Re: [SCA-Archery] I shot my first bow.....

  • Mike Hornbaker
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
      Do you have access to a computer with nternet capability? If so, this are
      some 30#bows on ebay, which will stay avbailable for bids for a few more
      days. If those go higher than you can afford, others will come around
      sooner or later. For now, you have to decide what is your budget limit
      for a bow alone. Arrows will come later. A 30# bow, like the one you shot
      at Valor, will typically go for about $65 plus shipping.

      Michael

      On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 19:39:47 -0000 "fortunata_trb"
      <fortunata_trb@...> writes:
      > This weenend at Valor Tourney, and I don't think I did bad at all,
      > the target that was about 20 yards I missed the target completely
      > with only 2 arrows all the other arrows stuck in the target. I shot
      > 8
      > arrows three different times on that target, then my teacher moved
      > me
      > over to a target that was 50 yards away and I hit part of the target
      >
      > twice. I felt really good about it. It felt so natural. I only got
      > stung once on my arm. Now I can't wait to get my own bow and start
      > practicing.
      >
      > I accomplished my goal for this event I learned something new.
      >
      > Fortunata

      > list]
      >

      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • James Brummet
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
        WOuld you buy a bow that you hadn't held first? Granted I buy a lot of stuff on Ebay but I am not sure I woulds buy a bow from there.

        >>> mvb2@... 09/05/02 07:45AM >>>

      • cwilson@mhmh.org
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
          James Brummet wrote, "Would you buy a bow that you hadn't held first?
          Granted I buy a lot of stuff on Ebay but I am not sure I woulds buy a bow
          from there."

          I have. From woodbows.com. I ordered it over the internet, giving the
          specs of what I desired and everything was handled sight unseen. The bow
          is working very well for me and is about to get the trial of it's life on
          September 14th when I will be shooting 1,000 arrows to raise money for the
          midrealm chirurgeons.

          -Caedmon
        • fortunata_trb
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
            You are more than welcome to adopt my goal of trying to learn
            something new at every event I go to. I have been to two events since
            my return to the SCA and learned something new at each one. My idea
            comes from the saying that you should try to learn something new
            everyday, although I don't always accomplish that.

            Fortunata
          • fortunata_trb
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
              Thank you very much Micheal, I will look when I get a chance, yes I
              have my own computer that I share with my family.

              Fortunata
            • fortunata_trb
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                Whether I buy the bow from Ebay or order it from a guy that sells
                archery equipment I will still have to get a bow that is sight
                unseen, and unheld, both will have to be shipped. You have to admit
                longbows and recurves aren't as popular for the area I live in as it
                would be for other areas of the USA. I checked several places in
                Wichita and all they had were compounds.

                Fortunata
              • L Baker
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                  Don't know about your area but here in Souther
                  California you can quite often find Recurves and even
                  low end long bows at Thrift Shops. I have found three
                  in the past few months :)

                  YIS and in good Humor Fearghus

                  --- fortunata_trb <fortunata_trb@...> wrote:
                  > Whether I buy the bow from Ebay or order it from a
                  > guy that sells
                  > archery equipment I will still have to get a bow
                  > that is sight
                  > unseen, and unheld, both will have to be shipped.
                  > You have to admit
                  > longbows and recurves aren't as popular for the area
                  > I live in as it
                  > would be for other areas of the USA. I checked

                  =====
                  Beannachd nas Soilleir ort, agus air gach duine.
                  (Brightest of Blessings to you and all you hold dear.)

                  http://finance.yahoo.com
                • Nest verch Tangwistel
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                    I have purchased bows from ebay with mixed results. Both were advertised
                    as brand new, and they were. One was not as heavy in the draw as I had
                    been expecting though. I now use it as loaner equipment for beginners
                    since it is only about 20 pounds.
                    Like in everything you have to be very careful purchasing bows from ebay.
                    It is impossible to see stress fractures and separating laminates in the
                    posted pictures. At least hopefully no one is selling a bow with problem
                    bad enough to see in the pictures. Someone starting out may not be able to
                    recognize these problems even up close. I would be tempted to tell a
                    beginner to order a new bow off one of the known archery equipment vendors
                    on the web if they couldn't get one locally. It may be somewhat more
                    expensive, but ultimately safer to start. At least try to avoid older bows
                    on ebay, and if you can't tell because they don't say, avoid them.

                    Nest

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                        Lets also not forget you get what you pay for. Grant none of us have money to spare but I would just borrow a bow from someone and save up for a "good" bow. At least that is what I did. Ask your local captain where he got his bow or if he has one that he is willing to sale.

                        >>> eastarch@... 09/05/02 09:06AM >>>

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                          How right you are. The light weight bow only cost about $60. the other
                          which was a great deal was more like $265, and came from a bowyer from
                          which I had already purchased a full price bow at around $500. However,
                          those deals are few and far between.

                          Nest

                          Though a great story is the good gentle at Pennsic which won the 52" bow
                          which had been put up as a prize in one of the fun shoots. It was a lovely
                          bow, brand new, which sells for somewhere in the $800's. Then minutes
                          later when they had the raffle drawing for the brand new Black Widow bow
                          made to your specifications, he won that too. Boy, talk about having a
                          really great day. As great deals go you can't get much better than that.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                            You know, now that I think about it. I have hardly ever been able to look
                            at a bow before buying it. From my sons Olympic recurve..to my husbands
                            compound..to my English Longbows. I have always gotten everything from
                            mail order. While my husbands was a big name brand, my sons was a little
                            unusual and mine were a real shot in the dark. I remember when I got my
                            second bow wishing there was some way I could compare lots of types of
                            bows before buying. Unfortunately there isn't. Shops don't keep that kind
                            of inventory, and they wouldn't have it in my weight anyway. The shops
                            around here seem to specialize in one kind of equipment anyway. Usually
                            just a couple of traditionals bows in the back corner. Relying on word of
                            mouth is a start, but you notice half the time someone on this list asks
                            about a specific brand, no one has tried it. There are just too many types
                            out there. Oh well.

                            Nest
                            Envisioning a bow store with every type I've ever wanted to try, in my
                            weight, and them actually letting me try them.

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                              Nest signed off with, "Envisioning a bow store with every type I've ever
                              wanted to try, in my weight, and them actually letting me try them."

                              Now that is the trick. If you made your own bows, you could theoretically
                              do this. Maybe if you won the lottery you could create such warehouse.

                              -Caedmon
                            • Carolus Eulenhorst
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                                I have found that many people selling second hand bows often know nothing
                                about archery and got the bows through a bulk estate purchase or the
                                like. They tend to be well meaning and honest people who will disclose
                                flaws if they know them but know so little about archery tackle that they
                                list questionable items as perfect. This applies to all forms of sales,
                                not just ebay. Check the seller's other auctions on ebay and see if he
                                deals in a number of archery items, email him with questions, and ask
                                questions about the make and model of bow here and at you local dealers.
                                You should get a good idea if it is worth bidding on then.

                                In service to the dream
                                Carolus von Eulenhorst
                                eulenhorst@...

                                On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 08:06:25 -0700 (PDT) Nest verch Tangwistel
                                <eastarch@...> writes:
                                > I have purchased bows from ebay with mixed results. Both were
                                > advertised
                                > as brand new, and they were. One was not as heavy in the draw as I
                                > had
                                > been expecting though. I now use it as loaner equipment for
                                > beginners
                                > since it is only about 20 pounds.
                                > Like in everything you have to be very careful purchasing bows from
                                > ebay.
                                > It is impossible to see stress fractures and separating laminates in
                                > the
                                > posted pictures. At least hopefully no one is selling a bow with
                                > problem
                                > bad enough to see in the pictures. Someone starting out may not be
                                > able to
                                > recognize these problems even up close. I would be tempted to tell
                                > beginner to order a new bow off one of the known archery equipment
                                > vendors
                                > on the web if they couldn't get one locally. It may be somewhat
                                > more
                                > expensive, but ultimately safer to start. At least try to avoid
                                > older bows
                                > on ebay, and if you can't tell because they don't say, avoid them.
                                >
                                > Nest

                                GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                              • fortunata_trb
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 6, 2002
                                  I was hoping that in a town that wasn't too far from me the pawn shop
                                  would have some bows but they stopped buying and selling archery
                                  equipment.
                                  Fortunata

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 6, 2002
                                    Thank you for your advise and the information.

                                    Fortunata