5463Re: [SCA-Archery] Fletching question

  • Simon Hondy
    Mar 3, 2001
      Good morning bright and early fletchers,

      I would agree with Connor's findings, on my 11/32nd shaft I have shield
      cuts. Using the distance of 1 3/4" gives plenty of room to hold the nock,
      especially when on the line. On a set I made for my lady, with 5/16ths
      shaft I made the Indian style wedge shaped fletches, much like the Pope and
      Young style. They are 1 1/2" from the end of the nock and we find it is a
      little crowded to hold onto. That extra 1/4 inch would make them 'roomier'
      and easier to grip.

      Simon Hondy
      Baile na Scolairi

      <<From: "Ronnie E. Hewitt" <watashe@...>>>

      > Greetings Calum Friseal,
      > My fletcher is set at about 1 3/4 from the fletching to the end of the
      > nock...My multi-fletcher is set the same as well...seems to be the
      > standard...wish ya luck
      > Connor O' Connor
      > Laird of Family Owls Lair
      > ><< From: ravn@... [mailto:ravn@...]>>
      > >
      > > Greetings,
      > >
      > > How does one decide how far down to place fletches? Is there an optimum
      > > distance from the nock, and/or a corresponding rule of thumb? I use
      > > "traditional"/Pope & Young shape, and up to this point have been placing
      > > them just far enough down to prevent them from interfering with grabbing
      > > them. Oddly enough, this is about a thumbs width from the bottom of the
      > > nock...;).
      > >
      > > At any rate, if anyone has any suggestions/feedback, I thank you
      > > in advance.
      > >
      > > In service
      > >
      > > Calum Friseal
      > > Barony of Stonemarche