7949Re: [SCA-Archery] What constitutes a period bow?

  • john moore
    Jan 2, 2002
      Nigel, on this I would have to disagree with you on this. In general most
      European bows were based on a flatbow design. The long bow that we know of
      is pretty much limited to the welsh and english. Most good sources in
      england will even go so far as to say that they are one and the same. The
      thing to remember is that there are only two good sources of yew in Europe,
      England and Spain, the spanish being considered the better. The lack of
      good wood on the European mainland was one of the contributing factors to
      the rise of the crossbows prominence. Ash is a good substitute but one must
      remember that the dearth of material about ELB are from the Mary Rose.
      There is not enough documentation as the bows did not survive the years. So
      one could not say, that a ELB has to be just Yew or Ash. I do agree that no
      matter what you build it should have excellent documentation, but do not
      limit it to only the ELB. Flatbows, Hornbows and Sinew-backed bows were
      common in period.(Check out some of the Scandinavian traditional websites)

      Iaen Mor