Re: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 1029

  • James Brummet
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2002
      Well I am going to get shot at for asking this but... Were there any recurves in England during the time span we use in the SCA? I have a great 30 pounder and I would hate to start fresh with a new bow but I want to be a period as I can.

      >>> <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com> 08/05/02 04:19AM >>>

      There are 9 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Types of bows...Was Newbie question...
      From: Godwin fitzGilbert de Strigoil <Godwin@...>
      2. unsubscribe
      From: amanda helmer <amanda_helmer@...>
      3. Barnett crossbow string?
      From: "sirjon_fitzrauf" <sirjon1@...>
      4. Re: unsubscribe
      From: "godwinthearcher" <Godwin@...>
      5. Re: Barnett crossbow string?
      From: "conradvonzollern" <conradvonzollern@...>
      6. Re: Types of bows...Was Newbie question...
      From: "elbrethofmontrose" <pk_lioness@...>
      7. Re: Re: Types of bows...Was Newbie question...
      From: Carolus Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@...>
      8. Re: Bow Tuning
      From: John Edgerton <sirjon1@...>
      9. Re: Bow Tuning
      From: Jaime Tiampo <fugu@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 08:29:43 -0600
      From: Godwin fitzGilbert de Strigoil <Godwin@...>
      Subject: Re: Types of bows...Was Newbie question...

      > Message: 7
      > Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 00:44:33 -0000
      > From: "elbrethofmontrose" <pk_lioness@...>
      > Subject: Re: Newbie question... (bear with me please!)
      >
      > -snip-
      > I used to teach basic archery to kids at a summer camp, so I've used
      > recurves and longbows, but what's a flatbow like? And how does it
      > differ? I'm not sure if I want to get into combat archery yet or not,
      > definatly target though.
      > ~Lady Elbreth of Montrose

      Well an english longbow is generally described as a bow having a "D" cross section, and some would say technically would have to be at least 72" from nock to nock. In period a longbow was a bow the same height as you and up to 4" taller. So if you're 5' tall, a longbow for you would be 60-64", by a rule of thumb so to speak.

      You would consider a flatbow to be a bow not having a "D" cross section. American longbows for instance could be considered a flatbow because of it's basic cross section.
      __________
      / \
      \__________/

      What more may be considered a flatbow, is a description of when the limbs spread out considerably wider than the riser. The flatbow is generally a shorter bow than the longbow. I have an American longbow, which the belly and back are flat. I have a hickory backed yew bow, which I built, which is about halfway between a flatbow and a true "D" section longbow.

      Here is a good archery dictonary page:
      http://hometown.aol.com/tradbowmd/archdict.htm

      And here would be where you can get in touch with people involved in archery in your area:
      http://www.tnc.ab.ca/~sca/officers.htm

      Hope all that is clearer than mud :)

      Godwin

      Message: 2
      Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 13:32:17 -0700 (PDT)
      From: amanda helmer <amanda_helmer@...>

      Please unsubscribe me at this time due to an overload of things going on in my life. I'm sure that I will resubscribe at a later date. (moving and marriage-yehah!!) thank you for all of the info so far, though.

      regretfully-kind of

      amanda

      Message: 3
      Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 23:06:07 -0000
      From: "sirjon_fitzrauf" <sirjon1@...>
      Subject: Barnett crossbow string?

      Greetings

      I need a replacement string for my 150lb Barnett Wildcat crossbow.
      Does anyone know of a supplier for them?

      Thank you for any help you can give.

      Message: 4
      Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 02:00:22 -0000
      From: "godwinthearcher" <Godwin@...>

      --- In SCA-Archery@y..., amanda helmer <amanda_helmer@y...> wrote:

      > Please unsubscribe me at this time due to an overload of things
      going on in my life. I'm sure that I will resubscribe at a later
      date. (moving and marriage-yehah!!) thank you for all of the info
      so far, though.

      > regretfully-kind of
      >
      > amanda

      Good luck Amanda! Hope to see you back!

      Godwin

      Message: 5
      Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 02:57:04 -0000
      From: "conradvonzollern" <conradvonzollern@...>
      Subject: Re: Barnett crossbow string?

      Sir Jon,

      Try "On Target Sports" at:

      http://www.ontargetsportsonline.com/

      ~ or ~

      1-866-362-8806

      I believe the part number is #16024

      Conrad von Zollern

      "sirjon_fitzrauf" <sirjon1@p...> wrote:

      "Greetings

      I need a replacement string for my 150lb Barnett Wildcat crossbow.
      Does anyone know of a supplier for them?

      Thank you for any help you can give.

      Message: 6
      Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 04:46:12 -0000
      From: "elbrethofmontrose" <pk_lioness@...>

      --- In SCA-Archery@y..., Godwin fitzGilbert de Strigoil <Godwin@r...>
      wrote:
      > > Message: 7
      > > Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 00:44:33 -0000
      > > From: "elbrethofmontrose" <pk_lioness@h...>
      > > Subject: Re: Newbie question... (bear with me please!)
      > >
      > > -snip-
      > > I used to teach basic archery to kids at a summer camp, so I've
      used
      > > recurves and longbows, but what's a flatbow like? And how does it
      > > differ? I'm not sure if I want to get into combat archery yet or
      not,
      > > definatly target though.
      > > ~Lady Elbreth of Montrose
      >
      > Well an english longbow is generally described as a bow having
      a "D" cross section, and some would say technically would have to be
      at least 72" from nock to nock. In period a longbow was a bow the
      same height as you and up to 4" taller. So if you're 5' tall, a
      longbow for you would be 60-64", by a rule of thumb so to speak.

      > You would consider a flatbow to be a bow not having a "D" cross
      section. American longbows for instance could be considered a flatbow
      because of it's basic cross section.
      > __________
      > / \
      > \__________/
      >
      > What more may be considered a flatbow, is a description of when the
      limbs spread out considerably wider than the riser. The flatbow is
      generally a shorter bow than the longbow. I have an American longbow,
      which the belly and back are flat. I have a hickory backed yew bow,
      which I built, which is about halfway between a flatbow and a
      true "D" section longbow.

      > Here is a good archery dictonary page:
      > http://hometown.aol.com/tradbowmd/archdict.htm
      >
      > And here would be where you can get in touch with people involved
      in archery in your area:
      > http://www.tnc.ab.ca/~sca/officers.htm
      >
      > Hope all that is clearer than mud :)
      >
      > Godwin

      Thanks Godwin,
      that does help a bit... I'm starting to realize I know way less than
      I thought I did. :) Now that I'm humbled enough to admit it, I'm
      willing to learn.

      Ok, so if I'm 5'10 (which I am, by the way) and my persona is early
      12th century pretty-much-english-a-bit-celtic... what would my
      options be? :) Or have I made it difficult by choosing a curious
      persona?
      ~Elbreth

      Message: 7
      Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 22:39:55 -0700
      From: Carolus Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: Types of bows...Was Newbie question...

      Flatbows and longbows were both known but evidence of their use is scarce
      among the English at this time. No significant evidence of major
      military use of any archery, though indications are that it existed in
      scattered use. Best evidence is the use of the long bow by the Welch at
      this time. Sport archery was probably scarce, if it existed at all
      outside of personal challenges, and hunting information is probably out
      there though I don't know of much serious collected scholarship. The
      Eastern recurve was know through the Crusades but there is no evidence of
      its having been brought back to Western Europe. Best suggestion from
      here - do some reading, create a best guess speculation to justify your
      choice and go with what you want. Don't claim it to be anything more
      than what it is and have fun.

      In service to the dream
      Carolus von Eulenhorst
      eulenhorst@...

      On Mon, 05 Aug 2002 04:46:12 -0000 "elbrethofmontrose"
      <pk_lioness@...> writes:
      > snip<
      >
      > Thanks Godwin,
      > that does help a bit... I'm starting to realize I know way less than
      >
      > I thought I did. :) Now that I'm humbled enough to admit it, I'm
      > willing to learn.
      >
      > Ok, so if I'm 5'10 (which I am, by the way) and my persona is early
      >
      > 12th century pretty-much-english-a-bit-celtic... what would my
      > options be? :) Or have I made it difficult by choosing a curious
      > persona?
      > ~Elbreth

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

      Message: 8
      Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 23:06:53 -0700
      From: John Edgerton <sirjon1@...>
      Subject: Re: Bow Tuning

      atruemark@... wrote:

      > Ok, ok, you guys. Sheesh, ask a couple questions....
      >
      > I have a Hun as well, and it's taken me quite awhile to get it to shoot
      > consistently and decently. Here's what I've found;
      >
      > Nock point high, like you've described. Arrow spined 10lbs over at drawlength
      > (30"). The more draw, the better the bow shoots. Be wery, wery careful
      > about torquing the bow - weird little flat handle and a "conventional" hand
      > hold doesn't get it. Try to be as absolutely still as possible in all
      > aspects of the release and follow through.

      What type of grip position do you suggest? And how tightly do you hold it?

      Jon

      > Doing all that mean I just manage to get the bow to shoot into the 100's in
      > the RR.
      >
      > The problem you describe sounds like a combination of nock set adjustment
      > and, maybe, uneven finger pressure on the release.
      >
      > Hope that helps,
      >
      > Andras Truemark, OGGS
      > Aquaterra, AnTir

      Message: 9
      Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 00:16:13 -0700
      From: Jaime Tiampo <fugu@...>

      John Edgerton wrote:

      > What type of grip position do you suggest? And how tightly do you hold it?

      I hold it loosely in the crux between my fore finger and my thumb. I
      gently rest the rest of my finger tops against the front of the handle.
      The bottom of my hand is in contact with the top of the serving on the
      bow that joins the limb to the handle. For release I allow my string
      hand to pull back as a follow through.

      --
      Ts'ai T'ien-p'u