Re: [SCA-Archery] Hand shock

  • gary
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
      Are there any online sources for bow building?
      gary
      On Wednesday, November 6, 2002, at 09:39 AM, cwilson@... wrote:

      > I have little experience with longbows, but I have been happy with my
      > woodbows.com longbow. The first thing I needed to adjust to was
      > wearing an
      > arm brace. With a recurve, I have never slapped my arm, inherit in
      > the way
      > I hold the bow I just never scrape my own skin off. BUT, the longbow
      > seems
      > to follow threw and hit my wrist bones. So, I got an arm guard.
      >
      > I would love to have a horn-nocked bow from Baron Bows, but that $95
      > worth
      > of saved pennies will have to wait.
      >
      > -Caedmon

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      gary
    • Carolus Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
        I will second the comment about "peeking". Another common cause is not
        rotating the elbow to point outward instead of down when setting up to
        draw. Rotating the elbow removes the muscle of the forearm from the path
        of the string and reduces the chance of being hit to nearly nil. I
        typically do not use a bracer at all and only get string burn if I really
        screw up a shot (kind of a reminder to get it right). Holding one's
        position until the arrow hits the target is known as follow through and
        is taught to all modern target archers. On the mundane line it is common
        to hold the position even when shooting 50, 60, 70 meters or more. I
        have found that once I get tin the habit of following through, my speed
        rounds improve as I no longer wait for the shot to hit and my form is
        constant (just faster).

        In service to the dream
        Carolus von Eulenhorst
        eulenhorst@...

        On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 17:58:22 -0000 "hanhebin" <hamberg@...> writes:
        <<snip>>
        > Most archers that I have seen hit themselves with their bowstrings
        > do
        > so because they are trying to watch their arrows fly down range. A
        >
        > 6" brace height should have nothing to do with whether or not you
        > hit
        > your arm with your bowstring.
        >
        > You can avoid the string by either developing the patience to not
        > watch your arrow fly down range. I've seen too many archers try to
        >
        > sneak a peek and twist their bowstrings directly into their arm. To
        >
        > break the habbit I have found that shooting dark shafted arrows with
        >
        > all the same colored fletch and a color that you have a difficult
        > time seeing down range works well. The other item that works well
        > is
        > to develop the habbit of not moving your bow arm or head until AFTER
        >
        > your arrow strikes the target (unrealistic for speed rounds or
        > shooting longer than 40 yards). This works best if you can have
        > another archer watch you shoot and remind you when you are moving
        > your head or bowarm.
        >
        > Another way to prevent your string from hitting your arm is by
        > opening your stance. Unless you are String Walking or shooting an
        > Olympic recurve there is real need to shoot with a closed stance.
        > If
        > you open your stance this will change the angle of the string and
        > elminate most of the chances of the string striking your arm or
        > clothing.
        >
        > Michael

        Only $9.95 per month!
        Visit www.juno.com
      • hanhebin
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
          > I have found that once I get tin the habit of following through, my
          > speed rounds improve as I no longer wait for the shot to hit and my
          > form is constant (just faster).

          While it helps speed rounds it sure makes things difficult to go back
          to shooting 3 arrows in 2 minutes. I have to intentionally avoid
          speed rounds before mundane competition because firing too rapidly
          takes at least 10 to 20 points off my score.

          Michael
        • Carolus Eulenhorst
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
            In this I concur, shooting too fast can be deleterious to accuracy. I
            make a conscious effort in untimed competitions (regardless of venue) to
            slow down and take my time. Were it not for the short distances of SCA
            competitions I would have a difficult time with the speed ends.

            In service to the dream
            Carolus von Eulenhorst
            eulenhorst@...

            On Thu, 07 Nov 2002 03:02:29 -0000 "hanhebin" <hamberg@...> writes:
            > > I have found that once I get tin the habit of following through,
            > my
            > > speed rounds improve as I no longer wait for the shot to hit and
            > my
            > > form is constant (just faster).
            >
            > While it helps speed rounds it sure makes things difficult to go
            > back
            > to shooting 3 arrows in 2 minutes. I have to intentionally avoid
            > speed rounds before mundane competition because firing too rapidly
            > takes at least 10 to 20 points off my score.
            >
            > Michael

            Only $9.95 per month!
            Visit www.juno.com
          • hanhebin
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 7, 2002
              > In this I concur, shooting too fast can be deleterious to accuracy.
              > I make a conscious effort in untimed competitions (regardless of
              > venue) to slow down and take my time. Were it not for the short
              > distances of SCA competitions I would have a difficult time with
              > the speed ends.

              NOT BEING CRITICAL OF THOSE THAT SHOOT OUTSTANDING SPEED ROUNDS

              I've always wanted to see how archers that shoot good at the point
              blank distances we shoot in the SCA would do versus longer
              distances. Say maybe 100 yards on a 122 cm face. I've heard of many
              40+ 20 yard speed round scores but wonder how that would translate
              versus an archer that got just 3 or 4 good shots off considering a
              longer distance.

              In mundane shooting a shot that hits blue for me at 18 meters on a 40
              cm target will MISS at 90 meters on a 122 cm target. I've seen a
              minor string plucks shooting indoor FITAs still strike gold but
              completely miss while shooting the longer FITA distances outdoors.
              Just curious what anybody knows about the numbers of speed round
              scores versus static scores shooting at longer distances like a York
              Round.

              Michael
            • Harry Bilings
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 7, 2002
                Remind my in March or April and I will let you kmow how mine turned out. I
                plan to shoot at 40 , 60, and 80 yds with a 122 cm target. May move to 100
                yds just for fun.

                plachoya

                humble archer
                Ravens Fort Ansteorra

                >From: "hanhebin" <hamberg@...>
                >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Hand shock
                >Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 22:08:16 -0000
                >
                > > In this I concur, shooting too fast can be deleterious to accuracy.
                > > I make a conscious effort in untimed competitions (regardless of
                > > venue) to slow down and take my time. Were it not for the short
                > > distances of SCA competitions I would have a difficult time with
                > > the speed ends.
                >
                >NOT BEING CRITICAL OF THOSE THAT SHOOT OUTSTANDING SPEED ROUNDS
                >
                >I've always wanted to see how archers that shoot good at the point
                >blank distances we shoot in the SCA would do versus longer
                >distances. Say maybe 100 yards on a 122 cm face. I've heard of many
                >40+ 20 yard speed round scores but wonder how that would translate
                >versus an archer that got just 3 or 4 good shots off considering a
                >longer distance.
                >
                >In mundane shooting a shot that hits blue for me at 18 meters on a 40
                >cm target will MISS at 90 meters on a 122 cm target. I've seen a
                >minor string plucks shooting indoor FITAs still strike gold but
                >completely miss while shooting the longer FITA distances outdoors.
                >Just curious what anybody knows about the numbers of speed round
                >scores versus static scores shooting at longer distances like a York
                >Round.
                >
                >Michael

              • hanhebin
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 7, 2002
                  > Remind my in March or April and I will let you kmow how mine turned
                  > out. I plan to shoot at 40 , 60, and 80 yds with a 122 cm target.
                  > May move to 100 yds just for fun.

                  The further out the better because I have noticed that with a fully
                  loaded Olympic recurve that even the slightest error is greatly
                  magnified. I think a person shooting 3 or 4 good shots in 30 seconds
                  at 100 yards will consistantly out score somebody shooting 10 arrows
                  in that same period.

                  I have hard data to back that up with execpt being familar with
                  losing ACEs or X10s because I goof a 90 meter shot. With arrows
                  costing between $30 and $60 a piece, you tend to remember each miss
                  and what you did wrong. With knowing "MY MISTAKES" can't see a person
                  shooting good enough to consitantly hit more a couple of arrows
                  firing at a 10 arrow pace.

                  Michael
                • Eadric Anstapa
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 7, 2002
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 8, 2002
                      > The further out the better because I have noticed that with a fully
                      > loaded Olympic recurve that even the slightest error is greatly
                      > magnified.

                      I have always enjoyed that the great Howard Hill was noted as saying on
                      several occasions that he was not good enough to shoot a recurve. When
                      asked to explain the statement he would reply that recurves were simply too
                      unforgiving for his taste and in his experience they amplified the smallest
                      of mistakes. Therefore Howard Hill stayed with his longbows.

                      Regards,

                      Lord Eadric Anstapa
                      Kingdom Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
                      eadric@...

                      So did Ben Pierson except for trick shots.

                      Lord Artair Macmora

                    • hanhebin
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 8, 2002
                        >> The further out the better because I have noticed that with a fully
                        >> loaded Olympic recurve that even the slightest error is greatly
                        >> magnified.

                        > I have always enjoyed that the great Howard Hill was noted as
                        > saying on several occasions that he was not good enough to shoot a
                        > recurve. When asked to explain the statement he would reply that
                        > recurves were simply too unforgiving for his taste and in his
                        > experience they amplified the smallest of mistakes. Therefore
                        > Howard Hill stayed with his longbows.

                        Magnified for me is plucking my string and launching an arrow in the
                        8 ring on a 40cm target and in the SCA that would still be a gold and
                        considered a good shot. I don't think Howard Hill was speaking or
                        even considering the current technology when he made his statement.
                        I don't want to ramble on about the accuracy of the current
                        technology but there are reasons why good limbs cost over $600.

                        Michael
                      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 9, 2002
                          I have had some experience with this kind of shooting(100yard "Iron Man")
                          If I have time to range in and get the wind correction, I can get 2-3 on a
                          122cm face out of six. When going to speed mode the scores are less
                          consistent but I still get off 5-6 arrows in 30 sec. with 1-3 on target.
                          Without ranging in.... all bets are off.

                          James Cunningham