Re: [SCA-Archery] Looking for a good inexpensive long bow

  • Emil Stecher
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
      > >Having ordered from both of these makers recently,
      > >would say that if you order from baronbows, be
      > >prepared to wait a while.
      >
      > Probably depends upon what you want and what is
      > available at the time.

      What I ordered was his basic Briton with horn nocks,
      no great custom thing.

      > Turn-around was very fast for me and the owner kept
      > in touch by email
      > throughout.

      I wish that were my own experience. I have been
      waiting
      a little over two and a half months for a bow I was
      told would be delivered in about four weeks. This
      delay
      has apparently been due to health problems the maker
      has suffered, to which I am sympathetic, but I would
      have been happier if notified that there was an
      unavoidable delay in filling the order rather than
      being left to wait in silence.

      > I got a bow called the Briton with horn nocks added.
      > Shoots fine. I need
      > to file down the sharp edges on the nocks a bit
      > sometime (chafes the string
      > loop), but was $95 total with the horn nocks.

      Glad to hear you have a good opinion of the finished
      product. I am looking forward to receiving mine and
      will try to recall your advice about smoothing off the
      nocks.

      > As to woodbows.com, I've seen their product and shot
      > them a few times.
      > More "hand-shocky" than the Briton (the Briton has a
      > built up grip area),
      > but quite serviceable. If you wish more care and
      > finishing in a bow, you
      > are going to have to pay a bit more.

      Well, I will generally agree that I got what I paid
      for, but I would expect that someone who took pride in
      their craftsmanship would take a bit more trouble,
      even
      with an inexpensive bow, than was done with the bow I
      received.

      =====
      Barak Raz
      (Emil M Stecher)