Wooden Arrows , Notches,Combat Arrows

  • Terrence Andre Payette
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 5, 2002
      Greetings M'Lords and M'Ladies

      May the Wind be in your Face and the Sun be on your Back

      I havn't picked up a bow for over twenty years now I find myself now
      I find myself learning all over again. I have a couple of questions,
      as of now, proably a lot more later.

      The is more of a 'how to' query. I've started to make my own arrows
      but I've run into a problem with the notches. How is the notched
      carved into the arrow shaft so it won't fall of the string?

      Combat Arrows

      I've seen the examples of 'legal' arrows used for SCA combat. I have
      seen one from a distance. The fletching part seems simple enough and
      so does the 'tip' but how is the tip attached to the shaft?

      Any information would be helpful, Yours- Raven of Armstrong
    • Harry Bilings
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 6, 2002
        Some of this is easer to demonstrate than describe. In what Kingdom/city do
        you live?
        plachoya

        >Greetings M'Lords and M'Ladies
        >
        >May the Wind be in your Face and the Sun be on your Back
        >
        >I havn't picked up a bow for over twenty years now I find myself now
        >I find myself learning all over again. I have a couple of questions,
        >as of now, proably a lot more later.
        >
        >The is more of a 'how to' query. I've started to make my own arrows
        >but I've run into a problem with the notches. How is the notched
        >carved into the arrow shaft so it won't fall of the string?
        >
        >Combat Arrows
        >
        >I've seen the examples of 'legal' arrows used for SCA combat. I have
        >seen one from a distance. The fletching part seems simple enough and
        >so does the 'tip' but how is the tip attached to the shaft?
        >
        >Any information would be helpful, Yours- Raven of Armstrong

        humble archer
        Ravens Fort Ansteorra

      • blockflute1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 6, 2002
          I carve my nocks with parallel sides 1/8 inch wide and 3/8 deep and I dont
          have any problems. I use a 1/8 inch ceramic cutoff wheel mounted in my drill
          press. The stelle is inserted in a hole the jig I made for this purpose
          which is clamped to the drill press table and pushed carefully into the wheel
          until the slot is deep enough.

        • Keith Hood
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 6, 2002

            >The is more of a 'how to' query. I've started to make my own arrows
            >but I've run into a problem with the notches. How is the notched
            >carved into the arrow shaft so it won't fall of the string?

            If you use a nock point on the string, just hold the nock against the nock point. If you want your nock point to be more period than a modern swaged nock point, tie a piece of string around the bowstring at the right place and trim off the loose ends. This is a heck of a lot easier than trying to carve a hold nock.

            If you still want to make your own hold nocks and you have power tools you can do this: drill a hole through the shaft about 1/4 in from the end of the shaft. Use a drill press--DON'T try to drill this by hand. Then cut a slot from that hole to the end of the shaft. Just make the hole diameter slightly smaller than the string, and it will be tight enough to hold the nock in place if you let the arrow slip off the bow, but the force involved in loosing will be enough to snap the string loose. You may have to experiment to find the correct hole diameter. You have to be REAL careful during drilling and cutting to hold the shaft still. And of course, you have to make sure both the drilled hole and the slot are properly aligned with the nock feather.

          • Godwin fitzGilbert
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
              --- In SCA-Archery@y..., "Terrence Andre Payette" <shaman@s...> wrote:
              -snip-

              > The is more of a 'how to' query. I've started to make my own arrows
              > but I've run into a problem with the notches. How is the notched
              > carved into the arrow shaft so it won't fall of the string?

              From the way you state this, I will (I know it's bad but...) assume
              that you use pinch nocks. I would start practicing with mercury nocks
              (or quick nocks) first. That may save you some frustration with your
              self nocked arrows.
              All I use is the mercury nock, so stepping over to the self-nock is
              not an issue as far as method goes. In training myself for when I
              actually get to start shooting my self nocks, I also disregard (or
              just file off) any index tab that the nock might have, so that I rely
              on the cock feather and 'feel' to get the arrow 'on' right.

              Godwin
            • hanhebin
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
                > I carve my nocks with parallel sides 1/8 inch wide and 3/8 deep and
                > I dont have any problems. I use a 1/8 inch ceramic cutoff wheel
                > mounted in my drill press. The stelle is inserted in a hole the
                > jig I made for this purpose which is clamped to the drill press
                > table and pushed carefully into the wheel until the slot is deep
                > enough.

                I do something very similar here but with unpowered tools. I have
                found that with as much shooting as I do my hand cut nocks do break.
                In order to strengthen my nocks here is what I do:

                1) I narrow the shaft between the nock and all the way to where the
                end of my feathers will go. Because I frequently stagger my
                fletching you may want to use a pencil to get this line correct.

                2) I get some fresh kill elk, deer or cowhide (elk is the best) and I
                cut it exceptionally thin. This takes practice and much more
                patience than I usually have. Thin means thin and I cut my hides
                thinner than garden twine.

                NOTE: I have found the best place to get hide cheap is go to a
                facility that destroyes old animals (aka Glue Factory).
                Usually you can end up enough hide for a few dozen arrows
                and pay nothing. Bring plenty of plastic bags because these
                hides will be fresh kill.

                3) I soak the hide in water. I add a little salt to make the water
                brinelike and heat the water to about 120 degrees.

                NOTE: I recommend you get a digital flue thermometer. Taylor or
                Cooper sell these for around $10 at any hardware store. You
                will need to watch the thread because too much heat for too
                long will weaken your thread.

                4) I tuck the end of the hide thread down about 1/2" down my narrowed
                shaft down where my index feather will be and I wrap over the
                thread down all the way to where my nock begins. The last quarter
                of the distance I losely wrap the hide so I can tuck the other end
                back through the wraps. Then I carefully slide my end of the hide
                thread through the wrap and tighten one loop at a time until you
                cannot see where I hid my ends.

                NOTE: I would recommend that you practice this with something
                other than animal hide because I made too many mistakes
                learning the technique. I am still slow at making hide
                thread it will save you more than a few headaches.

                5) I place the thread over my heating duck and let the air blow dry
                the wet hide. This will cause the hide to shrink and will
                reinforce the shaft.

                NOTE: This technique was used for building when metal nails were
                not available and there are plenty of old books documenting
                the technique.

                Once you get this technique down, try making a longer thread and
                wrapping your fletching with the same thread. Makes a wonderful
                looking arrow although you need to be shooting 50#+ to make the arrow
                fly right.

                Michael
              • blockflute1@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
                  To strengthen the nocks I cut I use a 1/16 inch ceramic cutoff wheel and cut
                  a notch 90 degrees from the string notch (I do this before I cut the string
                  nock) and glue in a slice of horn (1/16 micarta) and sand it down flush with
                  the surface once cured. Then I cut the string nock.

                • Guy Taylor
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
                    Just in case you want to use real horn...
                    I get mine from knife supply catalogs. Water buffalo horn already slabbed
                    for knife handles. It's easy to cut slices for nock inserts.
                    Here's one source:
                    http://www.knifeandgun.com/catalog/water_buffalo_horn_1516448.htm

                    Taillear

                  • jameswolfden
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
                      For inserts in self-nocks, I like purpleheart wood for its
                      contrasting colour. I use a two or three hacksaws to cut the insert
                      slot and the nock slot. I use a table saw to cut off the purpleheart
                      inserts.

                      James Wolfden
                    • archer3@webtv.net
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
                        To reinforce my self nocks I use linen thread tied in a temporary
                        whipping and finished with a square knot, providing me with an index.
                        Not as permanent as an insert, but if it comes off I only need about six
                        or seven inches of thread and about 30 seconds. I position the wrap to
                        where it finishes around 3/16 forward of the nock.

                        Damian >>~~~>
                      • hanhebin
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 7, 2002
                          > To reinforce my self nocks I use linen thread tied in a temporary
                          > whipping and finished with a square knot, providing me with an
                          > index. Not as permanent as an insert, but if it comes off I only
                          > need about six or seven inches of thread and about 30 seconds. I
                          > position the wrap to where it finishes around 3/16 forward of the
                          > nock.

                          For range arrows I cheat and use Dynaflight 97 instead of animal
                          hide. Is more durable than thread and I have enough colors that
                          depending on how I stain my shafts I can always get the wrapping to
                          stand out.

                          Michael
                        • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 8, 2002
                            Greetings...
                            For the Ya that I use for Makiwara and for regular free flight target
                            practice, I have been using regular deer antler. I shape the nock
                            and use a drill press of slightly smaller diamater than my string,
                            then slot it with a hand saw and a jig. The knock has a tang,
                            much like an arrow head, that gets fitted into a hole drilled out in
                            the back end of the Ya (like an arrow head).
                            I reenforce the wood around the base of the nock with silk thread
                            for thirty turns. Then I lacquer the thread and let it harden. Since I
                            am using turkey feathers to fletch, I have chosen a brown thread
                            to compliment the fletching and shaft, but I suppose any color
                            would be good...
                            I have made a matched set of twenty of these Ya for both
                            makiwara and free flight, and have been happy with their results.
                            When I can afford 20 bamboo shafts I will do the same, but for
                            now, I must use what is available. I have a steel turning lathe that
                            I sometimes press into wood-working service...but you will have
                            that...

                            Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                            Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equall in the grave...