Re: [SCA-Archery] I shot my first bow.....

  • cwilson@mhmh.org
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
      James Brummet wrote, "Would you buy a bow that you hadn't held first?
      Granted I buy a lot of stuff on Ebay but I am not sure I woulds buy a bow
      from there."

      I have. From woodbows.com. I ordered it over the internet, giving the
      specs of what I desired and everything was handled sight unseen. The bow
      is working very well for me and is about to get the trial of it's life on
      September 14th when I will be shooting 1,000 arrows to raise money for the
      midrealm chirurgeons.

      -Caedmon
    • fortunata_trb
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
        You are more than welcome to adopt my goal of trying to learn
        something new at every event I go to. I have been to two events since
        my return to the SCA and learned something new at each one. My idea
        comes from the saying that you should try to learn something new
        everyday, although I don't always accomplish that.

        Fortunata
      • fortunata_trb
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
          Thank you very much Micheal, I will look when I get a chance, yes I
          have my own computer that I share with my family.

          Fortunata
        • fortunata_trb
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
            Whether I buy the bow from Ebay or order it from a guy that sells
            archery equipment I will still have to get a bow that is sight
            unseen, and unheld, both will have to be shipped. You have to admit
            longbows and recurves aren't as popular for the area I live in as it
            would be for other areas of the USA. I checked several places in
            Wichita and all they had were compounds.

            Fortunata
          • L Baker
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
              Don't know about your area but here in Souther
              California you can quite often find Recurves and even
              low end long bows at Thrift Shops. I have found three
              in the past few months :)

              YIS and in good Humor Fearghus

              --- fortunata_trb <fortunata_trb@...> wrote:
              > Whether I buy the bow from Ebay or order it from a
              > guy that sells
              > archery equipment I will still have to get a bow
              > that is sight
              > unseen, and unheld, both will have to be shipped.
              > You have to admit
              > longbows and recurves aren't as popular for the area
              > I live in as it
              > would be for other areas of the USA. I checked

              =====
              Beannachd nas Soilleir ort, agus air gach duine.
              (Brightest of Blessings to you and all you hold dear.)

              http://finance.yahoo.com
            • Nest verch Tangwistel
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                I have purchased bows from ebay with mixed results. Both were advertised
                as brand new, and they were. One was not as heavy in the draw as I had
                been expecting though. I now use it as loaner equipment for beginners
                since it is only about 20 pounds.
                Like in everything you have to be very careful purchasing bows from ebay.
                It is impossible to see stress fractures and separating laminates in the
                posted pictures. At least hopefully no one is selling a bow with problem
                bad enough to see in the pictures. Someone starting out may not be able to
                recognize these problems even up close. I would be tempted to tell a
                beginner to order a new bow off one of the known archery equipment vendors
                on the web if they couldn't get one locally. It may be somewhat more
                expensive, but ultimately safer to start. At least try to avoid older bows
                on ebay, and if you can't tell because they don't say, avoid them.

                Nest
                --- James Brummet <brummejr@...> wrote:
                > WOuld you buy a bow that you hadn't held first? Granted I buy a lot of
                > stuff on Ebay but I am not sure I woulds buy a bow from there.

                http://finance.yahoo.com
              • James Brummet

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                    Lets also not forget you get what you pay for. Grant none of us have money to spare but I would just borrow a bow from someone and save up for a "good" bow. At least that is what I did. Ask your local captain where he got his bow or if he has one that he is willing to sale.

                    >>> eastarch@... 09/05/02 09:06AM >>>

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                      How right you are. The light weight bow only cost about $60. the other
                      which was a great deal was more like $265, and came from a bowyer from
                      which I had already purchased a full price bow at around $500. However,
                      those deals are few and far between.

                      Nest

                      Though a great story is the good gentle at Pennsic which won the 52" bow
                      which had been put up as a prize in one of the fun shoots. It was a lovely
                      bow, brand new, which sells for somewhere in the $800's. Then minutes
                      later when they had the raffle drawing for the brand new Black Widow bow
                      made to your specifications, he won that too. Boy, talk about having a
                      really great day. As great deals go you can't get much better than that.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                        You know, now that I think about it. I have hardly ever been able to look
                        at a bow before buying it. From my sons Olympic recurve..to my husbands
                        compound..to my English Longbows. I have always gotten everything from
                        mail order. While my husbands was a big name brand, my sons was a little
                        unusual and mine were a real shot in the dark. I remember when I got my
                        second bow wishing there was some way I could compare lots of types of
                        bows before buying. Unfortunately there isn't. Shops don't keep that kind
                        of inventory, and they wouldn't have it in my weight anyway. The shops
                        around here seem to specialize in one kind of equipment anyway. Usually
                        just a couple of traditionals bows in the back corner. Relying on word of
                        mouth is a start, but you notice half the time someone on this list asks
                        about a specific brand, no one has tried it. There are just too many types
                        out there. Oh well.

                        Nest
                        Envisioning a bow store with every type I've ever wanted to try, in my
                        weight, and them actually letting me try them.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                          Nest signed off with, "Envisioning a bow store with every type I've ever
                          wanted to try, in my weight, and them actually letting me try them."

                          Now that is the trick. If you made your own bows, you could theoretically
                          do this. Maybe if you won the lottery you could create such warehouse.

                          -Caedmon
                        • Carolus Eulenhorst
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                            I have found that many people selling second hand bows often know nothing
                            about archery and got the bows through a bulk estate purchase or the
                            like. They tend to be well meaning and honest people who will disclose
                            flaws if they know them but know so little about archery tackle that they
                            list questionable items as perfect. This applies to all forms of sales,
                            not just ebay. Check the seller's other auctions on ebay and see if he
                            deals in a number of archery items, email him with questions, and ask
                            questions about the make and model of bow here and at you local dealers.
                            You should get a good idea if it is worth bidding on then.

                            In service to the dream
                            Carolus von Eulenhorst
                            eulenhorst@...

                            On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 08:06:25 -0700 (PDT) Nest verch Tangwistel
                            <eastarch@...> writes:
                            > I have purchased bows from ebay with mixed results. Both were
                            > advertised
                            > as brand new, and they were. One was not as heavy in the draw as I
                            > had
                            > been expecting though. I now use it as loaner equipment for
                            > beginners
                            > since it is only about 20 pounds.
                            > Like in everything you have to be very careful purchasing bows from
                            > ebay.
                            > It is impossible to see stress fractures and separating laminates in
                            > the
                            > posted pictures. At least hopefully no one is selling a bow with
                            > problem
                            > bad enough to see in the pictures. Someone starting out may not be
                            > able to
                            > recognize these problems even up close. I would be tempted to tell
                            > beginner to order a new bow off one of the known archery equipment
                            > vendors
                            > on the web if they couldn't get one locally. It may be somewhat
                            > more
                            > expensive, but ultimately safer to start. At least try to avoid
                            > older bows
                            > on ebay, and if you can't tell because they don't say, avoid them.
                            >
                            > Nest

                            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                          • fortunata_trb
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 6, 2002
                              I was hoping that in a town that wasn't too far from me the pawn shop
                              would have some bows but they stopped buying and selling archery
                              equipment.
                              Fortunata

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 6, 2002
                                Thank you for your advise and the information.

                                Fortunata