Re: Royal Rounds - Macsen

  • JimHart ConalO'hAirt
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 1999
      everyone....
      stop...
      breathe...
      think...
      breathe again...
      RELAX...
      breathe deeply...
      and remember we are supposed to be adults

      This public service announcement brought to you
      by those who get tired of this kind of thing.....

    • Leonard & Patty Baldt
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 1999
        Macsen:
        Let me be the first to publicly apologize for my tone. However, I feel
        the tone was set when the name calling was started. I for one, in my
        Kingdom, was offended.

        Now, let me thank you for your list. It is a good base to build upon.
        The 5 spot blue face target is a good one. The local archery club that
        I belong to uses them along with the 3 spot Vegas targets and small
        animal targets for indoor winter leagues. String shoots with 3-D
        animals is fun. I attend different traditional only 3-D shoots around
        the area.

        By the way, I use a longbow. I have several ranging from custom built
        takedowns to production run composites, to D-shaped English longbows
        with bone nocks. Don't really have a favorite, they are all fun.

        Now, "follow the leader", huh? I refer to that as stump shooting.
        Great fun when camping with friends.

        Well, looking back on your list, it seems we may not be all that
        different after all.

        Leonidas
        Shire of Vulkanfeldt
        Kingdom of An Tir
      • Bob & Nancy Upson
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 1999
          > Let me be the first to publicly apologize for my tone. However, I feel
          > the tone was set when the name calling was started. I for one, in my
          > Kingdom, was offended.

          Your apology, graciously offered, is accepted. Let me also tender
          my own apology for the offense. Sometimes being passionate
          about a topic can lead one to step over the line.

          > Now, let me thank you for your list. It is a good base to build upon.
          [snipped for brevity]

          > By the way, I use a longbow. I have several ranging from custom built
          > takedowns to production run composites, to D-shaped English longbows
          > with bone nocks. Don't really have a favorite, they are all fun.

          Longbow is also my preferred weapon, although my collection isn't as
          extensive as your own. I generally switch between a Pearson Old
          Ben (my first SCA bow) and a venerable Martin Bush Bandit (a
          beautiful but heavy custom laminate bow). When I'm playing on the
          Dark Side of the Force, I shoot a mongrel "perioid" crossbow (riflish
          stock, rolling lock, glass prod, sinew bridle). I have a shop full of
          crossbow parts to build another more period version one of these
          days and vague plans for a double prod version to follow.

          > Well, looking back on your list, it seems we may not be all that
          > different after all.

          Isn't that always the way of it? =)

          YIS,
          Macsen
        • John Bowslayer
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 6, 1999
            Macsen , If you have any more negative comments to say about the Kingdom of
            An Tir or the rules or its archers, please send them to me personally. I am
            responsible for the rules here. In the past I have read your posts. Usually
            they are well thought out. But you have sunk to personal insults. You have
            offended my Kingdom, family, friends and me. Please stop
            HLS John Bowslayer, OGGS, Yeoman, Sergeant
            Royal Archer of An Tir
            Bowslayer@...

            > > I see the vote starting to come in. It seems that people are growing
            > > weary of your ranting
            >
            > First off, sirrah, I will ask once politely that you rein in your tone on
            > the list. Secondly, I will point out that, if you take a closer look, I
            > am not the only person questioning the overuse and abuse of RRs.
            > As an entirely mundane shoot, their prominence in SCA archery
            > just plain doesn't Make sense.
            >
            > > without offering any alternatives. Now don't bore us with York, Clout,
            > > Wand, and Pop-N-Jay......as these are events that we are already
            > > including as regular events when
            > > range facilities are such that allows us the room to shoot.
            >
            > The number of shoots available to SCA archers is as unlimited as
            > your imagination. The same "range facilities" that make RRs
            > possible allow for wands, slots, friend/foe, knock-downs, unmarked
            > distance, five spots, string shoots, follow the leaders, and anything
            > else you care to name.
            >
            > All of them are good teaching tools, all can be shot on limited
            > ranges, all can be adjusted to challenge but not overwhelm any
            > archer of any skill, and in combination they make for a better
            > overall archer than just shooting RRs all day. (Which only makes
            > better RR shooters.)
            >
            > > You stand on your soap box and tell us "Bozos" that we don't know any
            > > better.
            >
            > So, in your opinion, the fact that your kingdom couldn't come up
            > with anything better than a joke name appropriated from a private
            > East Kingdom psuedo-ranking for its official archery ranking for
            > RRs over 119.67 doesn't strike you as silly? *Surely* somebody
            > could come up with a better attempt than that.
            >
            > > So, give us the benefit of your extensive knowledge. Give us some
            > > examples. Time to put up or shut up!
            >
            > Am I to understand that RRs and the short list of possible shoots
            > you mentioned above are the only types of shoots you can
            > conceive of without assistance? Ask around, talk to other archers,
            > make something up. But, whatever you do, I'll bet you become a
            > better archer if you break out of the RR mold and spend more time
            > on variety than on repetative mundanity.
            >
            > Macsen

          • Bob & Nancy Upson
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 6, 1999
              > Macsen , If you have any more negative comments to say about the Kingdom of
              > An Tir or the rules or its archers, please send them to me personally. I am
              > responsible for the rules here. In the past I have read your posts. Usually
              > they are well thought out. But you have sunk to personal insults. You have
              > offended my Kingdom, family, friends and me. Please stop

              Responded to on the list as a final public statement.

              With respect, I have only offered my opinion regarding the inclusion
              of "Ludicrous Bowman" as an official ranking. It is, IMHO, a poor
              choice of titles for an official award and I am highly disappointed
              that *any* kingdom would "officialize" such a joke name for a rank
              that represents such a high level of skill.

              In short, I have stated my opinion regarding An Tir's collective
              decision to create a top level archery ranking and name it
              "Ludicrous." I have offered personal insults to no one. If you read
              insults into my opinion, that is entirely your option but I cannot be
              held responsible for your interpretations.

              Macsen
            • Yaakov or Ralph
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 1999
                If I amy make a sugestion, please take this off line and resolve it that
                way.

                Yaakov Avraham ben Obadiah
                (Silly) Ludicrous Bowman of the Knowne World

                > > I see the vote starting to come in. It seems that people are growing
                > > weary of your ranting
                >
                > First off, sirrah, I will ask once politely that you rein in your tone on
                > the list. Secondly, I will point out that, if you take a closer look, I
                > am not the only person questioning the overuse and abuse of RRs.
                > As an entirely mundane shoot, their prominence in SCA archery
                > just plain doesn't Make sense.
                >
                > > without offering any alternatives. Now don't bore us with York, Clout,
                > > Wand, and Pop-N-Jay......as these are events that we are already
                > > including as regular events when
                > > range facilities are such that allows us the room to shoot.
                >
                > The number of shoots available to SCA archers is as unlimited as
                > your imagination. The same "range facilities" that make RRs
                > possible allow for wands, slots, friend/foe, knock-downs, unmarked
                > distance, five spots, string shoots, follow the leaders, and anything
                > else you care to name.
                >
                > All of them are good teaching tools, all can be shot on limited
                > ranges, all can be adjusted to challenge but not overwhelm any
                > archer of any skill, and in combination they make for a better
                > overall archer than just shooting RRs all day. (Which only makes
                > better RR shooters.)
                >
                > > You stand on your soap box and tell us "Bozos" that we don't know any
                > > better.
                >
                > So, in your opinion, the fact that your kingdom couldn't come up
                > with anything better than a joke name appropriated from a private
                > East Kingdom psuedo-ranking for its official archery ranking for
                > RRs over 119.67 doesn't strike you as silly? *Surely* somebody
                > could come up with a better attempt than that.
                >
                > > So, give us the benefit of your extensive knowledge. Give us some
                > > examples. Time to put up or shut up!
                >
                > Am I to understand that RRs and the short list of possible shoots
                > you mentioned above are the only types of shoots you can
                > conceive of without assistance? Ask around, talk to other archers,
                > make something up. But, whatever you do, I'll bet you become a
                > better archer if you break out of the RR mold and spend more time
                > on variety than on repetative mundanity.
                >
                > Macsen

                This list sponsored by House Wyvern Hall
                of Barony Beyond the Mountain, East Kingdom
                [SCA-Archery-unsubscribe@... to leave this list]
              • Brad Boda d'Aylward
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 7, 1999
                  Bob & Nancy Upson wrote:

                  > With respect, I have only offered my opinion regarding the inclusion
                  > of "Ludicrous Bowman" as an official ranking. It is, IMHO, a poor
                  > choice of titles for an official award and I am highly disappointed
                  > that *any* kingdom would "officialize" such a joke name for a rank
                  > that represents such a high level of skill.
                  >
                  > In short, I have stated my opinion regarding An Tir's collective
                  > decision to create a top level archery ranking and name it
                  > "Ludicrous." I have offered personal insults to no one. If you read
                  > insults into my opinion, that is entirely your option but I cannot be
                  > held responsible for your interpretations.
                  >
                  > Macsen

                  I encourage new comers to the society to pick a name for themselves
                  within the first six to twelve months of activity with us because of the
                  very real possibility of getting tagged with a name not of their own
                  choosing. It would appear that this is the case with the Ludicrous
                  Bowman. I doubt that those archers who shot those scores chose that
                  designator to describe their proficiency but the name has been used for
                  long enough and has such a recognition factor that it has stuck and now
                  been recognized as such. Nuts, should have caught that one sooner. Oh
                  well, now we'll just have to live with it it would seem. I doubt that it
                  will ever be changed no matter the 'rightness' or 'wrongness' associated
                  with the 'title'.

                  Brad