7543Re: [SCA-Archery] Apples and Oranges?

  • atruemark@aol.com
    Nov 30, 2001
      In a message dated 11/30/01 6:40:33 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      kdtaylor611@... writes:

      > Who was it who thought that Crossbow and Bow could
      > even be closely resembled in regards to competition
      > and performance? And why hasn't it been changed? The
      > ONLY thing they really have in common is wind
      > factor... that I can see anyhow. It's like comparing a
      > rifle and a pistol... sorta. Either way, it's apples
      > and oranges.

      Aha! Another pot that gets stirred, with interesting results. I,
      personally, feel that a crossbow has an "unfair advantage" against a handbow,
      in that the string is held by a mechanical device at full draw (no
      possiblility of string creep) and the mechanical holding device allows for
      much more consistent release. In AnTir, the target archery rules are written
      such that a crossbow cannot compete against a handbow in any official
      competition, but must compete only against other crossbows in its own class.
      I am known as a handbow shooter, so I may be biased in this regard, but when
      I feel the need to "answer the challenge" against crossbows, I simply
      unlimber my Alistair period style crossbow and let fly. The results are
      usually satisfactory.

      Andras Truemark, OGGS