Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Wooden Arrows , Notches,Combat Arrows

  • blockflute1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
      To strengthen the nocks I cut I use a 1/16 inch ceramic cutoff wheel and cut
      a notch 90 degrees from the string notch (I do this before I cut the string
      nock) and glue in a slice of horn (1/16 micarta) and sand it down flush with
      the surface once cured. Then I cut the string nock.

    • Guy Taylor
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
        Just in case you want to use real horn...
        I get mine from knife supply catalogs. Water buffalo horn already slabbed
        for knife handles. It's easy to cut slices for nock inserts.
        Here's one source:
        http://www.knifeandgun.com/catalog/water_buffalo_horn_1516448.htm

        Taillear

      • jameswolfden
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
          For inserts in self-nocks, I like purpleheart wood for its
          contrasting colour. I use a two or three hacksaws to cut the insert
          slot and the nock slot. I use a table saw to cut off the purpleheart
          inserts.

          James Wolfden
        • archer3@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
            To reinforce my self nocks I use linen thread tied in a temporary
            whipping and finished with a square knot, providing me with an index.
            Not as permanent as an insert, but if it comes off I only need about six
            or seven inches of thread and about 30 seconds. I position the wrap to
            where it finishes around 3/16 forward of the nock.

            Damian >>~~~>
          • hanhebin
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
              > To reinforce my self nocks I use linen thread tied in a temporary
              > whipping and finished with a square knot, providing me with an
              > index. Not as permanent as an insert, but if it comes off I only
              > need about six or seven inches of thread and about 30 seconds. I
              > position the wrap to where it finishes around 3/16 forward of the
              > nock.

              For range arrows I cheat and use Dynaflight 97 instead of animal
              hide. Is more durable than thread and I have enough colors that
              depending on how I stain my shafts I can always get the wrapping to
              stand out.

              Michael
            • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
                Greetings...
                For the Ya that I use for Makiwara and for regular free flight target
                practice, I have been using regular deer antler. I shape the nock
                and use a drill press of slightly smaller diamater than my string,
                then slot it with a hand saw and a jig. The knock has a tang,
                much like an arrow head, that gets fitted into a hole drilled out in
                the back end of the Ya (like an arrow head).
                I reenforce the wood around the base of the nock with silk thread
                for thirty turns. Then I lacquer the thread and let it harden. Since I
                am using turkey feathers to fletch, I have chosen a brown thread
                to compliment the fletching and shaft, but I suppose any color
                would be good...
                I have made a matched set of twenty of these Ya for both
                makiwara and free flight, and have been happy with their results.
                When I can afford 20 bamboo shafts I will do the same, but for
                now, I must use what is available. I have a steel turning lathe that
                I sometimes press into wood-working service...but you will have
                that...

                Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equall in the grave...