RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: Wooden Arrows , Notches,Combat Arrows

  • Guy Taylor
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
      Just in case you want to use real horn...
      I get mine from knife supply catalogs. Water buffalo horn already slabbed
      for knife handles. It's easy to cut slices for nock inserts.
      Here's one source:
      http://www.knifeandgun.com/catalog/water_buffalo_horn_1516448.htm

      Taillear

    • jameswolfden
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
        For inserts in self-nocks, I like purpleheart wood for its
        contrasting colour. I use a two or three hacksaws to cut the insert
        slot and the nock slot. I use a table saw to cut off the purpleheart
        inserts.

        James Wolfden
      • archer3@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
          To reinforce my self nocks I use linen thread tied in a temporary
          whipping and finished with a square knot, providing me with an index.
          Not as permanent as an insert, but if it comes off I only need about six
          or seven inches of thread and about 30 seconds. I position the wrap to
          where it finishes around 3/16 forward of the nock.

          Damian >>~~~>
        • hanhebin
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
            > To reinforce my self nocks I use linen thread tied in a temporary
            > whipping and finished with a square knot, providing me with an
            > index. Not as permanent as an insert, but if it comes off I only
            > need about six or seven inches of thread and about 30 seconds. I
            > position the wrap to where it finishes around 3/16 forward of the
            > nock.

            For range arrows I cheat and use Dynaflight 97 instead of animal
            hide. Is more durable than thread and I have enough colors that
            depending on how I stain my shafts I can always get the wrapping to
            stand out.

            Michael
          • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
              Greetings...
              For the Ya that I use for Makiwara and for regular free flight target
              practice, I have been using regular deer antler. I shape the nock
              and use a drill press of slightly smaller diamater than my string,
              then slot it with a hand saw and a jig. The knock has a tang,
              much like an arrow head, that gets fitted into a hole drilled out in
              the back end of the Ya (like an arrow head).
              I reenforce the wood around the base of the nock with silk thread
              for thirty turns. Then I lacquer the thread and let it harden. Since I
              am using turkey feathers to fletch, I have chosen a brown thread
              to compliment the fletching and shaft, but I suppose any color
              would be good...
              I have made a matched set of twenty of these Ya for both
              makiwara and free flight, and have been happy with their results.
              When I can afford 20 bamboo shafts I will do the same, but for
              now, I must use what is available. I have a steel turning lathe that
              I sometimes press into wood-working service...but you will have
              that...

              Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
              Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equall in the grave...