Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: titles and archers

  • Eadric Anstapa
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2002
      Marko Peussa <marko.peussa@...> said:

      > In the SCA, we make up, or invent, modern ideas of medieval archery. Then we
      > try to recreate those modern ideas. In the Barony of Aarnimets´┐Ż, of these
      > modern ideas of medieval archery, we have done noble tournaments and funny
      > hunting parties. They have been just for fun and friends.
      >
      > On the more serious side, I've been able to track down only _one_ living
      > archery tradition that can be documented down to the middle ages by written
      > evidence. There are a couple of others, but they lack written evidence. All
      > these are Japanese archery traditions.
      >
      > You got it, I joined that _one_ six years ago.
      >
      > Klaus

      My understanding is that the Korean traditions can also be documented to
      period times. There are both preserved manuscripts and writings on the walls
      inside the archery training facilities (Oryunjung).

      In fact, the earliest documentation of archery, or Kuk Kung, practice dates
      to 37 B.C., when the founding king of Kokuryo Kingdom was an expert archer.
      As part of his reign, he mandated that all government officers be fluent in
      the practice of Kuk Kung. For many years, archery was practiced primarily by
      warriors and government officers. This began to change during the reign of
      King Sunjo of the Yi dynasty. In the 16th century, the king opened the first
      public archery facility for civilians called Oryunjung.

      I have a couple of video tapes on Korean archery and it's history that go
      into pretty good detaiil. The was also a pretty good article in Instictive
      Archer back in 1997.

      Regards,

      --
      Lord Eadric Anstapa