Re: [SCA-Archery] I shot my first bow.....

  • cwilson@mhmh.org
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
      Nest signed off with, "Envisioning a bow store with every type I've ever
      wanted to try, in my weight, and them actually letting me try them."

      Now that is the trick. If you made your own bows, you could theoretically
      do this. Maybe if you won the lottery you could create such warehouse.

      -Caedmon
    • Carolus Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
        I have found that many people selling second hand bows often know nothing
        about archery and got the bows through a bulk estate purchase or the
        like. They tend to be well meaning and honest people who will disclose
        flaws if they know them but know so little about archery tackle that they
        list questionable items as perfect. This applies to all forms of sales,
        not just ebay. Check the seller's other auctions on ebay and see if he
        deals in a number of archery items, email him with questions, and ask
        questions about the make and model of bow here and at you local dealers.
        You should get a good idea if it is worth bidding on then.

        In service to the dream
        Carolus von Eulenhorst
        eulenhorst@...

        On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 08:06:25 -0700 (PDT) Nest verch Tangwistel
        <eastarch@...> writes:
        > I have purchased bows from ebay with mixed results. Both were
        > advertised
        > as brand new, and they were. One was not as heavy in the draw as I
        > had
        > been expecting though. I now use it as loaner equipment for
        > beginners
        > since it is only about 20 pounds.
        > Like in everything you have to be very careful purchasing bows from
        > ebay.
        > It is impossible to see stress fractures and separating laminates in
        > the
        > posted pictures. At least hopefully no one is selling a bow with
        > problem
        > bad enough to see in the pictures. Someone starting out may not be
        > able to
        > recognize these problems even up close. I would be tempted to tell
        > beginner to order a new bow off one of the known archery equipment
        > vendors
        > on the web if they couldn't get one locally. It may be somewhat
        > more
        > expensive, but ultimately safer to start. At least try to avoid
        > older bows
        > on ebay, and if you can't tell because they don't say, avoid them.
        >
        > Nest

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
      • fortunata_trb
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 6, 2002
          I was hoping that in a town that wasn't too far from me the pawn shop
          would have some bows but they stopped buying and selling archery
          equipment.
          Fortunata

          --- In SCA-Archery@y..., L Baker <mac_lochloinn@y...> wrote:
          > Don't know about your area but here in Souther
          > California you can quite often find Recurves and even
          > low end long bows at Thrift Shops. I have found three
          > in the past few months :)
          >
          > YIS and in good Humor Fearghus

        • fortunata_trb
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 6, 2002
            Thank you for your advise and the information.

            Fortunata