Re: [SCA-Archery] I shot my first bow.....

  • cwilson@mhmh.org
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
      James Brummet wrote, "Would you buy a bow that you hadn't held first?
      Granted I buy a lot of stuff on Ebay but I am not sure I woulds buy a bow
      from there."

      I have. From woodbows.com. I ordered it over the internet, giving the
      specs of what I desired and everything was handled sight unseen. The bow
      is working very well for me and is about to get the trial of it's life on
      September 14th when I will be shooting 1,000 arrows to raise money for the
      midrealm chirurgeons.

      -Caedmon
    • Nest verch Tangwistel
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
        How right you are. The light weight bow only cost about $60. the other
        which was a great deal was more like $265, and came from a bowyer from
        which I had already purchased a full price bow at around $500. However,
        those deals are few and far between.

        Nest

        Though a great story is the good gentle at Pennsic which won the 52" bow
        which had been put up as a prize in one of the fun shoots. It was a lovely
        bow, brand new, which sells for somewhere in the $800's. Then minutes
        later when they had the raffle drawing for the brand new Black Widow bow
        made to your specifications, he won that too. Boy, talk about having a
        really great day. As great deals go you can't get much better than that.

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
          You know, now that I think about it. I have hardly ever been able to look
          at a bow before buying it. From my sons Olympic recurve..to my husbands
          compound..to my English Longbows. I have always gotten everything from
          mail order. While my husbands was a big name brand, my sons was a little
          unusual and mine were a real shot in the dark. I remember when I got my
          second bow wishing there was some way I could compare lots of types of
          bows before buying. Unfortunately there isn't. Shops don't keep that kind
          of inventory, and they wouldn't have it in my weight anyway. The shops
          around here seem to specialize in one kind of equipment anyway. Usually
          just a couple of traditionals bows in the back corner. Relying on word of
          mouth is a start, but you notice half the time someone on this list asks
          about a specific brand, no one has tried it. There are just too many types
          out there. Oh well.

          Nest
          Envisioning a bow store with every type I've ever wanted to try, in my
          weight, and them actually letting me try them.

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
            Nest signed off with, "Envisioning a bow store with every type I've ever
            wanted to try, in my weight, and them actually letting me try them."

            Now that is the trick. If you made your own bows, you could theoretically
            do this. Maybe if you won the lottery you could create such warehouse.

            -Caedmon
          • Carolus Eulenhorst
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
              I have found that many people selling second hand bows often know nothing
              about archery and got the bows through a bulk estate purchase or the
              like. They tend to be well meaning and honest people who will disclose
              flaws if they know them but know so little about archery tackle that they
              list questionable items as perfect. This applies to all forms of sales,
              not just ebay. Check the seller's other auctions on ebay and see if he
              deals in a number of archery items, email him with questions, and ask
              questions about the make and model of bow here and at you local dealers.
              You should get a good idea if it is worth bidding on then.

              In service to the dream
              Carolus von Eulenhorst
              eulenhorst@...

              On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 08:06:25 -0700 (PDT) Nest verch Tangwistel
              <eastarch@...> writes:
              > I have purchased bows from ebay with mixed results. Both were
              > advertised
              > as brand new, and they were. One was not as heavy in the draw as I
              > had
              > been expecting though. I now use it as loaner equipment for
              > beginners
              > since it is only about 20 pounds.
              > Like in everything you have to be very careful purchasing bows from
              > ebay.
              > It is impossible to see stress fractures and separating laminates in
              > the
              > posted pictures. At least hopefully no one is selling a bow with
              > problem
              > bad enough to see in the pictures. Someone starting out may not be
              > able to
              > recognize these problems even up close. I would be tempted to tell
              > beginner to order a new bow off one of the known archery equipment
              > vendors
              > on the web if they couldn't get one locally. It may be somewhat
              > more
              > expensive, but ultimately safer to start. At least try to avoid
              > older bows
              > on ebay, and if you can't tell because they don't say, avoid them.
              >
              > Nest

              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
            • fortunata_trb
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 6, 2002
                I was hoping that in a town that wasn't too far from me the pawn shop
                would have some bows but they stopped buying and selling archery
                equipment.
                Fortunata

                --- In SCA-Archery@y..., L Baker <mac_lochloinn@y...> wrote:
                > Don't know about your area but here in Souther
                > California you can quite often find Recurves and even
                > low end long bows at Thrift Shops. I have found three
                > in the past few months :)
                >
                > YIS and in good Humor Fearghus

              • fortunata_trb
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 6, 2002
                  Thank you for your advise and the information.

                  Fortunata