3591Re: [SCA-Archery] tassels?

  • jrosswebb1@webtv.net
    Oct 1, 2000
      I also carry a tassle off of my quiver to wipe off arrows after they
      have been shot in the field. The one that I carry is black,which has no
      meaning of rank. In the British longbow Society the colors have specific
      meanings. The tassles are awarded at the end of a shoot. Gold is given
      to the archer that has hit the gold the most times in a round. White is
      given to the archer that has hit the petticoat of the target the most
      times(the outer white ring) and Green is given to the archer that has
      hit the grass the most times( no one wants the green one). I have won
      the gold tassle, but I don't carry it as it is wy too elegant looking
      for a sruffy woodsman like myself. I don't know what the colors mean in
      different kingdoms in our society(in the East we give badges), but if
      you are going to participate in mundane shooting, I thought you may want
      to know how the different colors are perceived. An earlier archer stated
      that he or she thought that the tassle dated from the 1800's,-possibly
      but I seem to recall seeing reference to it going back into the 1700's,
      in any case, I don't believe it is period to SCA. Nevertheless, tassles
      are a useful and attractive tool for the field archer, and the tassle as
      a decorative item goes back to ancient times.
      Respectfully submitted,
      Geoffrei St. Albans of Eastwood

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic