Re: [SCA-Archery] I shot my first bow.....

  • Nest verch Tangwistel
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 5 11:55 AM
      You know, now that I think about it. I have hardly ever been able to look
      at a bow before buying it. From my sons Olympic recurve..to my husbands
      compound..to my English Longbows. I have always gotten everything from
      mail order. While my husbands was a big name brand, my sons was a little
      unusual and mine were a real shot in the dark. I remember when I got my
      second bow wishing there was some way I could compare lots of types of
      bows before buying. Unfortunately there isn't. Shops don't keep that kind
      of inventory, and they wouldn't have it in my weight anyway. The shops
      around here seem to specialize in one kind of equipment anyway. Usually
      just a couple of traditionals bows in the back corner. Relying on word of
      mouth is a start, but you notice half the time someone on this list asks
      about a specific brand, no one has tried it. There are just too many types
      out there. Oh well.

      Nest
      Envisioning a bow store with every type I've ever wanted to try, in my
      weight, and them actually letting me try them.

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • cwilson@mhmh.org
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 5 12:07 PM
        Nest signed off with, "Envisioning a bow store with every type I've ever
        wanted to try, in my weight, and them actually letting me try them."

        Now that is the trick. If you made your own bows, you could theoretically
        do this. Maybe if you won the lottery you could create such warehouse.

        -Caedmon
      • Carolus Eulenhorst
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 5 8:36 PM
          I have found that many people selling second hand bows often know nothing
          about archery and got the bows through a bulk estate purchase or the
          like. They tend to be well meaning and honest people who will disclose
          flaws if they know them but know so little about archery tackle that they
          list questionable items as perfect. This applies to all forms of sales,
          not just ebay. Check the seller's other auctions on ebay and see if he
          deals in a number of archery items, email him with questions, and ask
          questions about the make and model of bow here and at you local dealers.
          You should get a good idea if it is worth bidding on then.

          In service to the dream
          Carolus von Eulenhorst
          eulenhorst@...

          On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 08:06:25 -0700 (PDT) Nest verch Tangwistel
          <eastarch@...> writes:
          > I have purchased bows from ebay with mixed results. Both were
          > advertised
          > as brand new, and they were. One was not as heavy in the draw as I
          > had
          > been expecting though. I now use it as loaner equipment for
          > beginners
          > since it is only about 20 pounds.
          > Like in everything you have to be very careful purchasing bows from
          > ebay.
          > It is impossible to see stress fractures and separating laminates in
          > the
          > posted pictures. At least hopefully no one is selling a bow with
          > problem
          > bad enough to see in the pictures. Someone starting out may not be
          > able to
          > recognize these problems even up close. I would be tempted to tell
          > beginner to order a new bow off one of the known archery equipment
          > vendors
          > on the web if they couldn't get one locally. It may be somewhat
          > more
          > expensive, but ultimately safer to start. At least try to avoid
          > older bows
          > on ebay, and if you can't tell because they don't say, avoid them.
          >
          > Nest

          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
        • fortunata_trb
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 6 8:52 AM
            I was hoping that in a town that wasn't too far from me the pawn shop
            would have some bows but they stopped buying and selling archery
            equipment.
            Fortunata

            --- In SCA-Archery@y..., L Baker <mac_lochloinn@y...> wrote:
            > Don't know about your area but here in Souther
            > California you can quite often find Recurves and even
            > low end long bows at Thrift Shops. I have found three
            > in the past few months :)
            >
            > YIS and in good Humor Fearghus

          • fortunata_trb
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 6 8:53 AM
              Thank you for your advise and the information.

              Fortunata