Re: Wooden Arrows , Notches,Combat Arrows

  • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
      Greetings...
      For the Ya that I use for Makiwara and for regular free flight target
      practice, I have been using regular deer antler. I shape the nock
      and use a drill press of slightly smaller diamater than my string,
      then slot it with a hand saw and a jig. The knock has a tang,
      much like an arrow head, that gets fitted into a hole drilled out in
      the back end of the Ya (like an arrow head).
      I reenforce the wood around the base of the nock with silk thread
      for thirty turns. Then I lacquer the thread and let it harden. Since I
      am using turkey feathers to fletch, I have chosen a brown thread
      to compliment the fletching and shaft, but I suppose any color
      would be good...
      I have made a matched set of twenty of these Ya for both
      makiwara and free flight, and have been happy with their results.
      When I can afford 20 bamboo shafts I will do the same, but for
      now, I must use what is available. I have a steel turning lathe that
      I sometimes press into wood-working service...but you will have
      that...

      Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
      Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equall in the grave...