RE: period shoots

  • Taylesedrin
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 1999
      Ok, as a 'newbie' I've been lurking on this list since July, but I have to
      reply to Macsen's comments. I've listed that reply below, so you can see
      the thread I'm replying to.

      > > most of the lesser archers I have come in contact with WANT
      > royal rounds.
      > > many times at events I hear, "we gonna have RR's soon....we
      > gonna have time
      > > for RR's Sunday morning before breakdown?".
      >
      > They don't know any better. If nobody ever shows them more
      > interesting and challenging shoots, how could they know about
      > them?
      >
      > Macsen

      As a new archer, I want to reply to this. First a few details about me for
      background. I hail from the Canton of Port de L'eau, Barony of Madrona, An
      Tir and picked up a bow for the first time in the middle of July. It is a
      quality recurve(35# Martin x200), as I was advised that this was a better
      'learner' bow for me then a longbow. To forestall the period equipment
      discussion, I do plan to shift to more period equipment after I have a firm
      grasp of the basics.

      With that bit of introduction out of the way, I want to add my two pence on
      the Royal Rounds. Probably 95% of my shooting so far has been Royal Rounds.
      Do I feel cheated? Do I feel that I just don't know better? ABSOLUTELY
      NOT! When I started, I was lucky to hit the target, forget the paper or
      scoring rings! At the end of September I achieved a huge personal goal,
      making the rank of Archer based on my RR scores. This was not a competition
      with my fellow shooters, this was a competition with /myself/. My newly
      discovered love of Archery kept me going to the line, but the RR scoring
      helped me gauge my progress.

      Reasons I like Royal Rounds or don't understand this huge 'period'
      discussion:

      * I absolutely agree with HL Aleksei Zateev(to whom I can only say Huzzah!,
      as his shooting, leadership and teaching is truly amazing in my short tenure
      in the SCA), Robert the Doubtful and others who have suggested that the RR
      has a valued place as a teaching tool for new archers. I'm not saying that
      RRs are the reason I shoot, just that I would have found the variety of
      other shoots I've seen much more daunting and less helpful as an initial
      learning experience. While they were certainly interesting, they seem much
      more suitable for experienced archers seeking new ways to test their already
      amazing skills.

      * How are Royal Rounds not Period? Royals seem to bring a bit of
      organization and excitement to stock practice and encourage a variety of
      skills. I can't believe that medieval archers didn't practice from a
      variety of distances and test their speed skills. No, I have no
      documentable proof of this, but isn't it logical? If you have issues with
      the distances, suggest more 'period' alternatives. If the problem is the 60
      cm, 5 ring target, find and provide a standardizable 'period' alternative.
      If the problem is the speed round, how do you suggest we test archer speed?
      Royal Rounds seem to me to be a representation of a training tool that
      medieval archers /might/ have used. With that said, I do see them as a
      training tool and personal progress measurement, nothing more. Certainly
      tourneys and championships should include other sorts of shoots.

      * Different ranges, different potentials. I'm from suburban Seattle. We
      don't have lots of space for practice ranges. My Canton is lucky to have a
      member with a horse pasture. Many archers in my Barony practice with other
      baronies, or in indoor ranges! Royals(for practice, scored or not) might be
      possible at an indoor range, but not many of the alternate shoots I've heard
      discussed(Yorks for example).

      * Some contributors have called for separation of scores by bow type. In An
      Tir RR scores are separated into divisions, Crossbow, Longbow 1, Longbow 2,
      Open and Period based on the archer's equipment.

      * How does shooting Royals prevent archers from learning period techniques?
      When I started shooting, the idea that I leave both eyes open made no sense
      to me. I closed one eye, aimed using the other and it all made sense.
      After shooting for a couple of months, I left the both eyes open and my
      clustering and scores dramatically improved. I was shooting the dreaded
      Royal Round, but I had obtained a familiarity with shooting, and possibly
      more importantly, could see the difference because I was using a standard
      scoring!

      Lastly, I've seen lots of discussion about how RRs are evil and other shoots
      are better, but very little on what these other shoots are? If RRs are so
      bad, please provide a solution, not just a complaint!

      Tayla of Winds
    • KC
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 1999
        (big snip)
        Lastly, I've seen lots of discussion about how RRs are evil and other
        shoots
        are better, but very little on what these other shoots are? If RRs are so
        bad, please provide a solution, not just a complaint!

        Tayla of Winds

        I too would like to see discussions on different types of shoots. I feel
        that RR's have a definite function and are very useful, especially for
        beginners and general practice. I think that the evils are being generated
        by the use of them as a ranking system and there are good arguments on both
        sides of this discussion. I personally get tired of spot shooting (aiming
        at the yellow spot) and I am always looking for new, different, challenging
        and, if possible, moving things to shoot at.

        Karrick

      • Leonard & Patty Baldt
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 2, 1999
          Greetings:
          Thank you Tayla! Very well stated.
          An te' raudh, Shire of Vulkanfeldt
          An Tir

          Taylesedrin wrote:

> [...]
          > Open and Period based on the archer's equipment.
          >
          > * How does shooting Royals prevent archers from learning period techniques?
          > When I started shooting, the idea that I leave both eyes open made no sense
          > to me. I closed one eye, aimed using the other and it all made sense.
          > After shooting for a couple of months, I left the both eyes open and my
          > clustering and scores dramatically improved. I was shooting the dreaded
          > Royal Round, but I had obtained a familiarity with shooting, and possibly
          > more importantly, could see the difference because I was using a standard
          > scoring!
          >
          > Lastly, I've seen lots of discussion about how RRs are evil and other shoots
          > are better, but very little on what these other shoots are? If RRs are so
          > bad, please provide a solution, not just a complaint!

        • Jack Bradley
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 2, 1999
            Rlongbow@... wrote:

            > From: Rlongbow@...
            >
            > it seems most of the folk here replying are in the fairly high ranking
            > stage.
            > what most of you folks are missing is that period practice targets are
            > HARD.
            > a 12inch board at 100 yards? what newbie can hit that? how soon would that
            > newbie (if practices consisted of soley periond targets) say, "bag this, I'll
            > go fight instead."
            > the royal round is a standard that new archers can use to demonstrate
            > their increase in skill. don't you folk remember the look in a new archer's
            > eyes when they first hit even Marksman?
            > most of the lesser archers I have come in contact with WANT royal rounds.
            > many times at events I hear, "we gonna have RR's soon....we gonna have time
            > for RR's Sunday morning before breakdown?".
            > the very high rankings are nice to see get presented and are appreciated
            > for their effort but will most probably forever beyond the rank and file
            > archers - how many can afford a good period crossbow ? (or even a good
            > handbow) and how many LUD's haven't used a good crossbow in at least one of
            > the ranking shoots?

            Me and I believe Andras
            Ragnar Two Ax

            > what I have noticed in my years as a marshall, is that many times those
            > who complain that we spend too much time solely shooting RR's are the higher
            > ranks - most of us lower life forms are perfectly happy with RR's during
            > practice and would like those same RR's offered at events maybe after the
            > "neat" shoots are done.
            > Robert the Doubtful, East, bowman (until my scores expire)

          • Carl West at home
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 3, 1999
              > ...lots of discussion about how RRs are evil ...

              There are those that will argue that white sugar is _bad_ for you
              because it doesn't do as much _good_ for you as other foods. OK, but
              sometimes all I'm looking for is some calories.

              RRs are the white sugar of SCA archery. Yes, you get a lot of arrows
              shot and there's something learned every time you shoot an arrow, but
              that'll happen no matter what you shoot at. If you can vary your archery
              diet, you'll be a healthier archer. If you need some 'empty calories'
              every now and then, hey, shoot some RRs. You'll be shooting at least.
              But a good archer has a broad appetite and doesn't mind the occasional
              150yd lima bean. It's good for you, shoot! shoot!.

              Fritz
              --
              Carl West
              mailto:eisen@...

              Experience Real-Time Full-Motion Hi-res 3D with Surround Sound! Step Outside.
            • Karl Sandhoff
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 4, 1999
                We used a rover, the wand, shooting the prick, and a ono-on-one contest
                derived from the Gyldenholt Forester's Round which was in turn based on
                shooting the prick. I would like to add more variety in the future.
                Carolus von Eulenhorst

                On Mon, 01 Nov 1999 06:54:37 -0500 Ian Gourdon <agincort@...>
                writes:
                >From: Ian Gourdon <agincort@...>
                >
                >Carolus wrote:
                >> While running practice for another barony I attempted to move the
                >> practices towards more period styles. During this time I had six
                >new
                >> archers join the group. After several weeks of period practice all
                >were
                >> ready to quit SCA archery as they complained that they had not
                >scored a
                >> single point in practice and saw no improvement.
                >
                >Pray tell, exactly what shoots were you doing? I don't see emulating
                >the
                >Luttrel Psalter as much different from that so-called cursed 18th
                >century 5 ring target that has the RR haters so upset.
                >--
                >Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe, OP
                >- Companion of the order of the Greenwood Company
                >http://web.raex.com/~agincort
                >
                >--------------------------- ONElist Sponsor
                >----------------------------

                >Tired of filling out forms and remembering passwords? Gator fills in
                >forms and passwords with just one click! Comes with $50 in free
                >coupons!

              • Karl Sandhoff
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 4, 1999
                  I try to use period forms with ranges adjusted for the skill level of
                  most SCA archers. After all, for most of these shooters archery is only
                  one of many activities they are involved in. I saw the light in many a
                  novices eye when they outshot a Royal Bowmaster in some of the components
                  of the shoots I have been running. Using both period and RR forms works
                  to get and hold their interest and advance their skills. My big
                  objection is using RR's for the primary and high profile activities.
                  Carolus von Eulenhorst

                • Ian Gourdon
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 5, 1999
                    >We used a rover, the wand, shooting the prick, and a ono-on-one contest derived from >the Gyldenholt Forester's Round which was in turn based on shooting the prick. I would >like to add more variety in the future.
                    >Carolus von Eulenhorst

                    Aside from the wand, and I assume the rover is what we tend to call a
                    'woods walk', I'm not sure I follow what these shoot are. Care to expand
                    on what they all are for you? I'm pretty sure I've never shot a prick...
                    ;^)
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 7, 1999
                      I believe that the rover is a variant of the woods walk (if we both are
                      using the term to mean a walk thru the woods where an archer picks a mark
                      and then all try to hit it with the archer coming closest getting to pick
                      the next mark) some call it a "follow the leader shoot". Shooting the
                      prick is a more period term for what is sometimes called a "period
                      bullseye". It is a hit/miss shoot with the size of the bull set to
                      accomodate the skill level of the archers. As I had a large number of
                      relatively new archers I used a three point bull and a 1 point ring
                      surrounding it. While not truly period, it had the advantage of
                      maintaining interest and lessening frustration. We shot at progressively
                      longer distances based on the archers RR based ranking for the wand and
                      the prick. For the rover I set three random distances on each of the
                      three different distance bales and then allowed the archer setting the
                      mark to select a shooting position and bale thus yielding 27 different
                      possible shots. The total shoot took about 5 hours and was enjoyed by
                      all, or so I was told.
                      Carolus von Eulenhorst

                      On Fri, 05 Nov 1999 08:34:20 -0500 Ian Gourdon <agincort@...>
                      writes:
                      >From: Ian Gourdon <agincort@...>
                      >
                      >>We used a rover, the wand, shooting the prick, and a ono-on-one
                      >contest derived from >the Gyldenholt Forester's Round which was in
                      >turn based on shooting the prick. I would >like to add more variety
                      >in the future.
                      >>Carolus von Eulenhorst
                      >
                      >Aside from the wand, and I assume the rover is what we tend to call a
                      >'woods walk', I'm not sure I follow what these shoot are. Care to
                      >expand
                      >on what they all are for you? I'm pretty sure I've never shot a
                      >prick...
                      >;^)
                      >--
                      >Ian Gourdon of Glen Awe, OP
                      >- Companion of the order of the Greenwood Company
                      >http://web.raex.com/~agincort
                      >
                      >--------------------------- ONElist Sponsor
                      >----------------------------

                      >Tired of filling out forms and remembering passwords? Gator fills in
                      >forms and passwords with just one click! Comes with $50 in free
                      >coupons!

                    • Chris Nogy
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 8, 1999
                        > From: Karl Sandhoff <eulenhorst@...>

                        > We shot at progressively
                        > longer distances based on the archers RR based ranking for the wand and
                        > the prick.

                        So, besides using the RR to provide rank among archers, it is almost
                        exclusively used to determine champions for the major wars (a real problem for
                        those kingdoms that don't shoot RR) and now it is being used as the designator
                        to determine which range you can shoot at? Are our marshals working so hard to
                        artificially inflate the sense of accomplishment that we even declare for
                        somebody what ranges they shoot from so that they don't have a chance to fail?
                        I don't mean to be insulting here, but what is this, the Special Olympics?
                        (Yes, I know. I believe in the Special Olympics program as a way to reach a
                        very specific group of people with a very good message. But you don't see the
                        World Olympic Commission adopting those rules for the regular Olympic games,
                        because we expect the average person in this world to be capable of taking a
                        little furstration and living through it.)

                        I think (no, now I know) that there is just too much emphasis on the RR as the
                        be-all and end-all of archery (without those scores you can't be compared to
                        other archers, you can't be on a champions team, and you can't even move off
                        the toddler's range).

                        You know, I wonder if our new archers wouldn't get so discouraged if they
                        weren't forced to see the incredibly high numbers they have to attain to be
                        competitive? (You might say nobody forces people to see those scores, but that
                        is absolutely false if they are used for everything from champions team
                        placement to even moving to a more distant range - if becoming a marshal
                        includes reporting RR before you are warranted, and if practices are 60%+ RR,
                        how do you expect people to participate unless they are shooting RR (even if
                        they don't particularly want to)). I wonder if they were allowed to see only
                        their own improvement and to feel as good about it as they saw fit, would they
                        be more confident and more comfortable advancing at the best pace for them? If
                        their only competition was from those people they met face-to-face, and these
                        competitions were completed with the example of chivlary and honor, even when
                        it is a novice against a master, and there was always a good word and some
                        encouragement. If a win on the line acutally meant something big, instead of
                        being a second class accomplishment compared to the published RR or IKAC
                        numbers? I wonder if we would lose as many as we do now because of scores
                        frustration?

                        What is wrong with our archers that they can't take a little disappointment
                        without just going off and playing somewhere else. Why do we have to engineer
                        an artificial sense of accomplishment into our basic ranking competitions in
                        order to keep this group? Is not the love of the sport and the challenge of
                        building skill enough? Is not the comaraderie of the line and the real sense
                        of accomplishment of hitting your mark square, along with the chance to gain
                        knowlege of thousands of years, enough?

                        After all, if you hit the red, you have still missed the gold, and that is just
                        as much of a failure as missing a gold sized target with no rings around it. I
                        personally know that if I get something for failing pretty close, I am not as
                        inspired to get better as fast as if I get nothing except when I achieve the
                        objective in a task. Giving courtesy points to those who don't achieve the
                        objective makes the learning curve longer and doesn't promote the level of
                        sportsmanship (IMHO) that real regular successes promote.

                        I know that I have attained a reasonable level of skill, and a real love of the
                        sport that has kept me here through many trials and tribulations to the rank of
                        Laurel without ever shooting a RR and with only shooting a number of IKAC's
                        that I can count on one hand. Hey, I'm not much different than anyone else out
                        there - I don't have some super tenacity or some extraordinary devotion. Sure
                        I am disappointed when I miss, everybody is. But I get over it, and I get
                        better. After all, isn't that what we want to encourage people to do?

                        Kaz
                      • Lorenzo
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 8, 1999
                          Hi Kaz,

                          I've been reading your posts, and I confess that I continue not to understand what
                          exactly you are objecting to here. Are you objecting to the fact that the RR is in
                          fact a non-period intrusion to what should be historical re-enactment? If yes, then
                          the point is valid, but largely irrelevant due to the fact that we allow just about
                          all other non-period contraptions into our archery competitions anyway.

                          If you are objecting to the RR as a valid indicator of skill, then I will
                          disagree. I have been to a lot of events, and in my mind the RR score is a decent
                          indicator of skill. I have met a lot of archers in five different kingdoms now, and
                          in generic terms, the score reflects the level of skill I can expect. I am not
                          saying that there is a tremendous difference between 90 and 110 in terms of general
                          skills, but a good archer will get a good score. I have never seen this happen any
                          other way. Of course, we specialize. Practicing enough to get a very high RR
                          typically may mean neglecting short or varying range practice. Or, a speed demon
                          will get a lot of points in the speed round and not need to be as accurate on the
                          static rounds. However, the bottom line is that it has always been my experience
                          that the RR score is an excellent predictor of the overall skill level of the
                          archer.

                          I don't believe that the scores are artificially high, either. They are achievable
                          by anyone with decent equipment and the time and willingness to practice
                          consistently, and I believe that firmly. Anyone who gets discouraged because they
                          are not at the top right off the bat has a problem anyway, and they are most likely
                          not to advance regardless of the style of competition. Anyone who teaches beginners
                          or intermediate archers, and does not offer congratulations and encouragements for
                          ANY kind of progress is a lousy teacher, in my mind.

                          I would encourage you to be more relaxed about this. The fact that you are one of
                          the very few to achieve a Laurel for archery is a wonderful accomplishment, and I
                          believe you serve as encouragement and inspiration to others that it is well worth
                          to concentrate on the recration and re-enactment aspect of archery. However, the RR
                          can be both fun and effective, and I wouldn't just discount it.

                          Regards,
                          - Lorenzo

                        • Karl Sandhoff
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 8, 1999
                            My lord,
                            You may not intend to be insulting, but the tone of your post is. If I
                            had another way of differentiating rank for the archers, I would use it.
                            I have been shooting in the SCA since AS XI. When I started there was a
                            small group of archers with mundane Olympic style experiance. The
                            question wasn't which of these archers would walk away with the awards,
                            but only what order they would finish in. I watched archery in Caid
                            practically disappear due to this lack of competition. The RR was
                            brought in and the ranking system started. The newer and less
                            experienced archers were then competing with others of their skill level
                            and their sense of accomplishment and motivation to move up in ranking
                            improved their skills. Now we have an active and growing program with
                            archers becoming more skilled sooner and extending their learning to the
                            more period aspects. It is well known that the RR is not period and is
                            now shot in the minority of cases. In my last Cantonal championship I had
                            a tie finish between a RoyalBowmaster and a Bowman. I had as many
                            archers on the line as there were heavies in the lists. If I had relied
                            on the system in use prior to the RR ranking system, I would have had 3
                            or 4 archers and the winner could have been predicted before an arrow had
                            been shot. While we use the RR as a cmoponent of a complete system, it
                            is not the entire system nor is it the primary emphasis in that system.
                            You might note the lack of IKAC scores submitted by Caid. If we develop
                            a replacement system for evaluating and ranking archers I will welcome
                            it. It must be easy to administer, easy to learn, quick to setup and
                            break down, and able to be shot on a limited facility. Here in Southern
                            California we are losing are public archery ranges due to the threat of
                            lawsuit arising from the possibliity of an injury at the hands of one of
                            these "deadly weapons". Many cities and now prohibiting the possession
                            of crossbows as a result of just one incident or the threat of a possible
                            incident which has not occured. Archery is under pressure here. We need
                            to do all we can to expand this sport and maintain its good image. If
                            the SCA can do this, so much the better. If we persist in this
                            infighting we will lose it all.

                            To another point. We all know that stainless steel, aluminum, and
                            plastic were not used for period armor and yet we allow it. We know that
                            sewing machines did not exist but we make our garb with them. Gas
                            stoves, temperature controlled ovens, and refrigeration were not
                            available yet we make use of these in preparing and transporting food for
                            our events. We know the difference in all of this and more. we still
                            manage to learn about what the reality of the period was and have peers
                            made based on this knowledge. We can just as easily use modern styles
                            and components in archery and yet learn about the period reality. Many
                            of our archers are dilletants (sp?) and are involved in many other
                            activities as well. If this gives them some feel of archery, so much the
                            better. I get the impression that many of the people complaining are
                            archers to the exclusion of all else. So much the better for them. I've
                            watched the participation in this kingdom drop over the last five years
                            due to infighting such as this in many other activities. We now have
                            fewer that 1/2 the people playing than we had five years ago and are
                            steadily losing our veteran members to have them replaced by newcomers
                            with no knowledge of the reality of history. Enough of the "One True
                            Way" arguments already. Its counterproductive. I'm tired of watching
                            people get insulted on this list because they expressed an opinion. If
                            we can't start from where we are now and continue to get better without
                            knocking each other down, we will all lose.

                            I learn a great deal about historic archery on this list and am able to
                            pass much of this along to other archers. If I am forced to wade through
                            much more of this innuendo and backbiting I will have to leave and lose a
                            terrific resource which had led to much enrichment of periodness here. I
                            have seen many others leave this list and I suspect it is for similar
                            reasons. This will be a great loss and, I suspect, will lead to the
                            further development of inaccurate practices.
                            In service to the dream,
                            Carolus von Eulenhorst

                          • brett l wilson
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 8, 1999
                              Lorenzo,

                              I believe that Master Kaz was given his Laurel for crossbow construction
                              and reserch in archery. I thought that by the way he stated how he got
                              his Laurel,some people on the list might have misinterpreted this.

                              LoCM

                              . The fact that you are one of the very few to achieve a Laurel for
                              archery is a wonderful
                              >accomplishment, and I
                              >believe you serve as encouragement and inspiration to others that it
                              >is well worth
                              >to concentrate on the recration and re-enactment aspect of archery.

                            • Bob & Nancy Upson
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 8, 1999
                                > So, besides using the RR to provide rank among archers, it is almost
                                > exclusively used to determine champions for the major wars (a real problem for

                                FWIW, Pennsic, at least, seems to have avoided this problem.

                                Macsen
                              • Chris Nogy
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 8, 1999
                                  Please, for all those who might be confused, I do not mean to mislead. I
                                  believe that I have stated this fact in dozens of other posts as my
                                  crediential, especially when folks have asked for them.

                                  The Laurel, as given on the scroll and as stated many times on this list, is
                                  for the 'research, construction, and use' of period archery equipment. It was
                                  meant to be an indication that the Crown and the order wanted to recognize a
                                  well-rounded individual that promoted all the aspects of period archery.

                                  So no, I am not specifically a shooting Laurel. Calontir has only one of those
                                  (made for the 'Performance Art of Archery', if I recall the ceremony
                                  correctly), and I always acknowlege his shooting ability as better than mine,
                                  because it is. That is Master Lief of Crescent Moon - LoCM.

                                  Kaz

                                  Or at least that is what they told me.

                                • jotl@xxxxxxxxxx.xx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 8, 1999
                                    At 6:35 PM 11/8/99 -0500, Bob & Nancy Upson wrote:
                                    >From: "Bob & Nancy Upson" <wyvern@...>
                                    >
                                    >> So, besides using the RR to provide rank among archers, it is almost
                                    >> exclusively used to determine champions for the major wars (a real problem
                                    >>for
                                    >
                                    >FWIW, Pennsic, at least, seems to have avoided this problem.
                                    >
                                    >Macsen

                                    And at Estrella, the archers simply shoot a qualifying round. So one need
                                    not have a prior RR average. This is for the "Knowne World Archery
                                    Championship"; the war point is based on a series of novelty shoots.

                                    (If one does not want to shoot the Knowne World shoot, then don't. Shoot
                                    the many other rounds instead.)

                                    James
                                    jotl@...
                                  • Hugh Prescott
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 9, 1999
                                      In a message Dateed: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 18:35:17 -0500
                                      Macsen replied

                                      > So, besides using the RR to provide rank among archers, it is almost
                                      > exclusively used to determine champions for the major wars (a real problem for

                                      FWIW, Pennsic, at least, seems to have avoided this problem.

                                      Macsen

                                      Sorry to say that at the last Pennsic the first thing Lynette and I were asked was "What are your RR scores"? This was for the Archery Champions shoot on Wednesday.

                                      Not suprising since the Middle relies on the Royal Round scores a great deal.

                                      Archers that did not have RR scores had to qualify Tuesday evening.

                                      Hugh Prescott
                                      Calontir Archer Huscarl
                                    • Bob & Nancy Upson
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 9, 1999
                                        > Championship"; the war point is based on a series of novelty shoots.

                                        There's that term again...

                                        For concensus, what does the rest of the world consider a "novelty
                                        shoot" to be? Secondly, what are the actual war point shoots at
                                        Estrella?

                                        Macsen
                                      • Bob & Nancy Upson
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 9, 1999
                                          > Sorry to say that at the last Pennsic the first thing Lynette
                                          > and I were asked was "What are your RR scores"? This was for
                                          > the Archery Champions shoot on Wednesday.
                                          >
                                          > Not suprising since the Middle relies on the Royal Round scores a great deal.

                                          *sigh* I *knew* that there were good reasons why I don't lose too
                                          much sleep over losing Midrealm Wars... The Mid's War
                                          philosophy and mine just tend not to gell. =(

                                          The day the East asks that question at War is the day I drop out of
                                          SCA Archery altogether.

                                          Macsen
                                        • psobaka@xxxx.xxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Nov 9, 1999

                                            >For concensus, what does the rest of the world consider a "novelty
                                            >shoot" to be? Secondly, what are the actual war point shoots at
                                            >Estrella?
                                            >
                                            >Macsen

                                            I would call a Willam Tell, an archer duel where you shoot at silhouettes
                                            (you can kill yourself), smallest group novelty shoots.
                                            Plachoya Sobaka a humble archer in Ravens Fort, Kingdom of Ansteorra
                                            Southern Reagional Archery Marshal
                                          • D Humberson
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Nov 9, 1999
                                              >There's that term again...
                                              >
                                              >For concensus, what does the rest of the world consider a "novelty
                                              >shoot" to be? Secondly, what are the actual war point shoots at
                                              >Estrella?
                                              >
                                              >Macsen

                                              As used out here in the wilds of Aethelmearc, it generally means anything
                                              other than Royal Rounds, although some folks make a distinction between
                                              roving ranges and novelty shoots, where the latter are open field shoots at
                                              unknown distances.

                                              Ragnar Ketilsson
                                            • Bob & Nancy Upson
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Nov 18, 1999
                                                > What criteria does the East Kingdom use in selecting it's champions and
                                                > allies?

                                                The selection process starts by observing the phase of the moon
                                                and then proceeds to goat entrails... ;)

                                                There's no set process that I'm aware of -- it seems to vary from
                                                season to season. Some pretty stable factors include things like:
                                                making the final cut in K&Q's Champion's Tourney (a Sure
                                                Thing(tm), being among the usual suspects (i.e. the established
                                                bow-god elite), and/or having made a good showing and being seen
                                                doing it over the course of the season in general. FWIW, I've
                                                people who happened to be ranked as Master Bowmen to be
                                                picked over Grand Masters on occasion simply because people
                                                know that RRs don't necessarily select all that well for tourney
                                                competitors.

                                                I'd make an educated guess that the Captain-General probably
                                                knows who at *least* two thirds of the team will be well before War
                                                with the balance being selected by watching to see who is "in the
                                                zone" that week.

                                                Of course, depending on who's on the throne, there are
                                                occasionally political appointments of archers who may or may not
                                                be of the highest caliber...*grumble* (Yes, this is a personal
                                                peeve. The first year I was *almost* on the team my spot was filled
                                                by an out-kingdom baroness who couldn't hit the broad side of a
                                                barn...) Exclusionary rules also come and go like one year's, "If
                                                you don't shoot at K&Q's, you can't be on the team."

                                                In short, it's a crap shoot, but it seems to work pretty well. =)

                                                Macsen
                                              • Gary Hecathorn
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Nov 19, 1999
                                                  >> and I were asked was "What are your RR scores"? This was for
                                                  >> the Archery Champions shoot on Wednesday.
                                                  >The day the East asks that question at War is the day I drop out of
                                                  >SCA Archery altogether.
                                                  >
                                                  >Macsen

                                                  What criteria does the East Kingdom use in selecting it's champions and
                                                  allies?

                                                  Gareth Thorne