794Re: Crossbow Questions

  • D Humberson
    Sep 28, 1999
      Alberic,

      Egon Harmuth's "Die Armbrust" has very clear line drawings of 2 large pistol
      crossbows, and a period Chinese drawing of a man firing one. They were
      sized to need 2 hands, and apparently used bundled bamboo prods. If my
      extremely rusty German serves, the bows were 3rd century.

      The bows both have modern-style triggers and trigger guards, although lock
      details are lacking.

      The drawing shows an archer holding the bow well away from himself, in a
      slight crouch. He supports the bow with his left hand under the forestock,
      holds the pistol grip in his right, and is sighting along the bolt. The
      prod is clearly several bamboo sections tied together, and appears to be
      longer, tip to tip, than the bow is nose to grip.

      I saw two repros of this bow at Pennsic years ago, done as notchlocks and
      using Iolo's prods. They were not very well made, and shot horribly.

      Ragnar Ketilsson