Re: [SCA-Archery] Arcuarius

  • archer3@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 45 , Sep 29, 2002
      The Outlands has just started a teacher/student recognition symbol for
      archery. We are using white gloves for the Archers of the Iron Rain
      (AIR) i.e. Order of the Sharp Arrow, and red gloves for their students.
      As it has just been initiated there are a few particulars to work out.
      No sumptuary laws, the beginning of a new tradition. No "official"
      titles are attached.
      For want of a better term the students are currently being referred to
      as scouts, with no designation for the teachers.
      I understand the concerns with the distancing, but the hope is that
      folks here will see it more as, there is an Archer, as opposed to, we
      have archers? Or, where are the archers? Upper and lower case intended.
      And be able to recognize, here is a person that will help me. It is not
      with the intent of, "Since you won't recognize us, we will recognize
      ourselves."
      Politics? That will have to be dealt with locally. I was surprised at
      the difference with which both combat and target archery were viewed
      when I moved from An Tir to the Outlands eight years ago.
      Do we _need_ a system of teacher/student recognition? IMO, no. We all
      being archers understand the sharing of knowledge and the true honor,
      and nobility in conduct that comes with being an Archer.
      Does such a system's benefits out weigh it's non-existence? IMO, yes,
      if for no other reason than to let those know outside of the present
      archery community, that we are vibrant and growing. That there are those
      with a wealth of knowledge willing to pass it on.
      I may not be the most period ditch digger in the Known World, but I'll
      teach you what I know, if one has the desire to learn, bracer/glove or
      not, and if I say so myself, I dig one heck of a ditch! :-)

      THL Damian d'Antioche >>~~~>
      AIR, CGP, CWF,............
    • archer3@webtv.net