      From: J. Hughes <jphughessr@...>
      To: "SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com" <SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:36 AM
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Crossbow period back quiver

      Sir Jon,
      I found the image very interesting for more than just the quiver.
      Donahoe's Magazine, Volume 18 July 1887 to January 1888 p 91 gives the legend of shooting the bull. A arrow shot into a cave during the shooting of the bull was flung back at the archer. A bishop praying revealed that it was St Michael himself in the cave and the saint wanted a church built on the spot. Since the depictions show crossbowmen as well as hand bowmen, I would presume that one could switch out bolt for arrow.
      There are several paintings of this legend ranging from early Spanish to colonial Mexico. The Shooting of the Bull on Mount Gargano by Master of Armures is for auction at Sotheby’s is one of them
       I was unable to firmly date and place the image from the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Do you have details or should I dispatch my agents in the Philadelphia area?
       Charles O'Connor
      On Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:40 AM, Karl W. Evoy <kweancel@...> wrote:
      Shooting at Holy Cows, tisk tisk :)
      Interesting quiver; I'm not sure I see the advantage over a hip quiver for crossbows, though.
      Maybe one less thing on the belt, esp. while riding?