      From: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com]
      Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 5:59 PM
      To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] linen backed longbow

      I looked and found nothing regarding something as common and replacable as cattle horns on the Boone site.

      Everything was exotic: elephant ivory, seacow ribs, walrus tusk.  things that people buy to brag about.

      On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 2:29 PM, John Chapin scacrazyviking@... [SCA-Archery] <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Boone trading has cow horns starting at $5 and going up from there depending on size and quality   http://www.boonetrading.com/    look on ebay for antler tips.  they are fairly inexpensive

      Thorin Grjotgardhsson

      On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:40 PM, Will Terada will.terada@... [SCA-Archery] <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      petsmart and petco is selling antler pieces. abit expensive but you can get them for tips. beyond that havent made a bow yet, still reading the bowyer bibles

      On Jun 24, 2014 8:20 AM, "richard johnson rikjohnson39@... [SCA-Archery]" <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I was at the post moffice yesterday eve and found a signature card for a "long thin package".  Obviously my Longbow has arrived!  So I signed the card and requested that it be delivered to my house.

      As all my other bows are either fiberglass recurves or flat self-bows, this is my first actual "Longbow" with the "D" cross-section. GIBow.com for $60 gave me a 45# 72" Hickory longbow... unfinished.

      I'll still have to do a staining and minor sanding, wrap the handle but then, that's the fun of the thing!  To personalize your bow.  Actually I bought two, one for my daughter<g>.

      Although the bow can be shot from the box, it is the personalizing that I enjoy, I just cannot leave anything alone.

      So here are the cosmetic additions, and I recognize that they are cosmetic here.

      I am seeking cow horns to make tips (which are difficult to find even in Arizona).  I may have to actually splurge and buy ready-made tips though I'd prefer to cut and shape my own from a raw horn.  Plus the remaining horn can be made into a case to hold my extra string, wax and a few extras.

      Why tips?  Yew is soft and the strings tend to act as a saw, chewing away at the tips until they  snap.  A sacrificial horn-tip will prolong the life of the bow.  Hickory bows are much harder and modern strings cause less abrasion so the tips are decorative.

      Linen backings are mainly to prevent splinters from popping out of the back of the bow.  Again, with straight-grained Hickory, this is not necessary but cosmetic.  It gives a more 'traditional' look to the bow.

      So, question is, anyone have experience or advice or gut thoughts here?

      I've never tipped or backed a bow so am totally a student in these areas.

      --
      Rick Johnson
      http://Rick-Johnson.webs.com

      Rick Johnson