Re: Royal rounds was Archery Scoring (long)

  • Karl Sandhoff
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 1999
      I keep hearing the refrain that the Royal Round should be discontinued in
      its entirety, that it is counterproductive to the goal of SCA archery. I
      don't agree. I do agree that the Royal Round should be used by an
      instructor and local archery captain to train and encourage his new
      archers in the process of guiding them to more period archery. I believe
      the place of the Royal Round is in practice and not in competition. It
      is one of my pet peeves that the Caidan Queen's Champion archer is chosen
      by a single Royal Round. In the past year and a half, I have not offered
      one Royal Round in competition and have had excellent participation.

      The use of ranking, as in internal, non-award, practice based on the
      Royal Round serves well to move archers into the SCA structure. It must
      be done with a program of education however to stress the period goals of
      our group. Giving awards and official status on the basis of Royal Round
      scores is an abomination.

      While running practice for another barony I attempted to move the
      practices towards more period styles. During this time I had six new
      archers join the group. After several weeks of period practice all were
      ready to quit SCA archery as they complained that they had not scored a
      single point in practice and saw no improvement. As with so many other
      new archers, they had all had some exposure to mundane archery
      previously. Reluctantly, I reinstituted Royal Round's at practice and
      immediately saw an increase in interest. The end result of this is that
      2 of the archers have dropped out of the SCA entirely, 1 is a serious
      Royal Round fan, but 3 of them are staunch supporters of period archery.
      In my experience, this is an excellent response to the goals of the SCA.

      In this regard, Royal Rounds serve admirably as the same type of training
      tool as felt tip calligraphy pens and erasable inks. The difficulty is
      that the use of them requires much more effort on the part of the
      coaches. It requires a vision of not only where we are but where we want
      to be and the patience to restart this process with all new archers.
      Just as shooting Royal Rounds gets boring and tedious for the archers,
      the training process gets boring for the teacher. This is a price I am
      willing to pay and have been for 10 years in the interest of getting
      better archers out there.

      This idea that all we want is a few new period archers now rather than a
      larger number of archers who must be brought along is self defeating.
      The kingdom will refuse to allocate resources for a small group but will
      take notice of a larger group trying to get active and advance. I don't
      get the time to shoot that I want and thus don't get listed in the
      Kingdom competition results but I get the great pleasure of seeing those
      that I have helped along get recognition for their efforts. It's a good
      trade-off.

      Carolus von Eulenhorst