Yumi and such

  • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2002
      Greetings to all of the list from Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie,
      I have heard that there was a fighting discipline where spear-tips
      were fitted over the heads of yumi to facilitate close combat for
      those who used bows. Do any of you have pictorial refs for such...Are
      their descriptions, or refs telling of how and when these might have
      been used in period, or is it a post period thing? It sounds Sengoku
      Jidai, but I don't know?
      I found a web site depicting such, but I cannot account for the
      validity of the research, as it looks cheezy, and the photos are
      definitely post period.
      Anyone with more understanding would be welcome to enlighten us...
      Ever curious about yumi, and their uses...
      Date Yukiie

      Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
      Shi-wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
      http://www.kabutographics.com
      Kabuto@c...
    • Marko Peussa
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2002
        There isn't too much material around. The following is an excerpt from the
        book: Kyudo, The Way of The Bow, Feliks Hoff, ISBN 1-57062-852-1

        "...Having come to within a few meters of the target, he then took his bow
        under his arm and used it as a thrusting weapon, accompanying his thrust
        with a long kiai. It was not at all unusual to use the bow as a thrusting
        weapon. Often war bows had a lance set into the tip, or else, if his string
        had broken, the archer bound his short sword onto the upper end of his bow
        and then used it as a naginata..."

        So, in principle you have two ways. The first: thrust only, the second, like
        naginata. As for the thrust, one-handed thrust is made for example in the
        Heki ceremony shooting. You grip the bow handle with the left hand, string
        facing to the left, take three steps forward and while turning sideways
        extend your left arm to thrust at the target. At the end of the thrust the
        foot of the bow touches your back. For the two handed thrust, the closest
        thing I've seen is in the Satsuma Heki Ryu Video. Grip the bow handle with
        the left hand and the foot of the bow with the right hand.

        As for the naginata, you have plenty of material around.

        Battle shooting is still taught in Heki Ryu Insai Ha at advanced level.
        Another Ryu that does battle shooting is Satsuma Heki Ryu. According to Mori
        sensei of Insai Ha, it is possible to go Japan and take training with
        Satsuma Heki guys. When I asked how long it would take, he said that only a
        few weeks are necessary. So you have the option of going to Satsuma Heki Ryu
        for training, or to Heki Ryu Insai Ha. In the latter case it will take
        several years before you have the chance to try to learn battle shooting. I
        have taken this path.

        In the book Kyudo, Shooting the Japanese Bow, Japanese and English Technical
        Terms, by Hans Gundermann, there is a picture of the sharp lance head for
        the bow. It is called UCHINE, and is almost like a very short arrow, like a
        dart with feathers and spearhead. It could be used as a tip for the bow or
        as a projectile(!).

        Klaus

        > Greetings to all of the list from Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie,
        > I have heard that there was a fighting discipline where spear-tips
        > were fitted over the heads of yumi to facilitate close combat for
        > those who used bows. Do any of you have pictorial refs for such...Are
        > their descriptions, or refs telling of how and when these might have
        > been used in period, or is it a post period thing? It sounds Sengoku
        > Jidai, but I don't know?
        > I found a web site depicting such, but I cannot account for the
        > validity of the research, as it looks cheezy, and the photos are
        > definitely post period.
        > Anyone with more understanding would be welcome to enlighten us...
        > Ever curious about yumi, and their uses...
        > Date Yukiie
        >

        > Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
        > Shi-wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
        > http://www.kabutographics.com
        > Kabuto@c...

      • akiba79
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 21, 2005
          Thankyou for the information concerning the arrow rest on
          bows.........tis much appreciated.
          Alis