Target Siege Engines

  • Joe Rogers
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 10, 2002
      Hi Evian,

      I guess it all depends on which kingdom you live in. Here in the Midrealm, the
      just past Archer General decided that target siege engines were under his
      jurisdiction and made it a requirement that any demos/competitions/etc must
      have an authorized archery marshal present to inspect and manage the demo.
      (He did not require the archery marshal to know anything about siege engines so
      there is some doubt in my mind as to how much the inspection was worth.)

      Aaaaah for the good old days when target siege was under the jurisdiction of the
      A & S Marshallate...er I mean Officer.

      Josef

      a little background. I asked the SEM, Eringlin, some
      specific questions about siege engines a while back.

      (parts deleted)

      I asked about using siege engines for target or demo
      purposes, and what the requirements were for such use. He
      answered:
    • wyvern@megahits.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 10, 2002
        On 10 Sep 2002 at 9:11, Joe Rogers wrote:

        > demos/competitions/etc must have an authorized archery marshal present
        > to inspect and manage the demo. (He did not require the archery
        > marshal to know anything about siege engines so there is some doubt in
        > my mind as to how much the inspection was worth.)

        This actually makes a certain amount of sense. Just as with archery
        equipment, the marshal isn't the person primarily responsible for
        insuring the safety of the equipment -- the person using the equipment
        is. The marshal's primary responsibility is making sure that the range
        itself is safe and clear. From that perspective, this particular take on
        what to do with non-combat engines seems pretty reasonable as long
        as nobody tries to extend it to every miniature marshmellow catapault
        and cigarette ballistae they find... =>

        > Aaaaah for the good old days when target siege was under the
        > jurisdiction of the A & S Marshallate...er I mean Officer.

        Better yet, the good old days when they weren't under *anybody's*
        jurisdiction...

        YIS,
        Macsen
        who was mortified to find that kids were no longer allowed to play at
        boffers without marshals... What'll it be next, yo-yo authorizations? =(
      • Angall
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 10, 2002
          Weren't yo-yos used as weapons... ???

          Angall

        • cwilson@mhmh.org
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 10, 2002
            The Midrealm Missiles Weapons Handbook clearly leads an Archery Marshal
            through the inspection of a siege engine, just like it leads an archery
            marshal through an archery range set up/inspection/range running.

            I, personally, have not had the chance to inspect a siege engine, but I am
            familiar with the range requirements and would feel comfortable inspecting
            siege weapons. At next year's Grand Tournament of the Unicorn, I want to
            add siege weapons.

            -Caedmon
          • Joe Rogers
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 10, 2002
              Are you certain Macsen? I thought that archery marshals inspected equipment
              for safety.

              Josef

              This actually makes a certain amount of sense. Just as with archery
              equipment, the marshal isn't the person primarily responsible for
              insuring the safety of the equipment -- the person using the equipment
              is.

              (deleted lines.)

              YIS,
              Macsen
            • Angall
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 10, 2002
                I agree here, but Macsen is right in a way, who in their right mind would show up (let alone use)
                with a bow that is delaminating, or a string that is obviously frayed. However, marshals are there
                to spot the not so obvious dangers.

                >>------->
                In service
                Lord Angall O Fearghail - OSag
                House of the Broken Axe
                www.brokenaxe.ca

                > Are you certain Macsen? I thought that archery marshals inspected equipment
                > for safety.
                >
                > Josef

              • Carolus Eulenhorst
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 10, 2002
                  Actually, Marshals are there to assure conformance with the Society
                  rules, not to certify the safe condition of the equipment. If they see
                  obviously unsafe equipment, they pull it but they can't be held
                  responsible for flaws which they can't see. Thus the rules specifically
                  state that the archer is responsible for the safe condition of their
                  equipment, not the marshal. If we made the marshal responsible for the
                  safe condition of equipment and a hidden flaw caused a breakage and
                  subsequent injury, the marshal, the event's sponsoring group, and the SCA
                  could be held liable. Thus the rule that we don't certify equipment's
                  safety only that we block obvious unsafe equipment. There is a subtle
                  difference.

                  In service to the dream
                  Carolus von Eulenhorst
                  eulenhorst@...

                  On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:38:09 -0400 "Angall" <angall@...> writes:
                  > I agree here, but Macsen is right in a way, who in their right mind
                  > would show up (let alone use)
                  > with a bow that is delaminating, or a string that is obviously
                  > frayed. However, marshals are there
                  > to spot the not so obvious dangers.
                  >
                  > >>------->
                  > In service
                  > Lord Angall O Fearghail - OSag
                  > House of the Broken Axe
                  > www.brokenaxe.ca
                  >
                  > > Are you certain Macsen? I thought that archery marshals inspected
                  > equipment
                  > > for safety.
                  > >
                  > > Josef

                  GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!