How To Disable A Flipper Rest

  • hanhebin
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2002
      >> Many rests sold as spring rests are also allowed as they are
      >> actually simple wire rests and thus allowed.

      > Speaking for the Midrealm in general and the Winter Challenge
      > (everyone DID see the reminder yesterday about it starting again
      > tomorrow, right? ) in particular, the manual specifically allows
      > for wire rests if they are not adjustable (1.2.1.C.4). You do see
      > them sometimes when inspecting - whenever I see wire instead of
      > rubber or plastic, the first thing I do is check to see if it is a
      > spring mount or simply a bit of wire sticking immovably out. As a
      > previous writer mentioned a day or so ago, the difference is a bit
      > subtle, and can be considered something of a value judgement on the
      > part of the inspecting marshal. But for what it's worth, James, the
      > manual does distinguish between the two types.

      You can disable a magnetic flipper rest by simply adjusting the wire
      arm away from the arrow shaft. The adjustment on my flipper rest
      takes about 5 seconds to do and there are ABSOLUTELY no ill effects.

      Michael
    • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2002
        Greetings to all of the list from Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie,
        I have heard that there was a fighting discipline where spear-tips
        were fitted over the heads of yumi to facilitate close combat for
        those who used bows. Do any of you have pictorial refs for such...Are
        their descriptions, or refs telling of how and when these might have
        been used in period, or is it a post period thing? It sounds Sengoku
        Jidai, but I don't know?
        I found a web site depicting such, but I cannot account for the
        validity of the research, as it looks cheezy, and the photos are
        definitely post period.
        Anyone with more understanding would be welcome to enlighten us...
        Ever curious about yumi, and their uses...
        Date Yukiie

        Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
        Shi-wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
        http://www.kabutographics.com
        Kabuto@c...
      • Marko Peussa
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 1, 2002
          There isn't too much material around. The following is an excerpt from the
          book: Kyudo, The Way of The Bow, Feliks Hoff, ISBN 1-57062-852-1

          "...Having come to within a few meters of the target, he then took his bow
          under his arm and used it as a thrusting weapon, accompanying his thrust
          with a long kiai. It was not at all unusual to use the bow as a thrusting
          weapon. Often war bows had a lance set into the tip, or else, if his string
          had broken, the archer bound his short sword onto the upper end of his bow
          and then used it as a naginata..."

          So, in principle you have two ways. The first: thrust only, the second, like
          naginata. As for the thrust, one-handed thrust is made for example in the
          Heki ceremony shooting. You grip the bow handle with the left hand, string
          facing to the left, take three steps forward and while turning sideways
          extend your left arm to thrust at the target. At the end of the thrust the
          foot of the bow touches your back. For the two handed thrust, the closest
          thing I've seen is in the Satsuma Heki Ryu Video. Grip the bow handle with
          the left hand and the foot of the bow with the right hand.

          As for the naginata, you have plenty of material around.

          Battle shooting is still taught in Heki Ryu Insai Ha at advanced level.
          Another Ryu that does battle shooting is Satsuma Heki Ryu. According to Mori
          sensei of Insai Ha, it is possible to go Japan and take training with
          Satsuma Heki guys. When I asked how long it would take, he said that only a
          few weeks are necessary. So you have the option of going to Satsuma Heki Ryu
          for training, or to Heki Ryu Insai Ha. In the latter case it will take
          several years before you have the chance to try to learn battle shooting. I
          have taken this path.

          In the book Kyudo, Shooting the Japanese Bow, Japanese and English Technical
          Terms, by Hans Gundermann, there is a picture of the sharp lance head for
          the bow. It is called UCHINE, and is almost like a very short arrow, like a
          dart with feathers and spearhead. It could be used as a tip for the bow or
          as a projectile(!).

          Klaus

          > Greetings to all of the list from Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie,
          > I have heard that there was a fighting discipline where spear-tips
          > were fitted over the heads of yumi to facilitate close combat for
          > those who used bows. Do any of you have pictorial refs for such...Are
          > their descriptions, or refs telling of how and when these might have
          > been used in period, or is it a post period thing? It sounds Sengoku
          > Jidai, but I don't know?
          > I found a web site depicting such, but I cannot account for the
          > validity of the research, as it looks cheezy, and the photos are
          > definitely post period.
          > Anyone with more understanding would be welcome to enlighten us...
          > Ever curious about yumi, and their uses...
          > Date Yukiie
          >

          > Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
          > Shi-wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
          > http://www.kabutographics.com
          > Kabuto@c...

        • akiba79
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 21, 2005
            Thankyou for the information concerning the arrow rest on
            bows.........tis much appreciated.
            Alis