Re: [SCA-Archery] Harold's Quandry

  • Brad Boda d'Aylward
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 9, 2002
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Harold's Quandry

      >Harold, then please read when you get back.

      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

      >Now this is going to lead to me opening a basket of snakes amongst our list
      >group here, but let me ask this:
      >Why do we not required a more standardized authorization process for
      archery?
      >IMNSHO, archery as practiced in the SCA, is closer to the real martial art
      than
      >either heavy fighting or rapier. Both of which require an authorization. As
      >matter of fact, every other martial activity in the SCA requires a
      >authorization, except archery.
      >
      >Comments? Any areas currently using an authorization process?
      >
      >Godwin

      Basket of snakes? Bucket of worms? Can of ***?

      Yup. All that and more.

      The heavy weapons and fencing are full contact sports which pit a person
      against another in a contest of contact skill. Target archery is nothing
      more than that; a testing of a person's skill against an inanimate target
      which will suffer no adverse effects other than wearing out after a few
      seasons use.

      I have always been able to pick out the inexperienced archer by the way they
      handle their equipment before they ever loose a shaft down range. The
      experienced archer automatically place their feet properly whereas the
      inexperienced archer shows a subtle lack of confidence in their presence on
      the line. That's only one of many things which show up with the archer who
      doesn't have a great deal of experience drawing a bow.

      In every instance of the novice archer, I have approached them to offer
      advice concerning their form, make them feel welcome on the range, and
      explain the rules of the range if needed. I have seldom needed to *enforce*
      the rules of the range. Once in a great while I may have need to remind
      someone of these safety issues, but never more than once and never in anger.
      A simple reminder invariably generates a quick appology and the problem
      ceased to exist. Most everyone I've dealt with, including the youngest at
      eight years old, have acted in a most mature manner.

      There is no need for an authorization program for Target Archery. My
      personal reaction to the idea is that it must come from someone who *really
      likes* added and unnessary paperwork. Some people get off on the illusion of
      control which requiring authorization would give the powers that be. But
      that's only an opinion based on absolutely no facts whatsoever.

      I maintain,"Let the marshallate do the job they're hired to do." A good
      range marshal knows what to look for and how to deal with various issues
      when they arise. Perhaps the kingdom officers in some of the larger kingdoms
      with a spread out population base may feel the need for authorizations, but
      in Æthelmearc the archery community is a fairly well known group of people
      amongst themselves and the rest of the kingdom populace.

      For the most part, we're adults. We trust each other.

      Brad