SCA competitions I would have a difficult time with
            > the speed ends.

            NOT BEING CRITICAL OF THOSE THAT SHOOT OUTSTANDING SPEED ROUNDS

            I've always wanted to see how archers that shoot good at the point
            blank distances we shoot in the SCA would do versus longer
            distances. Say maybe 100 yards on a 122 cm face. I've heard of many
            40+ 20 yard speed round scores but wonder how that would translate
            versus an archer that got just 3 or 4 good shots off considering a
            longer distance.

            In mundane shooting a shot that hits blue for me at 18 meters on a 40
            cm target will MISS at 90 meters on a 122 cm target. I've seen a
            minor string plucks shooting indoor FITAs still strike gold but
            completely miss while shooting the longer FITA distances outdoors.
            Just curious what anybody knows about the numbers of speed round
            scores versus static scores shooting at longer distances like a York
            Round.

            Michael
          • Harry Bilings
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 7, 2002
              Remind my in March or April and I will let you kmow how mine turned out. I
              plan to shoot at 40 , 60, and 80 yds with a 122 cm target. May move to 100
              yds just for fun.

              plachoya

              humble archer
              Ravens Fort Ansteorra

              >From: "hanhebin" <hamberg@...>
              >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Hand shock
              >Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 22:08:16 -0000
              >
              > > In this I concur, shooting too fast can be deleterious to accuracy.
              > > I make a conscious effort in untimed competitions (regardless of
              > > venue) to slow down and take my time. Were it not for the short
              > > distances of SCA competitions I would have a difficult time with
              > > the speed ends.
              >
              >NOT BEING CRITICAL OF THOSE THAT SHOOT OUTSTANDING SPEED ROUNDS
              >
              >I've always wanted to see how archers that shoot good at the point
              >blank distances we shoot in the SCA would do versus longer
              >distances. Say maybe 100 yards on a 122 cm face. I've heard of many
              >40+ 20 yard speed round scores but wonder how that would translate
              >versus an archer that got just 3 or 4 good shots off considering a
              >longer distance.
              >
              >In mundane shooting a shot that hits blue for me at 18 meters on a 40
              >cm target will MISS at 90 meters on a 122 cm target. I've seen a
              >minor string plucks shooting indoor FITAs still strike gold but
              >completely miss while shooting the longer FITA distances outdoors.
              >Just curious what anybody knows about the numbers of speed round
              >scores versus static scores shooting at longer distances like a York
              >Round.
              >
              >Michael

            • hanhebin
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 7, 2002
                > Remind my in March or April and I will let you kmow how mine turned
                > out. I plan to shoot at 40 , 60, and 80 yds with a 122 cm target.
                > May move to 100 yds just for fun.

                The further out the better because I have noticed that with a fully
                loaded Olympic recurve that even the slightest error is greatly
                magnified. I think a person shooting 3 or 4 good shots in 30 seconds
                at 100 yards will consistantly out score somebody shooting 10 arrows
                in that same period.

                I have hard data to back that up with execpt being familar with
                losing ACEs or X10s because I goof a 90 meter shot. With arrows
                costing between $30 and $60 a piece, you tend to remember each miss
                and what you did wrong. With knowing "MY MISTAKES" can't see a person
                shooting good enough to consitantly hit more a couple of arrows
                firing at a 10 arrow pace.

                Michael
              • Eadric Anstapa
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 7, 2002
                  From: "hanhebin" <hamberg@...>

                  > The further out the better because I have noticed that with a fully
                  > loaded Olympic recurve that even the slightest error is greatly
                  > magnified.

                  I have always enjoyed that the great Howard Hill was noted as saying on
                  several occasions that he was not good enough to shoot a recurve. When
                  asked to explain the statement he would reply that recurves were simply too
                  unforgiving for his taste and in his experience they amplified the smallest
                  of mistakes. Therefore Howard Hill stayed with his longbows.

                  Regards,

                  Lord Eadric Anstapa
                  Kingdom Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
                  eadric@...
                • starkey arthur
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 8, 2002
                    > The further out the better because I have noticed that with a fully
                    > loaded Olympic recurve that even the slightest error is greatly
                    > magnified.

                    I have always enjoyed that the great Howard Hill was noted as saying on
                    several occasions that he was not good enough to shoot a recurve. When
                    asked to explain the statement he would reply that recurves were simply too
                    unforgiving for his taste and in his experience they amplified the smallest
                    of mistakes. Therefore Howard Hill stayed with his longbows.

                    Regards,

                    Lord Eadric Anstapa
                    Kingdom Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
                    eadric@...

                    So did Ben Pierson except for trick shots.

                    Lord Artair Macmora

                  • hanhebin
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 8, 2002
                      >> The further out the better because I have noticed that with a fully
                      >> loaded Olympic recurve that even the slightest error is greatly
                      >> magnified.

                      > I have always enjoyed that the great Howard Hill was noted as
                      > saying on several occasions that he was not good enough to shoot a
                      > recurve. When asked to explain the statement he would reply that
                      > recurves were simply too unforgiving for his taste and in his
                      > experience they amplified the smallest of mistakes. Therefore
                      > Howard Hill stayed with his longbows.

                      Magnified for me is plucking my string and launching an arrow in the
                      8 ring on a 40cm target and in the SCA that would still be a gold and
                      considered a good shot. I don't think Howard Hill was speaking or
                      even considering the current technology when he made his statement.
                      I don't want to ramble on about the accuracy of the current
                      technology but there are reasons why good limbs cost over $600.

                      Michael
                    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 9, 2002
                        I have had some experience with this kind of shooting(100yard "Iron Man")
                        If I have time to range in and get the wind correction, I can get 2-3 on a
                        122cm face out of six. When going to speed mode the scores are less
                        consistent but I still get off 5-6 arrows in 30 sec. with 1-3 on target.
                        Without ranging in.... all bets are off.

                        James Cunningham