35588Re: Documentation for: Re: [SCA-Archery] Longbow backing

  • Carolus
    Jun 26, 2014
      Recent evidence has shown that furniture, walls, etc were heavily decorated but that the paints and finishes did not survive and therefore, for many years, it was believed that there was little decorative treatment in the medieval period.  It is only with teh availability of sophisticated scientific instruments that we have different evidence.  Much of this is still only available in scarce professional journals so it is not in the common "everyone knows" realm yet.  With this in mind, I would say go ahead and decorate your bows bearing in mind that the practice is consistent with period concepts but not provable.
      Carolus
      On 6/26/2014 10:30 AM, John Edgerton sirjon1@... [SCA-Archery] wrote:

      "...but I don't recall anything I've read that says that Period bows were decorated."

       It may be correct that period longbows were not decorated. However, there are numerous examples of period laminated recurves/horsebows/etc. being both covered and decorated.

      Jon

      On Thursday, June 26, 2014 7:55 AM, "richard johnson rikjohnson39@... [SCA-Archery]" <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      the only time you NEED backing like that is when the back is tillered to the point where it may splinter.
      A good piece of wood and a decent tiller who doesn't expect perfect lines wouldn't need to back.

      In my case, I am not a historian, just someone knowledgeable enough to ask questions to fill my gaps and thought that backing my new longbow (the post office sent it to the wrong address so it has to be redelivered) would make it more 'period'.
      It appears that I am incorrect.

      Lord of Rings always has these decorated bows but I don't recall anything I've read that says that Period bows were decorated.
      Which makes another question.  Modern hunters paint their bows or make camo-sleeves to blend in.  Of course these same guys wear forest-camo clothes forgetting that deer are color-blind so they should wear orange mottled clothes to save an unexpected bullet in the back.

      Anyone recall hearing is the Period hunter would camo his bows?

      On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 7:36 AM, David Nolan davnolan88@... [SCA-Archery] <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I, too, am wondering where this "linen backing" period documentation is. From my conversations with Steve Stratton and other members of the English Warbow society who have had extensive experience handling the bows themselves...there was no evidence of any backing materials.

      However, if there's new documentation saying differently, I'd be interested in hearing about it!

      YIS.
      Aengus O'Nuallain

      On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 9:53 AM, Siegfried siegfried@... [SCA-Archery] <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      On 6/24/14, 6:28 PM, crispinanthwyr@... [SCA-Archery] wrote:
      > There is evidence at least some of the Mary Rose bows
      > were linen backed and there are contemporary descriptions of linen
      > backed longbows.

      Can you (or someone) provide some documentation for this? Back when I
      researched and made a longbow of my own ... and when I was playing with
      making wooden crossbow prods...

      I could find no documentation that linen/cloth backing of any kind was
      period. In fact, when the first website came around with someone
      selling inexpensive longbows (woodbows.com I believe), that were linen
      backed...

      I swear I remember everyone saying how 'modern' they were, not period, etc.

      Now everyone on this thread is taking linen backing as period.

      So what changed. Who has some documentation, I'm interested!

      Siegfried

      --
      Barun Siegfried Sebastian Faust, OP - Baron Highland Foorde - Atlantia

      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com