Re: [SCA-Archery] I shot my first bow.....

  • Nest verch Tangwistel
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
      How right you are. The light weight bow only cost about $60. the other
      which was a great deal was more like $265, and came from a bowyer from
      which I had already purchased a full price bow at around $500. However,
      those deals are few and far between.

      Nest

      Though a great story is the good gentle at Pennsic which won the 52" bow
      which had been put up as a prize in one of the fun shoots. It was a lovely
      bow, brand new, which sells for somewhere in the $800's. Then minutes
      later when they had the raffle drawing for the brand new Black Widow bow
      made to your specifications, he won that too. Boy, talk about having a
      really great day. As great deals go you can't get much better than that.

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
        You know, now that I think about it. I have hardly ever been able to look
        at a bow before buying it. From my sons Olympic recurve..to my husbands
        compound..to my English Longbows. I have always gotten everything from
        mail order. While my husbands was a big name brand, my sons was a little
        unusual and mine were a real shot in the dark. I remember when I got my
        second bow wishing there was some way I could compare lots of types of
        bows before buying. Unfortunately there isn't. Shops don't keep that kind
        of inventory, and they wouldn't have it in my weight anyway. The shops
        around here seem to specialize in one kind of equipment anyway. Usually
        just a couple of traditionals bows in the back corner. Relying on word of
        mouth is a start, but you notice half the time someone on this list asks
        about a specific brand, no one has tried it. There are just too many types
        out there. Oh well.

        Nest
        Envisioning a bow store with every type I've ever wanted to try, in my
        weight, and them actually letting me try them.

      • cwilson@mhmh.org
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
          Nest signed off with, "Envisioning a bow store with every type I've ever
          wanted to try, in my weight, and them actually letting me try them."

          Now that is the trick. If you made your own bows, you could theoretically
          do this. Maybe if you won the lottery you could create such warehouse.

          -Caedmon
        • Carolus Eulenhorst
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
            I have found that many people selling second hand bows often know nothing
            about archery and got the bows through a bulk estate purchase or the
            like. They tend to be well meaning and honest people who will disclose
            flaws if they know them but know so little about archery tackle that they
            list questionable items as perfect. This applies to all forms of sales,
            not just ebay. Check the seller's other auctions on ebay and see if he
            deals in a number of archery items, email him with questions, and ask
            questions about the make and model of bow here and at you local dealers.
            You should get a good idea if it is worth bidding on then.

            In service to the dream
            Carolus von Eulenhorst
            eulenhorst@...

            On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 08:06:25 -0700 (PDT) Nest verch Tangwistel
            <eastarch@...> writes:
            > I have purchased bows from ebay with mixed results. Both were
            > advertised
            > as brand new, and they were. One was not as heavy in the draw as I
            > had
            > been expecting though. I now use it as loaner equipment for
            > beginners
            > since it is only about 20 pounds.
            > Like in everything you have to be very careful purchasing bows from
            > ebay.
            > It is impossible to see stress fractures and separating laminates in
            > the
            > posted pictures. At least hopefully no one is selling a bow with
            > problem
            > bad enough to see in the pictures. Someone starting out may not be
            > able to
            > recognize these problems even up close. I would be tempted to tell
            > beginner to order a new bow off one of the known archery equipment
            > vendors
            > on the web if they couldn't get one locally. It may be somewhat
            > more
            > expensive, but ultimately safer to start. At least try to avoid
            > older bows
            > on ebay, and if you can't tell because they don't say, avoid them.
            >
            > Nest

            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
          • fortunata_trb
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 6, 2002
              I was hoping that in a town that wasn't too far from me the pawn shop
              would have some bows but they stopped buying and selling archery
              equipment.
              Fortunata

              --- In SCA-Archery@y..., L Baker <mac_lochloinn@y...> wrote:
              > Don't know about your area but here in Souther
              > California you can quite often find Recurves and even
              > low end long bows at Thrift Shops. I have found three
              > in the past few months :)
              >
              > YIS and in good Humor Fearghus

            • fortunata_trb
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 6, 2002
                Thank you for your advise and the information.

                Fortunata