Re: [SCA-Archery] Wooden Arrows , Notches,Combat Arrows

  • Keith Hood
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 6 12:42 PM

      >The is more of a 'how to' query. I've started to make my own arrows
      >but I've run into a problem with the notches. How is the notched
      >carved into the arrow shaft so it won't fall of the string?

      If you use a nock point on the string, just hold the nock against the nock point. If you want your nock point to be more period than a modern swaged nock point, tie a piece of string around the bowstring at the right place and trim off the loose ends. This is a heck of a lot easier than trying to carve a hold nock.

      If you still want to make your own hold nocks and you have power tools you can do this: drill a hole through the shaft about 1/4 in from the end of the shaft. Use a drill press--DON'T try to drill this by hand. Then cut a slot from that hole to the end of the shaft. Just make the hole diameter slightly smaller than the string, and it will be tight enough to hold the nock in place if you let the arrow slip off the bow, but the force involved in loosing will be enough to snap the string loose. You may have to experiment to find the correct hole diameter. You have to be REAL careful during drilling and cutting to hold the shaft still. And of course, you have to make sure both the drilled hole and the slot are properly aligned with the nock feather.

    • Godwin fitzGilbert
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 7 6:03 AM
        --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "Terrence Andre Payette" <shaman@s...> wrote:
        -snip-

        > The is more of a 'how to' query. I've started to make my own arrows
        > but I've run into a problem with the notches. How is the notched
        > carved into the arrow shaft so it won't fall of the string?

        From the way you state this, I will (I know it's bad but...) assume
        that you use pinch nocks. I would start practicing with mercury nocks
        (or quick nocks) first. That may save you some frustration with your
        self nocked arrows.
        All I use is the mercury nock, so stepping over to the self-nock is
        not an issue as far as method goes. In training myself for when I
        actually get to start shooting my self nocks, I also disregard (or
        just file off) any index tab that the nock might have, so that I rely
        on the cock feather and 'feel' to get the arrow 'on' right.

        Godwin
      • hanhebin
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 7 9:01 AM
          > I carve my nocks with parallel sides 1/8 inch wide and 3/8 deep and
          > I dont have any problems. I use a 1/8 inch ceramic cutoff wheel
          > mounted in my drill press. The stelle is inserted in a hole the
          > jig I made for this purpose which is clamped to the drill press
          > table and pushed carefully into the wheel until the slot is deep
          > enough.

          I do something very similar here but with unpowered tools. I have
          found that with as much shooting as I do my hand cut nocks do break.
          In order to strengthen my nocks here is what I do:

          1) I narrow the shaft between the nock and all the way to where the
          end of my feathers will go. Because I frequently stagger my
          fletching you may want to use a pencil to get this line correct.

          2) I get some fresh kill elk, deer or cowhide (elk is the best) and I
          cut it exceptionally thin. This takes practice and much more
          patience than I usually have. Thin means thin and I cut my hides
          thinner than garden twine.

          NOTE: I have found the best place to get hide cheap is go to a
          facility that destroyes old animals (aka Glue Factory).
          Usually you can end up enough hide for a few dozen arrows
          and pay nothing. Bring plenty of plastic bags because these
          hides will be fresh kill.

          3) I soak the hide in water. I add a little salt to make the water
          brinelike and heat the water to about 120 degrees.

          NOTE: I recommend you get a digital flue thermometer. Taylor or
          Cooper sell these for around $10 at any hardware store. You
          will need to watch the thread because too much heat for too
          long will weaken your thread.

          4) I tuck the end of the hide thread down about 1/2" down my narrowed
          shaft down where my index feather will be and I wrap over the
          thread down all the way to where my nock begins. The last quarter
          of the distance I losely wrap the hide so I can tuck the other end
          back through the wraps. Then I carefully slide my end of the hide
          thread through the wrap and tighten one loop at a time until you
          cannot see where I hid my ends.

          NOTE: I would recommend that you practice this with something
          other than animal hide because I made too many mistakes
          learning the technique. I am still slow at making hide
          thread it will save you more than a few headaches.

          5) I place the thread over my heating duck and let the air blow dry
          the wet hide. This will cause the hide to shrink and will
          reinforce the shaft.

          NOTE: This technique was used for building when metal nails were
          not available and there are plenty of old books documenting
          the technique.

          Once you get this technique down, try making a longer thread and
          wrapping your fletching with the same thread. Makes a wonderful
          looking arrow although you need to be shooting 50#+ to make the arrow
          fly right.

          Michael
        • blockflute1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 7 11:18 AM
            To strengthen the nocks I cut I use a 1/16 inch ceramic cutoff wheel and cut
            a notch 90 degrees from the string notch (I do this before I cut the string
            nock) and glue in a slice of horn (1/16 micarta) and sand it down flush with
            the surface once cured. Then I cut the string nock.

          • Guy Taylor
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 7 3:49 PM
              Just in case you want to use real horn...
              I get mine from knife supply catalogs. Water buffalo horn already slabbed
              for knife handles. It's easy to cut slices for nock inserts.
              Here's one source:
              http://www.knifeandgun.com/catalog/water_buffalo_horn_1516448.htm

              Taillear

            • jameswolfden
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 7 4:40 PM
                For inserts in self-nocks, I like purpleheart wood for its
                contrasting colour. I use a two or three hacksaws to cut the insert
                slot and the nock slot. I use a table saw to cut off the purpleheart
                inserts.

                James Wolfden
              • archer3@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 7 5:01 PM
                  To reinforce my self nocks I use linen thread tied in a temporary
                  whipping and finished with a square knot, providing me with an index.
                  Not as permanent as an insert, but if it comes off I only need about six
                  or seven inches of thread and about 30 seconds. I position the wrap to
                  where it finishes around 3/16 forward of the nock.

                  Damian >>~~~>
                • hanhebin
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 7 8:07 PM
                    > To reinforce my self nocks I use linen thread tied in a temporary
                    > whipping and finished with a square knot, providing me with an
                    > index. Not as permanent as an insert, but if it comes off I only
                    > need about six or seven inches of thread and about 30 seconds. I
                    > position the wrap to where it finishes around 3/16 forward of the
                    > nock.

                    For range arrows I cheat and use Dynaflight 97 instead of animal
                    hide. Is more durable than thread and I have enough colors that
                    depending on how I stain my shafts I can always get the wrapping to
                    stand out.

                    Michael
                  • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 8 9:30 AM
                      Greetings...
                      For the Ya that I use for Makiwara and for regular free flight target
                      practice, I have been using regular deer antler. I shape the nock
                      and use a drill press of slightly smaller diamater than my string,
                      then slot it with a hand saw and a jig. The knock has a tang,
                      much like an arrow head, that gets fitted into a hole drilled out in
                      the back end of the Ya (like an arrow head).
                      I reenforce the wood around the base of the nock with silk thread
                      for thirty turns. Then I lacquer the thread and let it harden. Since I
                      am using turkey feathers to fletch, I have chosen a brown thread
                      to compliment the fletching and shaft, but I suppose any color
                      would be good...
                      I have made a matched set of twenty of these Ya for both
                      makiwara and free flight, and have been happy with their results.
                      When I can afford 20 bamboo shafts I will do the same, but for
                      now, I must use what is available. I have a steel turning lathe that
                      I sometimes press into wood-working service...but you will have
                      that...

                      Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                      Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equall in the grave...