Re: was quivers: now slings

  • Godwin@rmci.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2002
      > Message: 5
      > Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:11:38 -0500
      > From: cwilson@...
      > Subject: Re: quivers
      >

      > Having just finished my rabbit hide quiver, I was thinking about
      > entering it into the next A&S competition that it seemed appropriate
      > for. Thus, I am trying to put together a little research for it.
      > Obviously, many has known about quivers for thousands of years, the hard
      > part is finding where someone wrote down this assumption in period.
      >
      > Slings were used in period, but heck if I can find more than a handful
      > of references to them, which currently amounts to 4 pictures and
      > statement by Vegetius.
      >
      > -Caedmon

      Caedmon,

      I have, what I believe to be pictures of sling stones. They are specific
      in size and weight, and maybe you could confirm them as being such.

      A little over a year ago, the local SCA bunch here in Arn Hold (Boise
      Idaho) was given a rare treat, which was the opportunity to view, handle,
      photograph and in general drool over, a large weapons collection given to
      the local museum before it was cataloged and put away or on display. I
      have several pics of arrow points, both handbow and crossbow, slingstones
      (I think), rapier type blades, other swords (some middle-eastern), and
      polearms.

      Interested?

      Godwin