Re: [SCA-Archery] Hickory or Ash?

  • john moore
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2002
      With a Anglo-Saxon persona a ELB would not be period for you. However, Ash
      is a very period wood for bows. My personal choice would be hickory as it
      seems to be the better bow wood. Ash is heavy and can be slow if not
      tillered right. Hickory has been known to have problems when used by itself
      for bows. Take your pick, do you want a bow that is made from a period wood
      or a bow that may be more stable yet not a period wood.(It is related to a
      European wood,don't remember which right now)
      Iaen Mor
      Gate's Edge
      iaenmor@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2002
        A traditional English Longbow of the late style would
        not be period. BUT a D Section Longbow of early
        simple make is VERY Anglo-Saxon.

        http://finance.yahoo.com