New season for the Vögelschützen mail-in shoot

  • cwilson@mhmh.org
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 11, 2002
      The 2002-2003 season of the Vögelschützen has begun.

      http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/Vrules.html

      The Vögelschützen is a mail-in competition sponsored by The Honorable
      Company of the Crossbow and is a 40-yard shoot. There are two divisions to
      the shoot: No Sights and Sighted.

      So, if you have a crossbow, try it out. Encourage your other crossbow
      buddies to try it.

      In service,
      Caedmon
    • alberic
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 11, 2002
        >The 2002-2003 season of the Vögelschützen has begun.
        >
        >http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/Vrules.html
        >
        >The Vögelschützen is a mail-in competition sponsored by The Honorable
        >Company of the Crossbow and is a 40-yard shoot. There are two divisions to
        >the shoot: No Sights and Sighted.
        >
        >So, if you have a crossbow, try it out. Encourage your other crossbow
        >buddies to try it.
        >
        >In service,
        >Caedmon

        Yes, please do shoot it. If you win, you get a really snazzy
        sterling silver medallion.
        Pictures of the medallion available at
        http://www.alberic.net/personal/pix
        Scroll to the bottom of the list, and click on the bird.

        Cheers-
        Alberic
      • Scott L Hecathorn
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 11, 2002
          it is a very nice prize, albeit a little heavy. Especially when a flock
          starts to gather... :)

          Robert Thorne

          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
        • Chad Wilson
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 12, 2002
            --- Scott L Hecathorn <robert1015@...> wrote:
            > it is a very nice prize, albeit a little heavy. Especially when a flock
            > starts to gather... :)

            Oh, hush you, mister winner of last year's competition.

            -Caedmon

            Yahoo! - We Remember
            http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute
          • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 13, 2002
              You know, you might get a number of more submissions if it weren't for
              rules #18:

              18. Scores must be witnessed by an archery marshal other than the archer
              shooting the score.

              This shoot is designed to be done while doing RR practice, and most
              kingdoms/locals that I know of allow an archery marshal to record their own
              score for a RR.

              The rule #18 means that in areas that only have 1 archery marshal, that
              marshal can never turn in a round. Or perhaps (such as my situation),
              where there are other archery marshals, but you are the only one who seems
              to show up to practice.

              Siegfried

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 13, 2002
                --- Siegfried Sebastian Faust <crossbow@...> wrote:
                > You know, you might get a number of more submissions if it weren't for
                > rules #18:
                >
                > 18. Scores must be witnessed by an archery marshal other than the archer
                > shooting the score.

                This rule will most likely be changing to not require a witness.

                -Caedmon

                Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
                http://news.yahoo.com
              • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 13, 2002
                  At 11:59 AM 9/13/2002 -0700, Chad Wilson wrote:
                  >--- Siegfried Sebastian Faust <crossbow@...> wrote:
                  > > You know, you might get a number of more submissions if it weren't for
                  > > rules #18:
                  > >
                  > > 18. Scores must be witnessed by an archery marshal other than the archer
                  > > shooting the score.
                  >
                  >This rule will most likely be changing to not require a witness.

                  Siegfried jumps for joy ... wait: This season? Or NEXT?

                  Siegfried begins to reserve the joy ...

                  Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org
                • Chad Wilson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 13, 2002
                    --- Siegfried Sebastian Faust <crossbow@...> wrote:
                    > At 11:59 AM 9/13/2002 -0700, Chad Wilson wrote:
                    > >--- Siegfried Sebastian Faust <crossbow@...> wrote:
                    > > > You know, you might get a number of more submissions if it weren't for
                    > > > rules #18:
                    > > >
                    > > > 18. Scores must be witnessed by an archery marshal other than the archer
                    > > > shooting the score.
                    > >
                    > >This rule will most likely be changing to not require a witness.
                    >
                    > Siegfried jumps for joy ... wait: This season? Or NEXT?

                    The issue is being voted on now by the popinjay people. It would be for THIS
                    season and I have a feeling it will pass to allow anyone to submit a score
                    without a witness.

                    Who says you cannot change the rules in the middle of the game?

                    -Caedmon

                    Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
                    http://news.yahoo.com
                  • Carolus Eulenhorst
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 13, 2002
                      I know this is a private shoot but based on some things which have been
                      seen in the past having a witness (not necessarily a marshal) is a good
                      thing. I would encourage the sponsors to consider this option : "18
                      Scores must be witnessed." but I will leave the decision entirely to
                      their discretion.

                      In service to the dream
                      Carolus von Eulenhorst
                      eulenhorst@...

                      On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 11:59:51 -0700 (PDT) Chad Wilson <caeman@...>
                      writes:
                      > --- Siegfried Sebastian Faust <crossbow@...> wrote:
                      > > You know, you might get a number of more submissions if it weren't
                      > for
                      > > rules #18:
                      > >
                      > > 18. Scores must be witnessed by an archery marshal other than the
                      > archer
                      > > shooting the score.
                      >
                      > This rule will most likely be changing to not require a witness.
                      >
                      > -Caedmon

                      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                    • Talmon Parker
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 13, 2002
                        IMHO I would rather see it changed to the witness does not have to be a
                        marshal. but there still must be a witness.Not for dishonesty but for
                        saftey. a person shooting in competiton should not shoot without some one to
                        help in case of an emergency.
                        Parker

                        >From: Chad Wilson <caeman@...>
                        >To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] New season for the V�gelsch�tzen mail-in shoot
                        >Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 11:59:51 -0700 (PDT)
                        >
                        >--- Siegfried Sebastian Faust <crossbow@...> wrote:
                        > > You know, you might get a number of more submissions if it weren't for
                        > > rules #18:
                        > >
                        > > 18. Scores must be witnessed by an archery marshal other than the archer
                        > > shooting the score.
                        >
                        >This rule will most likely be changing to not require a witness.
                        >
                        >-Caedmon

                        >Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
                        >http://news.yahoo.com

                        DER BARON

                      • wyvern@megahits.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 14, 2002
                          On 14 Sep 2002 at 0:10, Talmon Parker wrote:

                          > IMHO I would rather see it changed to the witness does not have to
                          > be a
                          > marshal. but there still must be a witness.Not for dishonesty but for
                          > saftey. a person shooting in competiton should not shoot without some
                          > one to help in case of an emergency.

                          Such as?

                          Macsen
                          whos shoots alone in his back yard more often than not
                        • Harry Bilings
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 15, 2002
                            Some one doing some thing stupid such as see how light a bolt he can shoot
                            buy thinning the middle (think Fellwalker combat arrow) and have it fail
                            and send splinters all over.
                            plachoya

                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 15, 2002
                              On 15 Sep 2002 at 9:04, Harry Bilings wrote:

                              > Some one doing some thing stupid such as see how light a bolt he can
                              > shoot buy thinning the middle (think Fellwalker combat arrow) and
                              > have it fail and send splinters all over. plachoya > >Such as? >

                              What difference does it make if this person is shooting alone or with
                              someone else? (I'd almost prefer that they were alone -- less collateral
                              damage. =)

                              Macsen
                            • Harry Bilings
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 15, 2002
                                I would vote for that. How ever they may need some one to take them to the
                                hospital.
                                plachoya

                                >What difference does it make if this person is shooting alone or with
                                >someone else? (I'd almost prefer that they were alone -- less collateral
                                >damage. =)
                                >
                                >Macsen

                                humble archer
                                Ravens Fort Ansteorra

                              • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 16, 2002
                                  At 01:02 PM 9/13/2002 -0700, Carolus Eulenhorst wrote:
                                  >I know this is a private shoot but based on some things which have been
                                  >seen in the past having a witness (not necessarily a marshal) is a good
                                  >thing. I would encourage the sponsors to consider this option : "18
                                  >Scores must be witnessed." but I will leave the decision entirely to
                                  >their discretion.

                                  However, this can be very frustrating then to a lone marshal, who doesn't
                                  get someone else to show up to a practice, and then can't shoot for any scores.

                                  And hence the purpose of requiring a marshal in general, the idea being
                                  that someone who has become a marshal should be trustworthy enough to not
                                  cheat. Since if they wanted to cheat, they could cheat whether a witness
                                  was there or not, since they turn in the scores themselves anyway. Unless
                                  you are going to require the witness to any score to sign off on it, and
                                  then to double check it after submission to ensure its validity ... all of
                                  which is just a bit too over the top for my taste for the SCA and a few
                                  silly scores ...

                                  Siegfried

                                  Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org