Re: [SCA-Archery] I shot my first bow.....

  • cwilson@mhmh.org
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
      James Brummet wrote, "Would you buy a bow that you hadn't held first?
      Granted I buy a lot of stuff on Ebay but I am not sure I woulds buy a bow
      from there."

      I have. From woodbows.com. I ordered it over the internet, giving the
      specs of what I desired and everything was handled sight unseen. The bow
      is working very well for me and is about to get the trial of it's life on
      September 14th when I will be shooting 1,000 arrows to raise money for the
      midrealm chirurgeons.

      -Caedmon
    • L Baker
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
        Don't know about your area but here in Souther
        California you can quite often find Recurves and even
        low end long bows at Thrift Shops. I have found three
        in the past few months :)

        YIS and in good Humor Fearghus

        --- fortunata_trb <fortunata_trb@...> wrote:
        > Whether I buy the bow from Ebay or order it from a
        > guy that sells
        > archery equipment I will still have to get a bow
        > that is sight
        > unseen, and unheld, both will have to be shipped.
        > You have to admit
        > longbows and recurves aren't as popular for the area
        > I live in as it
        > would be for other areas of the USA. I checked

        =====
        Beannachd nas Soilleir ort, agus air gach duine.
        (Brightest of Blessings to you and all you hold dear.)

        http://finance.yahoo.com
      • Nest verch Tangwistel
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
          I have purchased bows from ebay with mixed results. Both were advertised
          as brand new, and they were. One was not as heavy in the draw as I had
          been expecting though. I now use it as loaner equipment for beginners
          since it is only about 20 pounds.
          Like in everything you have to be very careful purchasing bows from ebay.
          It is impossible to see stress fractures and separating laminates in the
          posted pictures. At least hopefully no one is selling a bow with problem
          bad enough to see in the pictures. Someone starting out may not be able to
          recognize these problems even up close. I would be tempted to tell a
          beginner to order a new bow off one of the known archery equipment vendors
          on the web if they couldn't get one locally. It may be somewhat more
          expensive, but ultimately safer to start. At least try to avoid older bows
          on ebay, and if you can't tell because they don't say, avoid them.

          Nest
          --- James Brummet <brummejr@...> wrote:
          > WOuld you buy a bow that you hadn't held first? Granted I buy a lot of
          > stuff on Ebay but I am not sure I woulds buy a bow from there.

          http://finance.yahoo.com
        • James Brummet
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
            I must admit I might have been lucky but I bought my bow from my archery captain back in An-Tir. It was the one I had "borrowed" for practist and one weeek I asked if I could buy it. Its a great 30 # that I got for 250. I have just heard so many stories about buying bows only to have the crack or split the first time they where shot.

            >>> fortunata_trb@... 09/05/02 08:56AM >>>
            Whether I buy the bow from Ebay or order it from a guy that sells
            archery equipment I will still have to get a bow that is sight
            unseen, and unheld, both will have to be shipped. You have to admit
            longbows and recurves aren't as popular for the area I live in as it
            would be for other areas of the USA. I checked several places in
            Wichita and all they had were compounds.

            Fortunata

          • James Brummet
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
              Lets also not forget you get what you pay for. Grant none of us have money to spare but I would just borrow a bow from someone and save up for a "good" bow. At least that is what I did. Ask your local captain where he got his bow or if he has one that he is willing to sale.

              >>> eastarch@... 09/05/02 09:06AM >>>

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                How right you are. The light weight bow only cost about $60. the other
                which was a great deal was more like $265, and came from a bowyer from
                which I had already purchased a full price bow at around $500. However,
                those deals are few and far between.

                Nest

                Though a great story is the good gentle at Pennsic which won the 52" bow
                which had been put up as a prize in one of the fun shoots. It was a lovely
                bow, brand new, which sells for somewhere in the $800's. Then minutes
                later when they had the raffle drawing for the brand new Black Widow bow
                made to your specifications, he won that too. Boy, talk about having a
                really great day. As great deals go you can't get much better than that.

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                  You know, now that I think about it. I have hardly ever been able to look
                  at a bow before buying it. From my sons Olympic recurve..to my husbands
                  compound..to my English Longbows. I have always gotten everything from
                  mail order. While my husbands was a big name brand, my sons was a little
                  unusual and mine were a real shot in the dark. I remember when I got my
                  second bow wishing there was some way I could compare lots of types of
                  bows before buying. Unfortunately there isn't. Shops don't keep that kind
                  of inventory, and they wouldn't have it in my weight anyway. The shops
                  around here seem to specialize in one kind of equipment anyway. Usually
                  just a couple of traditionals bows in the back corner. Relying on word of
                  mouth is a start, but you notice half the time someone on this list asks
                  about a specific brand, no one has tried it. There are just too many types
                  out there. Oh well.

                  Nest
                  Envisioning a bow store with every type I've ever wanted to try, in my
                  weight, and them actually letting me try them.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                    Nest signed off with, "Envisioning a bow store with every type I've ever
                    wanted to try, in my weight, and them actually letting me try them."

                    Now that is the trick. If you made your own bows, you could theoretically
                    do this. Maybe if you won the lottery you could create such warehouse.

                    -Caedmon
                  • Carolus Eulenhorst
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                      I have found that many people selling second hand bows often know nothing
                      about archery and got the bows through a bulk estate purchase or the
                      like. They tend to be well meaning and honest people who will disclose
                      flaws if they know them but know so little about archery tackle that they
                      list questionable items as perfect. This applies to all forms of sales,
                      not just ebay. Check the seller's other auctions on ebay and see if he
                      deals in a number of archery items, email him with questions, and ask
                      questions about the make and model of bow here and at you local dealers.
                      You should get a good idea if it is worth bidding on then.

                      In service to the dream
                      Carolus von Eulenhorst
                      eulenhorst@...

                      On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 08:06:25 -0700 (PDT) Nest verch Tangwistel
                      <eastarch@...> writes:
                      > I have purchased bows from ebay with mixed results. Both were
                      > advertised
                      > as brand new, and they were. One was not as heavy in the draw as I
                      > had
                      > been expecting though. I now use it as loaner equipment for
                      > beginners
                      > since it is only about 20 pounds.
                      > Like in everything you have to be very careful purchasing bows from
                      > ebay.
                      > It is impossible to see stress fractures and separating laminates in
                      > the
                      > posted pictures. At least hopefully no one is selling a bow with
                      > problem
                      > bad enough to see in the pictures. Someone starting out may not be
                      > able to
                      > recognize these problems even up close. I would be tempted to tell
                      > beginner to order a new bow off one of the known archery equipment
                      > vendors
                      > on the web if they couldn't get one locally. It may be somewhat
                      > more
                      > expensive, but ultimately safer to start. At least try to avoid
                      > older bows
                      > on ebay, and if you can't tell because they don't say, avoid them.
                      >
                      > Nest

                      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                    • fortunata_trb
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 6, 2002
                        I was hoping that in a town that wasn't too far from me the pawn shop
                        would have some bows but they stopped buying and selling archery
                        equipment.
                        Fortunata

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 6, 2002
                          Thank you for your advise and the information.

                          Fortunata