Archery Laurel requirements?

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 84 , Aug 17, 2002
      A discussion about what the basic SCA wide standards or requirements for
      an archery Laurel should be has been going on the SCA-4peerage list. So
      I have decided to ask the archery and missile combat list members three
      questions.

      1) Is such a set of standards needed? And why or why not?

      2) If there were to be a set of standards for an archery laurel, what do
      you believe the standards or requirements should include?

      e.g.: What types of bows should they shoot? What kind of scores should
      they have? What competitions, if any, should they have scores in? Should
      they be in a certain percentage level or score level, SCA wide or
      kingdom wide, in certain competitions to be considered? Should they
      make or at least know how to make their own gear? Should they archery
      marshal and if so how often? Should they teach and if so how much?
      Should they write articles on archery? Should they do combat archery in
      additional to target archery? Could they do combat archery only? etc.,
      etc..

      The above are just a few possible suggestions. There are many more
      possible standards and some of the above you might not consider as
      necessary.

      3) Should such a possible set of suggested archery Laurel standards be
      SCA wide ? Or should any suggested standards be on a kingdom by kingdom
      basis with consideration made for the standards and background of each
      kingdom?

      Please post any responses to both the archery and missile lists.

      Thanks for any opinions you may offer.

      Jon
    • dateyukiie
      Message 84 of 84 , Sep 10, 2002

        > How about going for the period look. A slate and chalk.

        Harold,
        On the back of the slate you could paint neatly a few common
        phrases that anyone in a teaching position might use, such as
        "stand with your feet wider" - "hold the string closer to your
        cheek" - "relax" - "Please don't shoot my Knight" etc. I', sure you
        get the idea. A running list could be gathered, and then if you are
        assisting someone, you could flip the slate and point to a phrase
        and smile...it could save an awfull lot of writing in the long run...
        Just a thought

        Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
        Kyudoka