Re: [SCA-Archery] Looking for a good inexpensive long bow

  • brennin2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2002
      In a message dated 11/2/02 4:36:26 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      rkhinman@... writes:

      > You guys must get this a lot, so I am sorry but do you know where I
      > can find a good reliable longbow without spending a hundred bucks?
      >
      > Thanks

      eBay. There is a guy selling wood long bow in a variety of poundages for
      about $75. I think all you would have to do is put a rest on and wrap the
      handle. Other then that there are several used bows available for a variety
      of prices, most, under $100. Brennin

    • Emil Stecher
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2002
        --- brennin2@... wrote:
        > Standard Time,

        > Other then that there are several used bows
        > available for a variety
        > of prices, most, under $100. Brennin

        I would be very wary of buying a used wooden bow over
        the internet for more than a few dollars. Actually,
        you can get stung in person if you don't know what to
        look for. I bought two wooden bows (one was a hickory
        longbow, I am not sure what wood the other was made
        of)
        for a fairly steep price. When I took them to an
        experienced bowyer to have strings made, he told me
        they were both too old and dry to be used, and
        suggested that the best thing to do with them was put
        them on the wall where they could look pretty.

        I recollect one time when I was having a wooden bow
        inspected at Pennsic and it broke. The inspecting
        marshal said philosophically, "There's only so many
        shots in a wood bow, after that it's a tomato stake".
        So my advice would be to beware of paying bowstave
        prices for tomato stakes.

        =====
        Barak Raz
        (Emil M Stecher)
        (gwrgi@...)

        HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
        http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
      • Emil Stecher
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2002
          --- jotl@... wrote:
          > At 1:58 AM 11/2/02 +0000, johannes_va wrote:
          > >You guys must get this a lot, so I am sorry but do
          > you know where I
          > >can find a good reliable longbow without spending a
          > hundred bucks?
          >
          > www.baronbows.com
          > www.woodbows.com

          Having ordered from both of these makers recently, I
          would say that if you order from baronbows, be
          prepared to wait a while.

          As for woodbows, the product is not elegant, showing
          toolmarks and having apparently been sealed with a
          quick coat of polyurethane. According to both of the
          marshals who have examined it thus far, the tiller of
          the bow is uneven and presents the possibility of an
          eventual catastrophic fail. On the other hand, the
          turnaround time was about a week and it doesn't seem
          to shoot badly, although in saying this, I must admit
          that
          I am only an occassional shooter and may be missing a
          lot of subtle nuances obvious to a more experienced
          bowman.

          =====
          Barak Raz
          (Emil M Stecher)
          (gwrgi@...)

          HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
          http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
        • Chad Wilson
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
            --- Emil Stecher <gwrgi@...> wrote:
            [...]
            > As for woodbows, the product is not elegant, showing
            > toolmarks and having apparently been sealed with a
            > quick coat of polyurethane. According to both of the
            > marshals who have examined it thus far, the tiller of
            > the bow is uneven and presents the possibility of an
            > eventual catastrophic fail. On the other hand, the
            > turnaround time was about a week and it doesn't seem
            > to shoot badly, although in saying this, I must admit
            > that

            With any handmade product, such things may occur. The bow I ordered from
            woodbows.com came completely straight. It was the bow that I began my 1,000
            arrow shoot with, until the linen string broke on arrows #251. (I finished the
            remaining 750 with my recurve), but the bow handled the stress well.

            -Caedmon

          • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
              At 10:36 PM 11/3/02 -0800, Emil Stecher wrote:
              >--- jotl@... wrote:
              >> At 1:58 AM 11/2/02 +0000, johannes_va wrote:
              >> >You guys must get this a lot, so I am sorry but do
              >> you know where I
              >> >can find a good reliable longbow without spending a
              >> hundred bucks?
              >>
              >> www.baronbows.com
              >> www.woodbows.com
              >>
              >Having ordered from both of these makers recently, I
              >would say that if you order from baronbows, be
              >prepared to wait a while.

              Probably depends upon what you want and what is available at the time.
              Turn-around was very fast for me and the owner kept in touch by email
              throughout.

              I got a bow called the Briton with horn nocks added. Shoots fine. I need
              to file down the sharp edges on the nocks a bit sometime (chafes the string
              loop), but was $95 total with the horn nocks.

              As to woodbows.com, I've seen their product and shot them a few times.
              More "hand-shocky" than the Briton (the Briton has a built up grip area),
              but quite serviceable. If you wish more care and finishing in a bow, you
              are going to have to pay a bit more. My Steve Ralphs ELB is quite nice,
              but ran $270 (imported via Saxon Fox Archery).

              James

              jotl@...
            • Emil Stecher
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
                > >Having ordered from both of these makers recently,
                > >would say that if you order from baronbows, be
                > >prepared to wait a while.
                >
                > Probably depends upon what you want and what is
                > available at the time.

                What I ordered was his basic Briton with horn nocks,
                no great custom thing.

                > Turn-around was very fast for me and the owner kept
                > in touch by email
                > throughout.

                I wish that were my own experience. I have been
                waiting
                a little over two and a half months for a bow I was
                told would be delivered in about four weeks. This
                delay
                has apparently been due to health problems the maker
                has suffered, to which I am sympathetic, but I would
                have been happier if notified that there was an
                unavoidable delay in filling the order rather than
                being left to wait in silence.

                > I got a bow called the Briton with horn nocks added.
                > Shoots fine. I need
                > to file down the sharp edges on the nocks a bit
                > sometime (chafes the string
                > loop), but was $95 total with the horn nocks.

                Glad to hear you have a good opinion of the finished
                product. I am looking forward to receiving mine and
                will try to recall your advice about smoothing off the
                nocks.

                > As to woodbows.com, I've seen their product and shot
                > them a few times.
                > More "hand-shocky" than the Briton (the Briton has a
                > built up grip area),
                > but quite serviceable. If you wish more care and
                > finishing in a bow, you
                > are going to have to pay a bit more.

                Well, I will generally agree that I got what I paid
                for, but I would expect that someone who took pride in
                their craftsmanship would take a bit more trouble,
                even
                with an inexpensive bow, than was done with the bow I
                received.

                =====