I shot my first bow.....

  • fortunata_trb
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 4 12:39 PM
      This weenend at Valor Tourney, and I don't think I did bad at all,
      the target that was about 20 yards I missed the target completely
      with only 2 arrows all the other arrows stuck in the target. I shot 8
      arrows three different times on that target, then my teacher moved me
      over to a target that was 50 yards away and I hit part of the target
      twice. I felt really good about it. It felt so natural. I only got
      stung once on my arm. Now I can't wait to get my own bow and start
      practicing.

      I accomplished my goal for this event I learned something new.

      Fortunata
    • Ardal Of Antioch
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 4 7:35 PM
        >SNIP<

        >Now I can't wait to get my own bow and start
        >practicing.

        I know the feeling, that is how I got started in this....

        >I accomplished my goal for this event I learned something new.

        I wish I could say that for every event I went to, but it is a good goal,
        one I will adopt myself. If you don't mind....

        In Service to the Dream,

        Ardal

        "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's
        limits."
        -- Albert Einstein

      • Jennifer Hill
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 4 9:50 PM
          Vivat! Gwen
        • Mike Hornbaker
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 5 6:45 AM
            Do you have access to a computer with nternet capability? If so, this are
            some 30#bows on ebay, which will stay avbailable for bids for a few more
            days. If those go higher than you can afford, others will come around
            sooner or later. For now, you have to decide what is your budget limit
            for a bow alone. Arrows will come later. A 30# bow, like the one you shot
            at Valor, will typically go for about $65 plus shipping.

            Michael

            On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 19:39:47 -0000 "fortunata_trb"
            <fortunata_trb@...> writes:
            > This weenend at Valor Tourney, and I don't think I did bad at all,
            > the target that was about 20 yards I missed the target completely
            > with only 2 arrows all the other arrows stuck in the target. I shot
            > 8
            > arrows three different times on that target, then my teacher moved
            > me
            > over to a target that was 50 yards away and I hit part of the target
            >
            > twice. I felt really good about it. It felt so natural. I only got
            > stung once on my arm. Now I can't wait to get my own bow and start
            > practicing.
            >
            > I accomplished my goal for this event I learned something new.
            >
            > Fortunata

            > list]
            >

            > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • James Brummet
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 5 7:32 AM
              WOuld you buy a bow that you hadn't held first? Granted I buy a lot of stuff on Ebay but I am not sure I woulds buy a bow from there.

              >>> mvb2@... 09/05/02 07:45AM >>>

            • cwilson@mhmh.org
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 5 7:33 AM
                James Brummet wrote, "Would you buy a bow that you hadn't held first?
                Granted I buy a lot of stuff on Ebay but I am not sure I woulds buy a bow
                from there."

                I have. From woodbows.com. I ordered it over the internet, giving the
                specs of what I desired and everything was handled sight unseen. The bow
                is working very well for me and is about to get the trial of it's life on
                September 14th when I will be shooting 1,000 arrows to raise money for the
                midrealm chirurgeons.

                -Caedmon
              • fortunata_trb
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 5 7:49 AM
                  You are more than welcome to adopt my goal of trying to learn
                  something new at every event I go to. I have been to two events since
                  my return to the SCA and learned something new at each one. My idea
                  comes from the saying that you should try to learn something new
                  everyday, although I don't always accomplish that.

                  Fortunata
                • fortunata_trb
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 5 7:52 AM
                    Thank you very much Micheal, I will look when I get a chance, yes I
                    have my own computer that I share with my family.

                    Fortunata
                  • fortunata_trb
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 5 7:56 AM
                      Whether I buy the bow from Ebay or order it from a guy that sells
                      archery equipment I will still have to get a bow that is sight
                      unseen, and unheld, both will have to be shipped. You have to admit
                      longbows and recurves aren't as popular for the area I live in as it
                      would be for other areas of the USA. I checked several places in
                      Wichita and all they had were compounds.

                      Fortunata
                    • L Baker
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 5 8:04 AM
                        Don't know about your area but here in Souther
                        California you can quite often find Recurves and even
                        low end long bows at Thrift Shops. I have found three
                        in the past few months :)

                        YIS and in good Humor Fearghus

                        --- fortunata_trb <fortunata_trb@...> wrote:
                        > Whether I buy the bow from Ebay or order it from a
                        > guy that sells
                        > archery equipment I will still have to get a bow
                        > that is sight
                        > unseen, and unheld, both will have to be shipped.
                        > You have to admit
                        > longbows and recurves aren't as popular for the area
                        > I live in as it
                        > would be for other areas of the USA. I checked

                        =====
                        Beannachd nas Soilleir ort, agus air gach duine.
                        (Brightest of Blessings to you and all you hold dear.)

                        http://finance.yahoo.com
                      • Nest verch Tangwistel
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 5 8:06 AM
                          I have purchased bows from ebay with mixed results. Both were advertised
                          as brand new, and they were. One was not as heavy in the draw as I had
                          been expecting though. I now use it as loaner equipment for beginners
                          since it is only about 20 pounds.
                          Like in everything you have to be very careful purchasing bows from ebay.
                          It is impossible to see stress fractures and separating laminates in the
                          posted pictures. At least hopefully no one is selling a bow with problem
                          bad enough to see in the pictures. Someone starting out may not be able to
                          recognize these problems even up close. I would be tempted to tell a
                          beginner to order a new bow off one of the known archery equipment vendors
                          on the web if they couldn't get one locally. It may be somewhat more
                          expensive, but ultimately safer to start. At least try to avoid older bows
                          on ebay, and if you can't tell because they don't say, avoid them.

                          Nest

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 5 8:19 AM
                              Lets also not forget you get what you pay for. Grant none of us have money to spare but I would just borrow a bow from someone and save up for a "good" bow. At least that is what I did. Ask your local captain where he got his bow or if he has one that he is willing to sale.

                              >>> eastarch@... 09/05/02 09:06AM >>>

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 5 11:06 AM
                                How right you are. The light weight bow only cost about $60. the other
                                which was a great deal was more like $265, and came from a bowyer from
                                which I had already purchased a full price bow at around $500. However,
                                those deals are few and far between.

                                Nest

                                Though a great story is the good gentle at Pennsic which won the 52" bow
                                which had been put up as a prize in one of the fun shoots. It was a lovely
                                bow, brand new, which sells for somewhere in the $800's. Then minutes
                                later when they had the raffle drawing for the brand new Black Widow bow
                                made to your specifications, he won that too. Boy, talk about having a
                                really great day. As great deals go you can't get much better than that.

                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 5 11:55 AM
                                  You know, now that I think about it. I have hardly ever been able to look
                                  at a bow before buying it. From my sons Olympic recurve..to my husbands
                                  compound..to my English Longbows. I have always gotten everything from
                                  mail order. While my husbands was a big name brand, my sons was a little
                                  unusual and mine were a real shot in the dark. I remember when I got my
                                  second bow wishing there was some way I could compare lots of types of
                                  bows before buying. Unfortunately there isn't. Shops don't keep that kind
                                  of inventory, and they wouldn't have it in my weight anyway. The shops
                                  around here seem to specialize in one kind of equipment anyway. Usually
                                  just a couple of traditionals bows in the back corner. Relying on word of
                                  mouth is a start, but you notice half the time someone on this list asks
                                  about a specific brand, no one has tried it. There are just too many types
                                  out there. Oh well.

                                  Nest
                                  Envisioning a bow store with every type I've ever wanted to try, in my
                                  weight, and them actually letting me try them.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 5 12:07 PM
                                    Nest signed off with, "Envisioning a bow store with every type I've ever
                                    wanted to try, in my weight, and them actually letting me try them."

                                    Now that is the trick. If you made your own bows, you could theoretically
                                    do this. Maybe if you won the lottery you could create such warehouse.

                                    -Caedmon
                                  • Carolus Eulenhorst
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 5 8:36 PM
                                      I have found that many people selling second hand bows often know nothing
                                      about archery and got the bows through a bulk estate purchase or the
                                      like. They tend to be well meaning and honest people who will disclose
                                      flaws if they know them but know so little about archery tackle that they
                                      list questionable items as perfect. This applies to all forms of sales,
                                      not just ebay. Check the seller's other auctions on ebay and see if he
                                      deals in a number of archery items, email him with questions, and ask
                                      questions about the make and model of bow here and at you local dealers.
                                      You should get a good idea if it is worth bidding on then.

                                      In service to the dream
                                      Carolus von Eulenhorst
                                      eulenhorst@...

                                      On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 08:06:25 -0700 (PDT) Nest verch Tangwistel
                                      <eastarch@...> writes:
                                      > I have purchased bows from ebay with mixed results. Both were
                                      > advertised
                                      > as brand new, and they were. One was not as heavy in the draw as I
                                      > had
                                      > been expecting though. I now use it as loaner equipment for
                                      > beginners
                                      > since it is only about 20 pounds.
                                      > Like in everything you have to be very careful purchasing bows from
                                      > ebay.
                                      > It is impossible to see stress fractures and separating laminates in
                                      > the
                                      > posted pictures. At least hopefully no one is selling a bow with
                                      > problem
                                      > bad enough to see in the pictures. Someone starting out may not be
                                      > able to
                                      > recognize these problems even up close. I would be tempted to tell
                                      > beginner to order a new bow off one of the known archery equipment
                                      > vendors
                                      > on the web if they couldn't get one locally. It may be somewhat
                                      > more
                                      > expensive, but ultimately safer to start. At least try to avoid
                                      > older bows
                                      > on ebay, and if you can't tell because they don't say, avoid them.
                                      >
                                      > Nest

                                      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
                                    • fortunata_trb
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 6 8:52 AM
                                        I was hoping that in a town that wasn't too far from me the pawn shop
                                        would have some bows but they stopped buying and selling archery
                                        equipment.
                                        Fortunata

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 6 8:53 AM
                                          Thank you for your advise and the information.

                                          Fortunata