Re: Double crossbows.

  • James W. Pratt Jr.
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 1999
      Greetings Matthew Legge

      Thanks for getting away from "the" debate.
      I am thinking of making one for combat as a suprise tactic for the fighter
      who waits until after you shoot to charge. With our golf tubes and baldar
      blunts 6 to 8 shots per loading is in the realm of the possible. But I have
      two crossbows and a viking boat to build befor I can start it.
      Mail me privately on how your crossbow shooting is going.

      James Cunningham
    • jotl@xxxxxxxxxx.xx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 1999
        At 7:20 PM 11/1/99 +0800, Matthew Legge wrote:
        >From: Matthew Legge <ruadh@...>
        >
        >Umm I couldn't resist this thread....
        >
        >On pages 62-67 of the Journal of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries, Vol 39,
        >1996 there is an article by Bede Dwyer on a Chinese repeating crossbow.
        >This little beasty used a pump action to shoot around twenty bolts, TWO AT
        >A TIME. The article is a summary of the crossbow from a Chinese
        >archaeological Journal.

        I saw one fired at 3YC. I believe it was entered in the Archery
        Masterworks competition. A period "machine gun"; functional, but not very
        accurate.

        James
        jotl@...
      • Karl Sandhoff
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 1999
          Payne Gallwey disscusses this bow including construction details. He
          notes that this weapon saw considerable use in the Sino-Japanese war of
          1894-95.
          Carolus von Eulenhorst

          On Mon, 01 Nov 1999 19:20:58 +0800 Matthew Legge <ruadh@...>
          writes:
          >From: Matthew Legge <ruadh@...>
          >
          >Umm I couldn't resist this thread....
          >
          >On pages 62-67 of the Journal of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries,
          >Vol 39,
          >1996 there is an article by Bede Dwyer on a Chinese repeating
          >crossbow.
          >This little beasty used a pump action to shoot around twenty bolts,
          >TWO AT
          >A TIME. The article is a summary of the crossbow from a Chinese
          >archaeological Journal.
          >
          >If any one is interested I can make copies.
          >
          >>From the article I get the feeling that the bow would not be very
          >accurate
          >and therefore unsuitable for target archery, even if it didn't stretch
          >the
          >spirit of the competition to breaking point. But it or a single bolt
          >version would be way cool for combat, especially with the 19mm (3/4
          >inch)
          >blunts we can use in Lochac <manic grin>
          >
          >YIS
          >
          >Maidiu
          >Aneala

        • Walter Cornell
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 1999
            Here is a "Snap Shot" from the video:
            Archery its history and forms (available from Barnes and Noble)

            This is a Chinese repeating cross bow.

            In service,

            Walter of Steinsee