Re: [SCA-Archery] I shot my first bow.....

  • Ardal Of Antioch
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 4, 2002
      >SNIP<

      >Now I can't wait to get my own bow and start
      >practicing.

      I know the feeling, that is how I got started in this....

      >I accomplished my goal for this event I learned something new.

      I wish I could say that for every event I went to, but it is a good goal,
      one I will adopt myself. If you don't mind....

      In Service to the Dream,

      Ardal

      "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's
      limits."
      -- Albert Einstein

    • Jennifer Hill
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 4, 2002
        Vivat! Gwen
      • Mike Hornbaker
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
          Do you have access to a computer with nternet capability? If so, this are
          some 30#bows on ebay, which will stay avbailable for bids for a few more
          days. If those go higher than you can afford, others will come around
          sooner or later. For now, you have to decide what is your budget limit
          for a bow alone. Arrows will come later. A 30# bow, like the one you shot
          at Valor, will typically go for about $65 plus shipping.

          Michael

          On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 19:39:47 -0000 "fortunata_trb"
          <fortunata_trb@...> writes:
          > This weenend at Valor Tourney, and I don't think I did bad at all,
          > the target that was about 20 yards I missed the target completely
          > with only 2 arrows all the other arrows stuck in the target. I shot
          > 8
          > arrows three different times on that target, then my teacher moved
          > me
          > over to a target that was 50 yards away and I hit part of the target
          >
          > twice. I felt really good about it. It felt so natural. I only got
          > stung once on my arm. Now I can't wait to get my own bow and start
          > practicing.
          >
          > I accomplished my goal for this event I learned something new.
          >
          > Fortunata

          > list]
          >

          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • James Brummet
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
            WOuld you buy a bow that you hadn't held first? Granted I buy a lot of stuff on Ebay but I am not sure I woulds buy a bow from there.

            >>> mvb2@... 09/05/02 07:45AM >>>

          • cwilson@mhmh.org
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
              James Brummet wrote, "Would you buy a bow that you hadn't held first?
              Granted I buy a lot of stuff on Ebay but I am not sure I woulds buy a bow
              from there."

              I have. From woodbows.com. I ordered it over the internet, giving the
              specs of what I desired and everything was handled sight unseen. The bow
              is working very well for me and is about to get the trial of it's life on
              September 14th when I will be shooting 1,000 arrows to raise money for the
              midrealm chirurgeons.

              -Caedmon
            • fortunata_trb
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                You are more than welcome to adopt my goal of trying to learn
                something new at every event I go to. I have been to two events since
                my return to the SCA and learned something new at each one. My idea
                comes from the saying that you should try to learn something new
                everyday, although I don't always accomplish that.

                Fortunata
              • fortunata_trb
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                  Thank you very much Micheal, I will look when I get a chance, yes I
                  have my own computer that I share with my family.

                  Fortunata
                • fortunata_trb
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                    Whether I buy the bow from Ebay or order it from a guy that sells
                    archery equipment I will still have to get a bow that is sight
                    unseen, and unheld, both will have to be shipped. You have to admit
                    longbows and recurves aren't as popular for the area I live in as it
                    would be for other areas of the USA. I checked several places in
                    Wichita and all they had were compounds.

                    Fortunata
                  • L Baker
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                      Don't know about your area but here in Souther
                      California you can quite often find Recurves and even
                      low end long bows at Thrift Shops. I have found three
                      in the past few months :)

                      YIS and in good Humor Fearghus

                      --- fortunata_trb <fortunata_trb@...> wrote:
                      > Whether I buy the bow from Ebay or order it from a
                      > guy that sells
                      > archery equipment I will still have to get a bow
                      > that is sight
                      > unseen, and unheld, both will have to be shipped.
                      > You have to admit
                      > longbows and recurves aren't as popular for the area
                      > I live in as it
                      > would be for other areas of the USA. I checked

                      =====
                      Beannachd nas Soilleir ort, agus air gach duine.
                      (Brightest of Blessings to you and all you hold dear.)

                      http://finance.yahoo.com
                    • Nest verch Tangwistel
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                        I have purchased bows from ebay with mixed results. Both were advertised
                        as brand new, and they were. One was not as heavy in the draw as I had
                        been expecting though. I now use it as loaner equipment for beginners
                        since it is only about 20 pounds.
                        Like in everything you have to be very careful purchasing bows from ebay.
                        It is impossible to see stress fractures and separating laminates in the
                        posted pictures. At least hopefully no one is selling a bow with problem
                        bad enough to see in the pictures. Someone starting out may not be able to
                        recognize these problems even up close. I would be tempted to tell a
                        beginner to order a new bow off one of the known archery equipment vendors
                        on the web if they couldn't get one locally. It may be somewhat more
                        expensive, but ultimately safer to start. At least try to avoid older bows
                        on ebay, and if you can't tell because they don't say, avoid them.

                        Nest

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                            Lets also not forget you get what you pay for. Grant none of us have money to spare but I would just borrow a bow from someone and save up for a "good" bow. At least that is what I did. Ask your local captain where he got his bow or if he has one that he is willing to sale.

                            >>> eastarch@... 09/05/02 09:06AM >>>

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                              How right you are. The light weight bow only cost about $60. the other
                              which was a great deal was more like $265, and came from a bowyer from
                              which I had already purchased a full price bow at around $500. However,
                              those deals are few and far between.

                              Nest

                              Though a great story is the good gentle at Pennsic which won the 52" bow
                              which had been put up as a prize in one of the fun shoots. It was a lovely
                              bow, brand new, which sells for somewhere in the $800's. Then minutes
                              later when they had the raffle drawing for the brand new Black Widow bow
                              made to your specifications, he won that too. Boy, talk about having a
                              really great day. As great deals go you can't get much better than that.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                                You know, now that I think about it. I have hardly ever been able to look
                                at a bow before buying it. From my sons Olympic recurve..to my husbands
                                compound..to my English Longbows. I have always gotten everything from
                                mail order. While my husbands was a big name brand, my sons was a little
                                unusual and mine were a real shot in the dark. I remember when I got my
                                second bow wishing there was some way I could compare lots of types of
                                bows before buying. Unfortunately there isn't. Shops don't keep that kind
                                of inventory, and they wouldn't have it in my weight anyway. The shops
                                around here seem to specialize in one kind of equipment anyway. Usually
                                just a couple of traditionals bows in the back corner. Relying on word of
                                mouth is a start, but you notice half the time someone on this list asks
                                about a specific brand, no one has tried it. There are just too many types
                                out there. Oh well.

                                Nest
                                Envisioning a bow store with every type I've ever wanted to try, in my
                                weight, and them actually letting me try them.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                                  Nest signed off with, "Envisioning a bow store with every type I've ever
                                  wanted to try, in my weight, and them actually letting me try them."

                                  Now that is the trick. If you made your own bows, you could theoretically
                                  do this. Maybe if you won the lottery you could create such warehouse.

                                  -Caedmon
                                • Carolus Eulenhorst
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 5, 2002
                                    I have found that many people selling second hand bows often know nothing
                                    about archery and got the bows through a bulk estate purchase or the
                                    like. They tend to be well meaning and honest people who will disclose
                                    flaws if they know them but know so little about archery tackle that they
                                    list questionable items as perfect. This applies to all forms of sales,
                                    not just ebay. Check the seller's other auctions on ebay and see if he
                                    deals in a number of archery items, email him with questions, and ask
                                    questions about the make and model of bow here and at you local dealers.
                                    You should get a good idea if it is worth bidding on then.

                                    In service to the dream
                                    Carolus von Eulenhorst
                                    eulenhorst@...

                                    On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 08:06:25 -0700 (PDT) Nest verch Tangwistel
                                    <eastarch@...> writes:
                                    > I have purchased bows from ebay with mixed results. Both were
                                    > advertised
                                    > as brand new, and they were. One was not as heavy in the draw as I
                                    > had
                                    > been expecting though. I now use it as loaner equipment for
                                    > beginners
                                    > since it is only about 20 pounds.
                                    > Like in everything you have to be very careful purchasing bows from
                                    > ebay.
                                    > It is impossible to see stress fractures and separating laminates in
                                    > the
                                    > posted pictures. At least hopefully no one is selling a bow with
                                    > problem
                                    > bad enough to see in the pictures. Someone starting out may not be
                                    > able to
                                    > recognize these problems even up close. I would be tempted to tell
                                    > beginner to order a new bow off one of the known archery equipment
                                    > vendors
                                    > on the web if they couldn't get one locally. It may be somewhat
                                    > more
                                    > expensive, but ultimately safer to start. At least try to avoid
                                    > older bows
                                    > on ebay, and if you can't tell because they don't say, avoid them.
                                    >
                                    > Nest

                                    GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                                  • fortunata_trb
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 6, 2002
                                      I was hoping that in a town that wasn't too far from me the pawn shop
                                      would have some bows but they stopped buying and selling archery
                                      equipment.
                                      Fortunata

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 6, 2002
                                        Thank you for your advise and the information.

                                        Fortunata