Re: [SCA-Archery] Arrow rest

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 31, 2002
      Thanks! Back to the books!

      James Cunningham

      in particular, the manual specifically allows for
      > wire rests if they are not adjustable (1.2.1.C.4). You do see them
      > sometimes when inspecting - whenever I see wire instead of rubber or
      > plastic, the first thing I do is check to see if it is a spring mount
      > or simply a bit of wire sticking immovably out. As a previous writer
      > mentioned a day or so ago, the difference is a bit subtle, and can be
      > considered something of a value judgement on the part of the inspecting
      > marshal. But for what it's worth, James, the manual does distinguish
      > between the two types.
    • hanhebin
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2002
        >> Many rests sold as spring rests are also allowed as they are
        >> actually simple wire rests and thus allowed.

        > Speaking for the Midrealm in general and the Winter Challenge
        > (everyone DID see the reminder yesterday about it starting again
        > tomorrow, right? ) in particular, the manual specifically allows
        > for wire rests if they are not adjustable (1.2.1.C.4). You do see
        > them sometimes when inspecting - whenever I see wire instead of
        > rubber or plastic, the first thing I do is check to see if it is a
        > spring mount or simply a bit of wire sticking immovably out. As a
        > previous writer mentioned a day or so ago, the difference is a bit
        > subtle, and can be considered something of a value judgement on the
        > part of the inspecting marshal. But for what it's worth, James, the
        > manual does distinguish between the two types.

        You can disable a magnetic flipper rest by simply adjusting the wire
        arm away from the arrow shaft. The adjustment on my flipper rest
        takes about 5 seconds to do and there are ABSOLUTELY no ill effects.

        Michael
      • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 1, 2002
          Greetings to all of the list from Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie,
          I have heard that there was a fighting discipline where spear-tips
          were fitted over the heads of yumi to facilitate close combat for
          those who used bows. Do any of you have pictorial refs for such...Are
          their descriptions, or refs telling of how and when these might have
          been used in period, or is it a post period thing? It sounds Sengoku
          Jidai, but I don't know?
          I found a web site depicting such, but I cannot account for the
          validity of the research, as it looks cheezy, and the photos are
          definitely post period.
          Anyone with more understanding would be welcome to enlighten us...
          Ever curious about yumi, and their uses...
          Date Yukiie

          Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
          Shi-wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
          http://www.kabutographics.com
          Kabuto@c...
        • Marko Peussa
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 1, 2002
            There isn't too much material around. The following is an excerpt from the
            book: Kyudo, The Way of The Bow, Feliks Hoff, ISBN 1-57062-852-1

            "...Having come to within a few meters of the target, he then took his bow
            under his arm and used it as a thrusting weapon, accompanying his thrust
            with a long kiai. It was not at all unusual to use the bow as a thrusting
            weapon. Often war bows had a lance set into the tip, or else, if his string
            had broken, the archer bound his short sword onto the upper end of his bow
            and then used it as a naginata..."

            So, in principle you have two ways. The first: thrust only, the second, like
            naginata. As for the thrust, one-handed thrust is made for example in the
            Heki ceremony shooting. You grip the bow handle with the left hand, string
            facing to the left, take three steps forward and while turning sideways
            extend your left arm to thrust at the target. At the end of the thrust the
            foot of the bow touches your back. For the two handed thrust, the closest
            thing I've seen is in the Satsuma Heki Ryu Video. Grip the bow handle with
            the left hand and the foot of the bow with the right hand.

            As for the naginata, you have plenty of material around.

            Battle shooting is still taught in Heki Ryu Insai Ha at advanced level.
            Another Ryu that does battle shooting is Satsuma Heki Ryu. According to Mori
            sensei of Insai Ha, it is possible to go Japan and take training with
            Satsuma Heki guys. When I asked how long it would take, he said that only a
            few weeks are necessary. So you have the option of going to Satsuma Heki Ryu
            for training, or to Heki Ryu Insai Ha. In the latter case it will take
            several years before you have the chance to try to learn battle shooting. I
            have taken this path.

            In the book Kyudo, Shooting the Japanese Bow, Japanese and English Technical
            Terms, by Hans Gundermann, there is a picture of the sharp lance head for
            the bow. It is called UCHINE, and is almost like a very short arrow, like a
            dart with feathers and spearhead. It could be used as a tip for the bow or
            as a projectile(!).

            Klaus

            > Greetings to all of the list from Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie,
            > I have heard that there was a fighting discipline where spear-tips
            > were fitted over the heads of yumi to facilitate close combat for
            > those who used bows. Do any of you have pictorial refs for such...Are
            > their descriptions, or refs telling of how and when these might have
            > been used in period, or is it a post period thing? It sounds Sengoku
            > Jidai, but I don't know?
            > I found a web site depicting such, but I cannot account for the
            > validity of the research, as it looks cheezy, and the photos are
            > definitely post period.
            > Anyone with more understanding would be welcome to enlighten us...
            > Ever curious about yumi, and their uses...
            > Date Yukiie
            >

            > Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
            > Shi-wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave
            > http://www.kabutographics.com
            > Kabuto@c...

          • akiba79
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 21, 2005
              Thankyou for the information concerning the arrow rest on
              bows.........tis much appreciated.
              Alis