Re: [SCA-Archery] Looking for a good inexpensive long bow

  • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2002
      At 1:58 AM 11/2/02 +0000, johannes_va wrote:
      >You guys must get this a lot, so I am sorry but do you know where I
      >can find a good reliable longbow without spending a hundred bucks?

      www.baronbows.com

      www.woodbows.com

      James
      jotl@...
    • blockflute1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2002
        Try woodbows.com. I have heard good things about these and the price is <
        $100

      • brennin2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2002
          In a message dated 11/2/02 4:36:26 AM Pacific Standard Time,
          rkhinman@... writes:

          > You guys must get this a lot, so I am sorry but do you know where I
          > can find a good reliable longbow without spending a hundred bucks?
          >
          > Thanks

          eBay. There is a guy selling wood long bow in a variety of poundages for
          about $75. I think all you would have to do is put a rest on and wrap the
          handle. Other then that there are several used bows available for a variety
          of prices, most, under $100. Brennin

        • Emil Stecher
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 3, 2002
            --- brennin2@... wrote:
            > Standard Time,

            > Other then that there are several used bows
            > available for a variety
            > of prices, most, under $100. Brennin

            I would be very wary of buying a used wooden bow over
            the internet for more than a few dollars. Actually,
            you can get stung in person if you don't know what to
            look for. I bought two wooden bows (one was a hickory
            longbow, I am not sure what wood the other was made
            of)
            for a fairly steep price. When I took them to an
            experienced bowyer to have strings made, he told me
            they were both too old and dry to be used, and
            suggested that the best thing to do with them was put
            them on the wall where they could look pretty.

            I recollect one time when I was having a wooden bow
            inspected at Pennsic and it broke. The inspecting
            marshal said philosophically, "There's only so many
            shots in a wood bow, after that it's a tomato stake".
            So my advice would be to beware of paying bowstave
            prices for tomato stakes.

            =====
            Barak Raz
            (Emil M Stecher)
            (gwrgi@...)

            HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
            http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
          • Emil Stecher
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2002
              --- jotl@... wrote:
              > At 1:58 AM 11/2/02 +0000, johannes_va wrote:
              > >You guys must get this a lot, so I am sorry but do
              > you know where I
              > >can find a good reliable longbow without spending a
              > hundred bucks?
              >
              > www.baronbows.com
              > www.woodbows.com

              Having ordered from both of these makers recently, I
              would say that if you order from baronbows, be
              prepared to wait a while.

              As for woodbows, the product is not elegant, showing
              toolmarks and having apparently been sealed with a
              quick coat of polyurethane. According to both of the
              marshals who have examined it thus far, the tiller of
              the bow is uneven and presents the possibility of an
              eventual catastrophic fail. On the other hand, the
              turnaround time was about a week and it doesn't seem
              to shoot badly, although in saying this, I must admit
              that
              I am only an occassional shooter and may be missing a
              lot of subtle nuances obvious to a more experienced
              bowman.

              =====
              Barak Raz
              (Emil M Stecher)
              (gwrgi@...)

              HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
              http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
            • Chad Wilson
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
                --- Emil Stecher <gwrgi@...> wrote:
                [...]
                > As for woodbows, the product is not elegant, showing
                > toolmarks and having apparently been sealed with a
                > quick coat of polyurethane. According to both of the
                > marshals who have examined it thus far, the tiller of
                > the bow is uneven and presents the possibility of an
                > eventual catastrophic fail. On the other hand, the
                > turnaround time was about a week and it doesn't seem
                > to shoot badly, although in saying this, I must admit
                > that

                With any handmade product, such things may occur. The bow I ordered from
                woodbows.com came completely straight. It was the bow that I began my 1,000
                arrow shoot with, until the linen string broke on arrows #251. (I finished the
                remaining 750 with my recurve), but the bow handled the stress well.

                -Caedmon

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
                  At 10:36 PM 11/3/02 -0800, Emil Stecher wrote:
                  >--- jotl@... wrote:
                  >> At 1:58 AM 11/2/02 +0000, johannes_va wrote:
                  >> >You guys must get this a lot, so I am sorry but do
                  >> you know where I
                  >> >can find a good reliable longbow without spending a
                  >> hundred bucks?
                  >>
                  >> www.baronbows.com
                  >> www.woodbows.com
                  >>
                  >Having ordered from both of these makers recently, I
                  >would say that if you order from baronbows, be
                  >prepared to wait a while.

                  Probably depends upon what you want and what is available at the time.
                  Turn-around was very fast for me and the owner kept in touch by email
                  throughout.

                  I got a bow called the Briton with horn nocks added. Shoots fine. I need
                  to file down the sharp edges on the nocks a bit sometime (chafes the string
                  loop), but was $95 total with the horn nocks.

                  As to woodbows.com, I've seen their product and shot them a few times.
                  More "hand-shocky" than the Briton (the Briton has a built up grip area),
                  but quite serviceable. If you wish more care and finishing in a bow, you
                  are going to have to pay a bit more. My Steve Ralphs ELB is quite nice,
                  but ran $270 (imported via Saxon Fox Archery).

                  James

                  jotl@...
                • Emil Stecher
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
                    > >Having ordered from both of these makers recently,
                    > >would say that if you order from baronbows, be
                    > >prepared to wait a while.
                    >
                    > Probably depends upon what you want and what is
                    > available at the time.

                    What I ordered was his basic Briton with horn nocks,
                    no great custom thing.

                    > Turn-around was very fast for me and the owner kept
                    > in touch by email
                    > throughout.

                    I wish that were my own experience. I have been
                    waiting
                    a little over two and a half months for a bow I was
                    told would be delivered in about four weeks. This
                    delay
                    has apparently been due to health problems the maker
                    has suffered, to which I am sympathetic, but I would
                    have been happier if notified that there was an
                    unavoidable delay in filling the order rather than
                    being left to wait in silence.

                    > I got a bow called the Briton with horn nocks added.
                    > Shoots fine. I need
                    > to file down the sharp edges on the nocks a bit
                    > sometime (chafes the string
                    > loop), but was $95 total with the horn nocks.

                    Glad to hear you have a good opinion of the finished
                    product. I am looking forward to receiving mine and
                    will try to recall your advice about smoothing off the
                    nocks.

                    > As to woodbows.com, I've seen their product and shot
                    > them a few times.
                    > More "hand-shocky" than the Briton (the Briton has a
                    > built up grip area),
                    > but quite serviceable. If you wish more care and
                    > finishing in a bow, you
                    > are going to have to pay a bit more.

                    Well, I will generally agree that I got what I paid
                    for, but I would expect that someone who took pride in
                    their craftsmanship would take a bit more trouble,
                    even
                    with an inexpensive bow, than was done with the bow I
                    received.

                    =====