Re: [SCA-Archery] Yumi and such

  • Marko Peussa
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2002
      There isn't too much material around. The following is an excerpt from the
      book: Kyudo, The Way of The Bow, Feliks Hoff, ISBN 1-57062-852-1

      "...Having come to within a few meters of the target, he then took his bow
      under his arm and used it as a thrusting weapon, accompanying his thrust
      with a long kiai. It was not at all unusual to use the bow as a thrusting
      weapon. Often war bows had a lance set into the tip, or else, if his string
      had broken, the archer bound his short sword onto the upper end of his bow
      and then used it as a naginata..."

      So, in principle you have two ways. The first: thrust only, the second, like
      naginata. As for the thrust, one-handed thrust is made for example in the
      Heki ceremony shooting. You grip the bow handle with the left hand, string
      facing to the left, take three steps forward and while turning sideways
      extend your left arm to thrust at the target. At the end of the thrust the
      foot of the bow touches your back. For the two handed thrust, the closest
      thing I've seen is in the Satsuma Heki Ryu Video. Grip the bow handle with
      the left hand and the foot of the bow with the right hand.

      As for the naginata, you have plenty of material around.

      Battle shooting is still taught in Heki Ryu Insai Ha at advanced level.
      Another Ryu that does battle shooting is Satsuma Heki Ryu. According to Mori
      sensei of Insai Ha, it is possible to go Japan and take training with
      Satsuma Heki guys. When I asked how long it would take, he said that only a
      few weeks are necessary. So you have the option of going to Satsuma Heki Ryu
      for training, or to Heki Ryu Insai Ha. In the latter case it will take
      several years before you have the chance to try to learn battle shooting. I
      have taken this path.

      In the book Kyudo, Shooting the Japanese Bow, Japanese and English Technical
      Terms, by Hans Gundermann, there is a picture of the sharp lance head for
      the bow. It is called UCHINE, and is almost like a very short arrow, like a
      dart with feathers and spearhead. It could be used as a tip for the bow or
      as a projectile(!).

      Klaus

      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 21, 2005
        Thankyou for the information concerning the arrow rest on
        bows.........tis much appreciated.
        Alis