Palm Pilot

  • haroldingelsson
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 27, 2002
      Does anybody have a scoring program for IKAC/RRs so I can avoid using
      paper or fingers to relay my score to the marshals? Wrote something
      in Excel but hoping somebody has something better.

      Know it's not period but would rather leave the hand gestures to
      insulting Frogs,
      Harold Ingelsson
    • wyvern@megahits.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 27, 2002
        On 27 Aug 2002 at 15:52, haroldingelsson wrote:

        > Does anybody have a scoring program for IKAC/RRs so I can avoid using
        > paper or fingers to relay my score to the marshals? Wrote something
        > in Excel but hoping somebody has something better.

        Doesn't the marshal score the round anyway? If not, what's the point of
        the requirement to have a marshal present?

        Macsen
      • haroldingelsson
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 27, 2002
          >> Does anybody have a scoring program for IKAC/RRs so I can avoid
          >> using paper or fingers to relay my score to the marshals? Wrote
          >> something in Excel but hoping somebody has something better.

          > Doesn't the marshal score the round anyway? If not, what's the
          > point of the requirement to have a marshal present?

          The marshals seem to have everybody score their own arrows and you
          just tell the marshal what you shot. Just feeling stupid having to
          commuicate my score with my fingers. The marshals understand my
          situation and aren't the problem. It's just awkward for me.

          Harold Ingelsson
        • Tessa the Huntress
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 27, 2002
            I always thought the marshals were there for safety reasons.. first and
            foremost.. Watching the range for people/animals or kids (etc).. and for
            archers who don't practice safe shooting, etc..

            Tessa the Huntress

            > Doesn't the marshal score the round anyway? If not, what's the
            > point of the requirement to have a marshal present?
          • John Edgerton
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 27, 2002
              From the IKAC rules under scoring ........ "Scoring is on the honor system:
              you may count and record your own score. " The marshal is present for safety
              reasons.

              Jon

              wyvern@... wrote:

              > On 27 Aug 2002 at 15:52, haroldingelsson wrote:
              >
              > > Does anybody have a scoring program for IKAC/RRs so I can avoid using
              > > paper or fingers to relay my score to the marshals? Wrote something
              > > in Excel but hoping somebody has something better.
              >
              > Doesn't the marshal score the round anyway? If not, what's the point of
              > the requirement to have a marshal present?
              >
              > Macsen

            • Carolus Eulenhorst
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 27, 2002
                This is the primary reason we have marshals on the range. In the case of
                a questionable arrow the marshal is called in to decide it, but generally
                his duties are supervisory.

                In service to the dream
                Carolus von Eulenhorst
                eulenhorst@...

                On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 13:03:12 -0400 Tessa the Huntress
                <tessathehuntress@...> writes:
                > I always thought the marshals were there for safety reasons.. first
                > and
                > foremost.. Watching the range for people/animals or kids (etc)..
                > and for
                > archers who don't practice safe shooting, etc..
                >
                > Tessa the Huntress
                >

                > > Doesn't the marshal score the round anyway? If not, what's the
                > > point of the requirement to have a marshal present?
                > >
                > >Macsen

                GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
              • Simon Hondy
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 27, 2002
                  Amazing what is out there for palm pilots!!

                  http://www.targetplot.com.au/targlite.htm
                  This really sounds almost perfect, from what little I have read that you are
                  asking, and you can down load a demo version. The license is 35 dollars US,
                  not really all that bad, especially if it will be as helpful as it sounds.

                  http://www.spot-hogg.com/aa_palm.htm
                  might be a little to much aimed at non traditional archers

                  Simon Hondy
                  Baile na Scolairi
                  Midlands

                  > >> Does anybody have a scoring program for IKAC/RRs so I can avoid
                  > >> using paper or fingers to relay my score to the marshals? Wrote
                  > >> something in Excel but hoping somebody has something better.
                  >
                  > > Doesn't the marshal score the round anyway? If not, what's the
                  > > point of the requirement to have a marshal present?
                  >
                  > The marshals seem to have everybody score their own arrows and you
                  > just tell the marshal what you shot. Just feeling stupid having to
                  > commuicate my score with my fingers. The marshals understand my
                  > situation and aren't the problem. It's just awkward for me.
                  >
                  > Harold Ingelsson

                • Bruce R. Gordon
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 27, 2002
                    Greetings
                    Your "situation"? Do I gather that you are handicapped in some
                    fashion, and need a convenient method of visually recording scores in
                    such a manner that scoring marshals can refer to it easily?
                    I'm not an expert on palm pilots by any stretch of the
                    imagination, but I can't fathom that a simple database setup, such as
                    excel, wouldn't work fine with a bit of tweaking. Any techies out there
                    know more about this?

                    Regarding the other comments about the duties of the marshallate -
                    yes, we are primarily safety officers and yes, IKAC and the like use
                    the honour system - but administering the range, including recording
                    scores, has always been an integral part of the service we provide. I
                    certainly expect MY marshals to attend to such matters when they aren't
                    inspecting equipment or chasing tourists off the back forty.

                    F. Nigel FitzMaurice, Mid. AG

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    --
                    Ex Tenebra, Lux

                  • haroldingelsson
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 27, 2002
                      > This is the primary reason we have marshals on the range. In the
                      > case of a questionable arrow the marshal is called in to decide it,
                      > but generally his duties are supervisory.

                      Wouldn't bother me to have a marshal score because the best policy is
                      on questionable arrows to accept the lower score.

                      Harold Ingelsson
                    • haroldingelsson
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 27, 2002
                        > Your "situation"? Do I gather that you are handicapped in some
                        > fashion, and need a convenient method of visually recording scores
                        > in such a manner that scoring marshals can refer to it easily?

                        Mute. Cannot Speak. 50% chances of someday regaining the ability
                        and flying out west on Wednesday for therapy and looking into a new
                        experimental procedure. Marshals are always great with the
                        limitation, it is just an awkward feeling for me to have to hold up
                        my fingers to relay a score.

                        Harold Ingelsson
                      • Carolus Eulenhorst
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 27, 2002
                          While I am sure that we all would accept the lower score for ourselves,
                          we also want to see our competitors get the best score they can. Having
                          a marshal handle this tends to reduce the Alphonse and Gaston "You got a
                          gold"; "No, I didn't" type scenes. Sometimes we're just too chivalrous
                          for our own good.

                          In service to the dream
                          Carolus von Eulenhorst
                          eulenhorst@...

                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 27, 2002
                            Of course the easiest way with a palm pilot would be to write the number
                            down on the note pad, and show it to the marshal. Or possibly a more period
                            way.... Get some one that can count to 30, remember that number tell the
                            marshal, and as a bonus, retrieve your arrows for you!!!

                            Young kids are great, low to the ground to get those arrows out of the
                            grass....

                            Simon Hondy
                            being silly

                            > Mute. Cannot Speak. 50% chances of someday regaining the ability
                            > and flying out west on Wednesday for therapy and looking into a new
                            > experimental procedure. Marshals are always great with the
                            > limitation, it is just an awkward feeling for me to have to hold up
                            > my fingers to relay a score.
                            >
                            > Harold Ingelsson
                          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 27, 2002
                              <yes, we are primarily safety officers and yes, IKAC and the like use
                              > the honour system - but administering the range, including recording
                              > scores, has always been an integral part of the service we provide. I
                              > certainly expect MY marshals to attend to such matters when they aren't
                              > inspecting equipment or chasing tourists off the back forty.

                              Yes! I will score for someone who is not familure(sp) with scoring(sp) plus
                              I have no trouble with calling a close arrow or scoring a extremely high
                              score to protect a person's honor. But my time is better spent making sure
                              scores get turned in for the record. On the other hand I make sure everyone
                              on the range gets to see, or at least hears about, a perfect end.

                              James Cunningham
                            • Joe Irvine
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 27, 2002
                                I use thinkdb... works great for making databases... I'm making a db for
                                royal round scoring now that you mentioned it.

                                Yours in Service,

                                Dierk zem Grauen Wolf

                                Your "situation"? Do I gather that you are handicapped in some
                                fashion, and need a convenient method of visually recording scores in
                                such a manner that scoring marshals can refer to it easily?
                                I'm not an expert on palm pilots by any stretch of the
                                imagination, but I can't fathom that a simple database setup, such as
                                excel, wouldn't work fine with a bit of tweaking. Any techies out there
                                know more about this?

                                Regarding the other comments about the duties of the marshallate -
                                yes, we are primarily safety officers and yes, IKAC and the like use
                                the honour system - but administering the range, including recording
                                scores, has always been an integral part of the service we provide. I
                                certainly expect MY marshals to attend to such matters when they aren't
                                inspecting equipment or chasing tourists off the back forty.

                                F. Nigel FitzMaurice, Mid. AG

                                > >> Does anybody have a scoring program for IKAC/RRs so I can avoid
                                > >> using paper or fingers to relay my score to the marshals? Wrote
                                > >> something in Excel but hoping somebody has something better.
                                >
                                > > Doesn't the marshal score the round anyway? If not, what's the
                                > > point of the requirement to have a marshal present?
                                >
                                > The marshals seem to have everybody score their own arrows and you
                                > just tell the marshal what you shot. Just feeling stupid having to
                                > commuicate my score with my fingers. The marshals understand my
                                > situation and aren't the problem. It's just awkward for me.
                                >
                                > Harold Ingelsson

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                --
                                Ex Tenebra, Lux

                              • conradvonzollern
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 28, 2002
                                  Carolus Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@j...> wrote:

                                  "... Sometimes we're just too chivalrous for our own good."

                                  What a nice 'problem' to have to endure...

                                  Another great lesson to learn from playing this game and to attempt
                                  to apply to the mundane world...

                                  In service to the dream,

                                  Conrad von Zollern

                                  P.S. Wo ist Eulenhorst? Stadt Koblenz?
                                • L Baker
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 29, 2002
                                    --- conradvonzollern <conradvonzollern@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > Conrad von Zollern
                                    >
                                    > P.S. Wo ist Eulenhorst? Stadt Koblenz?

                                    Nein, Ich Denke es ist im Stadt Pfalzland :)

                                    YIS and in Good Humor Fearghus

                                    =====
                                    Beannachd nas Soilleir ort, agus air gach duine.
                                    (Brightest of Blessings to you and all you hold dear.)

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 29, 2002
                                      --- L Baker <mac_lochloinn@...> wrote:

                                      > --- conradvonzollern <conradvonzollern@...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Conrad von Zollern
                                      > >
                                      > > P.S. Wo ist Eulenhorst? Stadt Koblenz?
                                      > >

                                      > Nein, Ich Denke es ist im Stadt Pfalzland :)
                                      >
                                      > YIS and in Good Humor Fearghus
                                      >

                                      > =====
                                      > Beannachd nas Soilleir ort, agus air gach duine.
                                      > (Brightest of Blessings to you and all you hold
                                      > dear.)
                                      >
                                      >Hmmmm Maybe mixing Gaelic and German in the same post
                                      was not such a good idea... :)

                                      Melikemikimaka and Houlemakehikiho :>

                                      http://finance.yahoo.com
                                    • dateyukiie
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 30, 2002
                                        Greetings to all on the list from Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou
                                        Yukiie
                                        I posted a message similar to this on another list (jml) so if it
                                        sounds familiar to some, I offer humble appologies. I am looking
                                        for information on the fur chaps worn with some forms of
                                        ceremonial Kyudo, and Yabusame. It is part of a period hunting
                                        costume. I would like to find out the name of the chaps in
                                        japanese, and any odd details, like are they lined? Do they have
                                        their own himo like haidate do, or do they tuck into the uwa obi. I
                                        am putting together a shooting outfit of this nature, and have the
                                        right fur - I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing with
                                        it.

                                        Respectfully, Date Yukiie
                                        Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equall in the grave
                                      • Marko Peussa
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 30, 2002
                                          You can find photos of them in the book:

                                          The Samurai recreated in colour photographs
                                          Mitsuo Kure & Ghislaine Kruit
                                          The Crowood Press, year 2000
                                          ISBN: 1 86126 335 X

                                          They look like unlined, but it is very difficult to say, and have another
                                          obi over them to keep them in place. Don't know the Japanese term, sorry.

                                          Regards,

                                          Klaus