Looking for a good inexpensive long bow

  • johannes_va
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
      You guys must get this a lot, so I am sorry but do you know where I
      can find a good reliable longbow without spending a hundred bucks?

      Thanks
    • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2002
        At 1:58 AM 11/2/02 +0000, johannes_va wrote:
        >You guys must get this a lot, so I am sorry but do you know where I
        >can find a good reliable longbow without spending a hundred bucks?

        www.baronbows.com

        www.woodbows.com

        James
        jotl@...
      • blockflute1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2002
          Try woodbows.com. I have heard good things about these and the price is <
          $100

        • brennin2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2002
            In a message dated 11/2/02 4:36:26 AM Pacific Standard Time,
            rkhinman@... writes:

            > You guys must get this a lot, so I am sorry but do you know where I
            > can find a good reliable longbow without spending a hundred bucks?
            >
            > Thanks

            eBay. There is a guy selling wood long bow in a variety of poundages for
            about $75. I think all you would have to do is put a rest on and wrap the
            handle. Other then that there are several used bows available for a variety
            of prices, most, under $100. Brennin

          • Emil Stecher
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2002
              --- brennin2@... wrote:
              > Standard Time,

              > Other then that there are several used bows
              > available for a variety
              > of prices, most, under $100. Brennin

              I would be very wary of buying a used wooden bow over
              the internet for more than a few dollars. Actually,
              you can get stung in person if you don't know what to
              look for. I bought two wooden bows (one was a hickory
              longbow, I am not sure what wood the other was made
              of)
              for a fairly steep price. When I took them to an
              experienced bowyer to have strings made, he told me
              they were both too old and dry to be used, and
              suggested that the best thing to do with them was put
              them on the wall where they could look pretty.

              I recollect one time when I was having a wooden bow
              inspected at Pennsic and it broke. The inspecting
              marshal said philosophically, "There's only so many
              shots in a wood bow, after that it's a tomato stake".
              So my advice would be to beware of paying bowstave
              prices for tomato stakes.

              =====
              Barak Raz
              (Emil M Stecher)
              (gwrgi@...)

              HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
              http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
            • Emil Stecher
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 3, 2002
                --- jotl@... wrote:
                > At 1:58 AM 11/2/02 +0000, johannes_va wrote:
                > >You guys must get this a lot, so I am sorry but do
                > you know where I
                > >can find a good reliable longbow without spending a
                > hundred bucks?
                >
                > www.baronbows.com
                > www.woodbows.com

                Having ordered from both of these makers recently, I
                would say that if you order from baronbows, be
                prepared to wait a while.

                As for woodbows, the product is not elegant, showing
                toolmarks and having apparently been sealed with a
                quick coat of polyurethane. According to both of the
                marshals who have examined it thus far, the tiller of
                the bow is uneven and presents the possibility of an
                eventual catastrophic fail. On the other hand, the
                turnaround time was about a week and it doesn't seem
                to shoot badly, although in saying this, I must admit
                that
                I am only an occassional shooter and may be missing a
                lot of subtle nuances obvious to a more experienced
                bowman.

                =====
                Barak Raz
                (Emil M Stecher)
                (gwrgi@...)

                HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
                http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
              • Chad Wilson
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
                  --- Emil Stecher <gwrgi@...> wrote:
                  [...]
                  > As for woodbows, the product is not elegant, showing
                  > toolmarks and having apparently been sealed with a
                  > quick coat of polyurethane. According to both of the
                  > marshals who have examined it thus far, the tiller of
                  > the bow is uneven and presents the possibility of an
                  > eventual catastrophic fail. On the other hand, the
                  > turnaround time was about a week and it doesn't seem
                  > to shoot badly, although in saying this, I must admit
                  > that

                  With any handmade product, such things may occur. The bow I ordered from
                  woodbows.com came completely straight. It was the bow that I began my 1,000
                  arrow shoot with, until the linen string broke on arrows #251. (I finished the
                  remaining 750 with my recurve), but the bow handled the stress well.

                  -Caedmon

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
                    At 10:36 PM 11/3/02 -0800, Emil Stecher wrote:
                    >--- jotl@... wrote:
                    >> At 1:58 AM 11/2/02 +0000, johannes_va wrote:
                    >> >You guys must get this a lot, so I am sorry but do
                    >> you know where I
                    >> >can find a good reliable longbow without spending a
                    >> hundred bucks?
                    >>
                    >> www.baronbows.com
                    >> www.woodbows.com
                    >>
                    >Having ordered from both of these makers recently, I
                    >would say that if you order from baronbows, be
                    >prepared to wait a while.

                    Probably depends upon what you want and what is available at the time.
                    Turn-around was very fast for me and the owner kept in touch by email
                    throughout.

                    I got a bow called the Briton with horn nocks added. Shoots fine. I need
                    to file down the sharp edges on the nocks a bit sometime (chafes the string
                    loop), but was $95 total with the horn nocks.

                    As to woodbows.com, I've seen their product and shot them a few times.
                    More "hand-shocky" than the Briton (the Briton has a built up grip area),
                    but quite serviceable. If you wish more care and finishing in a bow, you
                    are going to have to pay a bit more. My Steve Ralphs ELB is quite nice,
                    but ran $270 (imported via Saxon Fox Archery).

                    James

                    jotl@...
                  • Emil Stecher
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 4, 2002
                      > >Having ordered from both of these makers recently,
                      > >would say that if you order from baronbows, be
                      > >prepared to wait a while.
                      >
                      > Probably depends upon what you want and what is
                      > available at the time.

                      What I ordered was his basic Briton with horn nocks,
                      no great custom thing.

                      > Turn-around was very fast for me and the owner kept
                      > in touch by email
                      > throughout.

                      I wish that were my own experience. I have been
                      waiting
                      a little over two and a half months for a bow I was
                      told would be delivered in about four weeks. This
                      delay
                      has apparently been due to health problems the maker
                      has suffered, to which I am sympathetic, but I would
                      have been happier if notified that there was an
                      unavoidable delay in filling the order rather than
                      being left to wait in silence.

                      > I got a bow called the Briton with horn nocks added.
                      > Shoots fine. I need
                      > to file down the sharp edges on the nocks a bit
                      > sometime (chafes the string
                      > loop), but was $95 total with the horn nocks.

                      Glad to hear you have a good opinion of the finished
                      product. I am looking forward to receiving mine and
                      will try to recall your advice about smoothing off the
                      nocks.

                      > As to woodbows.com, I've seen their product and shot
                      > them a few times.
                      > More "hand-shocky" than the Briton (the Briton has a
                      > built up grip area),
                      > but quite serviceable. If you wish more care and
                      > finishing in a bow, you
                      > are going to have to pay a bit more.

                      Well, I will generally agree that I got what I paid
                      for, but I would expect that someone who took pride in
                      their craftsmanship would take a bit more trouble,
                      even
                      with an inexpensive bow, than was done with the bow I
                      received.

                      =====