Double crossbows.

  • Matthew Legge
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 1999
      Umm I couldn't resist this thread....

      On pages 62-67 of the Journal of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries, Vol 39,
      1996 there is an article by Bede Dwyer on a Chinese repeating crossbow.
      This little beasty used a pump action to shoot around twenty bolts, TWO AT
      A TIME. The article is a summary of the crossbow from a Chinese
      archaeological Journal.

      If any one is interested I can make copies.

      From the article I get the feeling that the bow would not be very accurate
      and therefore unsuitable for target archery, even if it didn't stretch the
      spirit of the competition to breaking point. But it or a single bolt
      version would be way cool for combat, especially with the 19mm (3/4 inch)
      blunts we can use in Lochac <manic grin>

      YIS

      Maidiu
      Aneala
    • James W. Pratt Jr.
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 1999
        Greetings Matthew Legge

        Thanks for getting away from "the" debate.
        I am thinking of making one for combat as a suprise tactic for the fighter
        who waits until after you shoot to charge. With our golf tubes and baldar
        blunts 6 to 8 shots per loading is in the realm of the possible. But I have
        two crossbows and a viking boat to build befor I can start it.
        Mail me privately on how your crossbow shooting is going.

        James Cunningham
      • jotl@xxxxxxxxxx.xx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 1999
          At 7:20 PM 11/1/99 +0800, Matthew Legge wrote:
          >From: Matthew Legge <ruadh@...>
          >
          >Umm I couldn't resist this thread....
          >
          >On pages 62-67 of the Journal of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries, Vol 39,
          >1996 there is an article by Bede Dwyer on a Chinese repeating crossbow.
          >This little beasty used a pump action to shoot around twenty bolts, TWO AT
          >A TIME. The article is a summary of the crossbow from a Chinese
          >archaeological Journal.

          I saw one fired at 3YC. I believe it was entered in the Archery
          Masterworks competition. A period "machine gun"; functional, but not very
          accurate.

          James
          jotl@...
        • Karl Sandhoff
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 1999
            Payne Gallwey disscusses this bow including construction details. He
            notes that this weapon saw considerable use in the Sino-Japanese war of
            1894-95.
            Carolus von Eulenhorst

            On Mon, 01 Nov 1999 19:20:58 +0800 Matthew Legge <ruadh@...>
            writes:
            >From: Matthew Legge <ruadh@...>
            >
            >Umm I couldn't resist this thread....
            >
            >On pages 62-67 of the Journal of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries,
            >Vol 39,
            >1996 there is an article by Bede Dwyer on a Chinese repeating
            >crossbow.
            >This little beasty used a pump action to shoot around twenty bolts,
            >TWO AT
            >A TIME. The article is a summary of the crossbow from a Chinese
            >archaeological Journal.
            >
            >If any one is interested I can make copies.
            >
            >>From the article I get the feeling that the bow would not be very
            >accurate
            >and therefore unsuitable for target archery, even if it didn't stretch
            >the
            >spirit of the competition to breaking point. But it or a single bolt
            >version would be way cool for combat, especially with the 19mm (3/4
            >inch)
            >blunts we can use in Lochac <manic grin>
            >
            >YIS
            >
            >Maidiu
            >Aneala

          • Walter Cornell
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 5, 1999
              Here is a "Snap Shot" from the video:
              Archery its history and forms (available from Barnes and Noble)

              This is a Chinese repeating cross bow.

              In service,

              Walter of Steinsee