6888Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: wishes to find a marshal... (Reality)

  • Brad Wolf
    Aug 6, 2001
      I think it is time to set the records straight here.

      First and foremost let me say that at no time has 'the individual in
      question' applied to become a Warranted Archery Marshal in Artemisia. I
      have asked him about this numerous times, even asking him to consider the
      position of Deputy Archer General for Southern Artemisia, but the
      response has always been to the tune of "I could not possibly do that."
      I have a long list of the better part of 100 e-mails that I have
      received in the past two months criticizing the way I run archery in
      Artemisia, and how I have been very unfair in working with the demands of
      a single archer. Archery is a babe in the woods in Artemisia, where I
      started Kingdom archery with nothing but an appointment by His Majesty at
      Crown Tournament in October of 1998. Since then I have created an
      Archery Handbook, put together a corps of trustworthy, stable Marshals,
      and encouraged archers to shoot for score and become involved. Based on
      the populace of Artemisia, this has met with solid success. Over one
      fourth of the populace of the Kingdom has tried at least once their hand
      at a bow or crossbow. Last year, Artemisia's first entry into the IKAC
      with crossbowmen did well, especially considering that the most
      experienced of the crossbowmen in Artemisia have been shooting crossbow
      for less than 4 years. Most archers in Artemisia have had little to no
      experience with medieval archery before coming to me wishing to learn
      more. Some of my best examples are people who have been shooting for
      slightly over a year, one with crossbow and one with recurve, and they
      have gone from learning the basics to putting out some impressive scores,
      with even more impressive aims for period re-creation.
      I don't brag about scores in Artemisia. In truth, I do not personally
      weigh heavily into IKAC and Royal Round scores because both shoots are
      not period. I understand their need in the Society as a way to equally
      test the skill of archers from Oertha to Drachenwald, and their service
      to recognize archers for their ability. The difficulty is in how to
      score the bow handmade from a stave of "witch" elm, or the archer who
      acquires a 100+ pound longbow because it is an authentic weight? They
      pursue these items because they strive to recreate the archer of
      centuries past, not to shoot a great score.
      If this gentle has something to offer archery in the SCA besides his
      ability to say his piece and boast his ability to shoot well in practice,
      then let it come forth. Otherwise, let our talk turn to more
      constructive topics on this list of SCA-Archery; not Olympic shoots, not
      Las Vegas scoring.

      Braden

      Ld. K. Braden von Sobernheim
      - Archer General of Artemisia
      MoAS of Arn Hold, Baroness' Champion
      Protector of the Gryphon's Arrows for TRMs Konrad and Kortland
    • Show all 42 messages in this topic