Re: [SCA-Archery] Cautionary Tales

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 29, 2002
      Time for my two pence.

      First I know personal know Demetrious and I vouch for his skill at stringing
      bows. Secound I did not get to see the type of stringer he was using. For
      a wood long bow it should have been the two pocket type that pulls from the
      tips. The other kinds that pull the bow from the middle of one limb should
      not be used(step though method without a stringer would be better for the
      bow). Third wood bows break...they even break while making them. Even if
      you coddle(sp) them with too much care they WILL break. That is the main
      reason the only bows (from period) we have found are ones that have been
      lost. The rest have been used for kinlin(sp) (to start a fire).

      James Cunningham